Why the crazy sheaths?

As to your theory about everything being in one place...I heed that concept for theft but not for loss. I don't worry much about theft in the woods. As to loss, my knife rig is the only single item that will never leave my side....the only true "From my cold, dead fingers" item that I carry into the bush.

Regarding 'crazy sheaths' or whatever, my experience has been different from the OP's. I have a number of multi-functional sheaths for some of my bush/survival knives. I've always carried a stacked leuku/puukko sheath on bush trips and have several sheaths for other knives that I have modified over the years---usually done around a campfire out of boredom and with whatever was available. Results in some unique sheath mods....

One example---my HEST II Woodsman, a fine leather, full snap-flap sheath: I incorporated my SeberTool case (leather) by stitching it onto the sheath flap (perfect fit) with an awl...this carries the Sebertool and a set of slimmer tools slid in behind it---a coin w/ 5 screwdriver blades, as well as an armoured magnifying lens---both in turn attached to the case by thin leather twines to prevent loss. It doesn't impede access to the knife at all as everything sits tightly attached to the sheath flap. I unsnap it, lift it.....snap the whole package back closed. When I work out of the SeberTool case the knife flap remains snapped closed and undisturbed.

Behind this, at the top, I rigged two leather-loop hang points mounted for anything small I might want to temporarily attach by caribiner for immediate access.​

On the blade part of the sheath I have a mini-buckle leather strap cinched around the center area to hold smaller slip-in items to momentarily free up my hands or carry something; looks good when it's empty too. Also, via some leather lacing (also providing for the usual basic "emergency cord" be-prepared B.S.)wrapped to enhance the look of the sheath, I've hung a draping loop of copper biker chain which drapes the face of the sheath (also looking damn good) and makes an excellent gravity holder for my fire-steel or small flashlight when tripping around camp or anything else I need to secure there for a few. I added two brass hang points to this area of the sheath as well---one a keyring-type, one a D-ring. Like having a couple of gear magnets:

Say I'm standing in a trout stream up to my knees, catching browns all day long wearing only cutoffs, a belt and my HEST II rig...using the SAK I also carry to gut em as I catch em....no place to lay the SAK down for a second as the little bastard fins me and squirms around. I clip its lanyard to one of the hang points on my sheath, the folder dangles while I do what's needed, then unclip it and have it back in hand. A lot better than closing it, putting it in a pocket then having to get it out and open it again while holding dangerous wild game in the other hand.

In winter? The first thing I do when I need to remove my glove(s) for something---clip the glove clips to a hang point on my sheath. The gloves ain't going anywhere even if I get distracted now. And if it warms up they hang beside my sheath all day. So what?

Anything attached to my knife sheath will NOT be lost.​

I also rigged my Camillus USMC sheath to carry my Ka-Bar Acheron piggyback when needed and it's very handy.

Bottom line, IMO being able to secure items to a sheath quickly can prove useful in many ways throughout a day in the woods.

EDIT: I like those little ESSE packs that attach to the smaller sheaths too. Perfect for what we are talking about.

Photos !

My knife sheath never. never. NEVER leaves my body. I built it and I did so knowing that it should NEVER leave my body....so I made my own belt as well. did I mention my knife NEVER leaves my body? Not even when I'm sleeping or taking a dump?

A few years ago I got dumped out of a canoe on a solo mountain excursion and everything not attached to my sorry butt was in the drink, floating away fairly quickly. Canoe? I was guy-lined to it but had to wrestle the crap out of it until I hit more shallow/calmer water.

For the next 2 days I searched the river banks for the remnants of my gear...some of which I found [thank GOD my pack got hung up on a downed tree] but much of it I didn't. Canoe oar? gone. Food supplies [in the pack]? most of it ruined. Tent in the side pouch of the pack? gigantic hole in it from being speared on that tree. Compass? gone. Maps? gone. Wetterlings Hunter? torn right off the pack [sniff sniff :hopelessness: ]. EVERYTHING left? waterlogged.......

For those two days [early summertime] no one would think on how effin cold it gets in the mountains but it does. The small tins stored in my "You really need that gignormus sheath?" were what kept me warm, dry [eventually] and [for the most part] fed [hand fishing tackle]. My woodscraft skills were definitely put to the test and had it NOT been for that "WTF do you need that for?" sheath, I'd probably be dead or darned near it. Hell...I'm lucky I didn't crack my skull on a rock when the canoe rolled...

I made my own sheath [leather] and it's awesome for what I want. I don't care what anyone says about it and like here [as well as other forums], there are those who love them and those who hate them.

If you do any kind of bushcraft. you need to take the same approach. The ONE tool you absolutely need most is your knife. Anything else can be fashioned from something else....like an oar [as an example].

Fire craft? I hate bow drills. I have made/used them in the past but they can be the suck to get going [esp. in damp/mountain weather]. Sparking off your blade? Did that too but it's not optimal. Ferro rod? Works when wet, works in sub zero weather and when it's 109* F. Where you gonna' keep that gear? In your pack that just floated downstream or on your side at all times?

The point is, if that sheath has some things that have the potential to save your life -- and YOU like/want that type of sheath? To Hell with what everyone else says and use the damned thing. If you don't like it? Fine too...that's your prerogative. Hopefully, you'll never be put into a situation where you might need that kind of gear but if you need it and it's not there...you can be screwed royally.

Last edited:
Cool story druid. :thumbup:

Oh yeah...cool story - now - but while it was happening, it was a total SNAFU and to be totally honest, effin scary at the time. Truly, it knocks the "cocky" right out of a person.

I mean think about it....you have been bushcrafting/camping/hunting/hiking/boating for decades [for me now, over 30 years] but you are in a totally new area and have a chip on your shoulder. That 'chip' forces your ego to do the stupid and throw caution to the wind [and yep, I'm man enough to admit it LOL]. How did I feel about the situation? I cannot convey the proper words without violating about a dozen forum rules....

Your boat flips on a freaking boulder that was all but invisible in the mildly decent chop of a nice river. You are thrown from the boat, only to get dragged by it as it sinks and screams downstream. After Mother Nature starts B*-slapping your insignificance to her master plan, you finally wrestle your boat and tired, panicky butt to shore and take a few moments [more like 20 mins or so] to ask forgiveness for every bad or stupid thing you've ever done.........twice.

You collect your thoughts and begin by realizing you are MILES from your starting point and have no clue the distance to your destination.....and all your gear is looking for a resting place in Davy Jones' Locker....which includes your cell phone, extra battery, camera and all your 'luxury' equipment.

.......and all you have left is what's on your body....

I was wearing a tee shirt, had a Flannel shirt tied around my waist, cargo shorts [cut from BDU pants] + leather belt+knife sheath/tin, underwear, socks and hiking boots. I wore a [cheap] digital wrist watch that got smashed on a rock or something [under water] - the lens looked like a windshield after getting hit with a .22. BTW the main blade was a commercial USMC KA*BAR [No, I was not in the Service].
In my pockets I had a folding knife on a tether [Buck Crosslock], pack of smokes+torch lighter and can of Skoal in a small dry bag. In another pocket I had 25' of paracord and an Altoids can of home-made tinder [cotton balls coated in Vaseline]. I still had my wallet [which has a small Fresno lens] and a small plastic water bottle [store bought, think it was like 12 oz or so]. That's it and that was it for 2 days. Yeah, it was only 2 days but I was freaking lucky. I was able to reclaim about 75% of what I started with but if Lady Luck didn't show up, I'd have been SOL until I got out of there. That was days dude....DAYS. Would have been Hella-longer if I lost the boat all together.....

No phone to call someone, no oar to continue boating [until I made a new one].

Now...yes I smoke and yes I had multiple fire sources on my person - but that's me. For those who don't smoke, they might not have as many ignition sources on them. That means they have to dedicate a [few] fire source for their excursion and to many people, these "wtf?" sheaths are the perfect answer. They can have a dedicated sheath for a specific activity and if they trek different terrains they can gear each sheath to each terrain. I don't do ocean stuff and I certainly don't do deserts. Dense, wooded mountains are my thing, so I gear myself to that situation. One sheath, one main blade and the Altoids can stuffed with "please let me survive this screw up" gear.

I'll be the first to admit they aren't for everyone....but they are for me. In fact, I'm sketching out a new sheath for a new knife I'm planning on buying. The KA*BAR fighter needs a replacement and I'm thinking something along the lines of a Becker BK9 or Tahoma Field knife. That's going to take a LOT of leather but I'll also be able to make it hold more than one Altoids tin :)

So, you're saying that we should all take up smoking?

:)

I bet that pack of smokes was one of the more relieving things to find in your stranded condition. I'd be rolling tree bark in leaves myself. Talk about dire.

All kidding aside, it's a pretty interesting experience. I've been in a few myself, but nothing like that. I think I'd just give in and die immediately. Like an hour in, I'd say screw it and roll over. Hands and feet in the air like a cow.

I have a separate thread in the wilderness forum, but let me ask you, do you prefer a ferro rod or magnesium block starter? If one over the other, why?

So, you're saying that we should all take up smoking?

:)

I bet that pack of smokes was one of the more relieving things to find in your stranded condition. I'd be rolling tree bark in leaves myself. Talk about dire.

All kidding aside, it's a pretty interesting experience. I've been in a few myself, but nothing like that. I think I'd just give in and die immediately. Like an hour in, I'd say screw it and roll over. Hands and feet in the air like a cow.

I have a separate thread in the wilderness forum, but let me ask you, do you prefer a ferro rod or magnesium block starter? If one over the other, why?

LOL....

haven't seen a wilderness forum...:eek:...now yer gonna' make me go find it :eek:nthego:......

When you buy a ferro rod, it's the only thing that throws sparks AND THEN only with carbon steel strikers. The best ones are mischmetal and some sites actually advertise this...most don't.

The Magnesium block itself is just a combustible metal that aids in tinder ignition but it doesn't spark on its own. You scrape small shavings/dust off the mag block and shower it with sparks from a ferro rod - BUT -

APPARENTLY NOT ALL MAG BLOCKS WORK!!

I found this video quite a while back and I was like "omg.....what if?!?"

[video=youtube;frDMAOlIGaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frDMAOlIGaY[/video]

...and tried mine immediately. Newsflash for me....mine were actually the Doan bars LOL. The Doan mag blocks work exactly as in the video [have 2 and both work great] but apparently there are import versions that just FAIL to ignite.

Here's a link to the good ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Doan-Magnesium-Fire-Starter-Tool/dp/B0079SEGO2

I have to be completely honest with you though....I have them but I just don't use a magnesium block for fire starting. I make my own tinder packets using the extra large cotton balls and coat the crap out of them with Vaseline for that "just in case" scenario. Then I seal them individually in a makeshift envelope of Reynold's Wrap and put them in an Altoids box [that if needed, I can make char cloth in]. I use these if it's getting late and I don't want to screw around getting a fire lit. Keeping woodsman skills honed is important but there are just some times that you hiked longer than expected...it got darker faster than you anticipated...or weather came in that was unannounced.

But I do use Ferro rods and I get mine here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LD3RIP8...TF8&colid=33UYQRZ84A3KN&coliid=I1TTEWOXFCL75M

They are simply frikkin awesome. These light anything dry or even damp [not soaking wet though]. For soaking wet, add the magnesium powder and hope for the best...LOL.

Druid,
Just so you know, you don't need carbon steel for ferro rod, I've used the spine of S30V folder to start a fire with ferro rod.
In the wilderness forum there was a thread quite a while ago where a guy was showing that a sharp edged rock will throw sparks off ferro rod too, not as well as steel but will work if you're in tight corner.

Which should also answer Omega's question, mag bar requires really sharp edge to scrape the magnesium into usable tinder, which usually means the cutting edge of the knife.

By the way, this is a rig I recently made for a buddy of mine
4969AA74-76DD-4873-A922-A0B3673E8508_zpsdjgqkl97.jpg

Sheath holds a fire starter (ferro with scraper) and sharpening stone, and the drop loop houses altoids tin. And there's a whole bunch of holes for attaching paracord.

Now that is a nifty sheath set up, pretty smart utilizing the dangler loop for the tin holder. :)

For me the smaller the foot print of the sheath the better. I want it light and tight. No extra weight and nothing to snag and get caught when bush whacking.

Druid,
Just so you know, you don't need carbon steel for ferro rod, I've used the spine of S30V folder to start a fire with ferro rod.
In the wilderness forum there was a thread quite a while ago where a guy was showing that a sharp edged rock will throw sparks off ferro rod too, not as well as steel but will work if you're in tight corner.

Which should also answer Omega's question, mag bar requires really sharp edge to scrape the magnesium into usable tinder, which usually means the cutting edge of the knife.

That's odd because I had a u"US" folding pocket knife that was 420 SS and couldn't get a spark if I threw electricity at it...

...and I will NEVER sacrifice the cutting edge of a blade for the sake of throwing sparks. That's why I get blades with a sharp 90* spine...or file a 90* spot onto a rounded spine....or better yet, carry the striker and a spare or 2. My KA*BAR lost its blackened finish because of that. Nice sharp mill file on the spine and I can throw sparks until the rod disappears from use.

By the way, this is a rig I recently made for a buddy of mine

Sheath holds a fire starter (ferro with scraper) and sharpening stone, and the drop loop houses altoids tin. And there's a whole bunch of holes for attaching paracord.

That's a really nice rig. I personally loathe a dangler [can't stand the feeling of it banging against my leg] but a lot of people love them. More power to them and the customer gets what the customer wants...

Not me. I'm good with a "bulky" sheath, having a pouch or 3 sewn right to it but not one slapping the crap outta me like a hooker on Friday night :D

Paying hookers to slap you around on Fridays is your business, I can't help ya. :p

I think the idea that you must use carbon steel has something to do with actually using flint, I can't remember exactly why that idea persists.

Having to use the edge of the knife (without having a better tool for the job) for the mag block is a good point. I've played with mag blocks, but haven't been very successful with them, but it's easy to give up when you have a bic and camp fluid.

I plan to try both ferro rod and mag block next time I go camping. We'll see. I know either tool will do the job, just thinking more about form factor and how they are incorporated into the sheath design.

The dangler detaches with removal of 2 screws. And with all the holes along the sides it's easy to stop it from slapping with some paracord, or other cordage.

Paying hookers to slap you around on Fridays is your business, I can't help ya. :p

I think the idea that you must use carbon steel has something to do with actually using flint, I can't remember exactly why that idea persists.

Having to use the edge of the knife (without having a better tool for the job) for the mag block is a good point. I've played with mag blocks, but haven't been very successful with them, but it's easy to give up when you have a bic and camp fluid.

I plan to try both ferro rod and mag block next time I go camping. We'll see. I know either tool will do the job, just thinking more about form factor and how they are incorporated into the sheath design.

lol...

Technically speaking, you can get spark from carbon steel and any rock with a hardness of 7 or greater on the Mohs scale. Flint is in the same category as Chert [in fact, flint is harder to find...being it's usually embedded in limestone deposits].

mohs_scale.jpg

cc-mohs-scale_10745916.jpg

...and simply striking it against any carbon steel will produce a spark.

As for a mag block, if you have a leatherman or other multitool...using the file would be a better choice. If not, knapping a sharp edge on a rock would do well also.

As to a design to incorporate a mag block into a sheath....I'd probably avoid a dedicated pouch/pocket, in favor of just having the customer throw it in a large[r] pouch. A lot of people just use Ferro rods. For Ferro rods, the commonly seen loops are absolutely fine. My only suggestion would be is if you make sheaths out of 5/6 oz leather, make the loop out of heavier leather....9/10 oz...and the loop at least two-to-three inches long. In my experience, many commercial ferro rods are 3/8" diameter and are easily fractured/broken from impact on trees, thick brush or pressure against the leg/hip. Making the ferro loop longer and of thicker leather helps protect it. Also, the bottom of the loop should have a bit of a "hook" appearance so that any elastic on the rod can be stretched over the loop and engage that hook. That's in case the rod is shorter than the actual loop and still have a measure of retention. Here's n example:

The dangler detaches with removal of 2 screws. And with all the holes along the sides it's easy to stop it from slapping with some paracord, or other cordage.

Oh I understand bud....I just don't like them myself. The tie-downs are [and always have been] a nice touch but then that means I have paracord digging into my leg or pinching my yambag....lol.

I think it depends on HOW the knife is to be used. The primary purpose of the sheath is to protect you and the blade. The secondary purpose is to make it convenient to access your tool. Sometimes extras on the sheath aid in convenience.

My hunting knife has a basic pouch sheath. Nothing extra is needed.

My bushcraft knife has a firesteel loop. When bushcrafting those are my two most used tools so I keep them handy and together but I have a backup fire kit and knife in my pack.

My big 5" 3V camp knife/woodsbumming/survival/do-it-all/go-to blade has a sheath with a pouch for a Leatherman and lighter on it. Then I get big knife, small knife, multi-tool, and fire source all in one spot on my hip. Yet again, if I'm deep in the woods I have backups for those essential tools in my pack.

Also understand that any time I'm in the woods I have my canteen kit attached to my belt. It contains my canteen, small tarp, and a survival kit of sorts on it. Between my skills, my canteen kit, and a good knife I am confident that I can make it reasonably comfortable for a few days. I'm certainly not a prepper/survival guru but I am an avid outdoorsman and like to be prepared for an unexpected night or two.

Last edited:
Personally I never had anything attached to my sheath when I carried a fixed blade daily ( many years ago now , I culled feral goats for a living in New Zealand ) .
I spent my days from dawn till dusk on foot , by myself , in very rugged terrain .
My other essential items were carried in a Bum Bag ( I think you guys call them a Fanny Pack ) , my knife was attached to the belt part of that .
So I had everything I needed on that one belt system , just a different way of skinning a cat I suppose .

Ken

Personally I never had anything attached to my sheath when I carried a fixed blade daily ( many years ago now , I culled feral goats for a living in New Zealand ) .
I spent my days from dawn till dusk on foot , by myself , in very rugged terrain .
My other essential items were carried in a Bum Bag ( I think you guys call them a Fanny Pack ) , my knife was attached to the belt part of that .
So I had everything I needed on that one belt system , just a different way of skinning a cat I suppose .

Ken
Couldn't be a fanny pack. No one would admit to that. :p

Couldn't be a fanny pack. No one would admit to that. :p

I did say it was a long time ago , and in my defense it was made for me by a local Canvas sail maker out of super thick old fashioned Sail material for the pouch bit and a thick leather belt sown through it .
So it wasn't your typical tourist number :)
I find it interesting that these days everyone is going for firelighting systems like Fero rods etc .
All we ever carried was a disposable lighter , and some Waxed matches and a small piece of Candle in a sealed screw top pill bottle .
Threaded over the belt sections of the Bum Bag we had lengths of motorcycle tire inner tubes , these were super handy things to have . its surprising what you can fasten up with Rubber bands cut from the inner tube and as well as that they were the best fire starters around . You just cut off a section of rubber and put a match to it . The rubber burns long enough and hot enough to get a fire started even in wet conditions . No one was concerned with the ozone layer and the environment back in those days , but even now when I go hunting which isn't very often , you will still find a piece of bike tube on my belt :)

Ken

Back