Why the fascination with Gransfors?

Thicker bits will have less penetration, which can be a good thing when chopping large targets since there's only so deep you can go without sticking. The thicker geometry also eases release from the wood and creates more lateral force that will help pop a chip. Thinner increases the depth of cut that the axe is able to one-hit and so tends to work better for smaller targets (whether limbs or trees) where simple notching is more effective than chip-popping as a method of cutting.

Thicker bits will have less penetration, which can be a good thing when chopping large targets since there's only so deep you can go without sticking. The thicker geometry also eases release from the wood and creates more lateral force that will help pop a chip. Thinner increases the depth of cut that the axe is able to one-hit and so tends to work better for smaller targets (whether limbs or trees) where simple notching is more effective than chip-popping as a method of cutting.

So simple you wouldn't think you would have to explain it.
For the life of me though I can't understand why people act like vintage axe's didn't come with both thin and thick bits. Back in the day they made axe's for every purpose. And a high center line was not always what was needed.

I have and use both (not for work), but for enjoyment and camping.

My GB SFA got me back into axes, as I wanted a smaller axe, appreciated the old-school and high quality craftsmanship, and it was a present to myself I splurged on. It works fantastically well, takes and holds a wicked edge, and feels great in the hand. It works well for carving duties as well, in which the thin bit really helps. I have a walnut bowl I'm working on, and the SFA has already helped greatly. I have zero regrets getting it, and I plan to keep it forever. The old-world manufacturing and the mostly hand-finishing of the axes is something I truly appreciate; even more now after I've sweat and bled on a few axes. They are simply wonderful, high-quality tools, and I want more of them...that Scandi calls to me every time I see one. I don't see the price as outrageous for something like that, at all.

I also have a number of vintage USA axes and hatchets, and they too are just as awesome. I love every single one...especially the ones I brought back from the dead and rehung. They too work awesome, most keep an awesome edge, and they all feel great in the hand as well. I have various head styles and centerline profiles. They are each designed for different purposes obviously. I'm not about to say my GB SFA splits and bucks as well as my 85+ year old, high-centerline, 3.5-pound Kelly, because the Kelly is fantastic at that stuff. But I sure don't want to use the Kelly for limbing, carving, or splitting kindling. I also have a full-size no-name whose bit is just as thin as the GB; go figure.

My last camping trip I used The Kelly and the GB SFA as companions to each other. Easiest and most enjoyable wood processing ever.

I also have a Benchmade Griptilian H20 that was a few bucks more than my SFA. I don't consider that overpriced for the quality, either.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I have a few hours and a good bit of effort and gas money in a few of my refurbs. Even if it's enjoyable, that's still a cost you incur one way or the other. You simply get to choose what you prefer. :)

Also... how many of us buy $120 folders that don't offer any additional functionality into our collection? I have multiple ~3" folders where 1 will do. Spending the same amount on an axe that provides me with something I didn't have before is much more reasonable, built for some reason people balk at the idea.

This question is similar to "why would you buy a Paramilitary 2 when you can just buy a Tenacious?" and has many of the same answers.
Thats what I always found funny about this. If you're the kind that spends +$100 on a blade, why is it a problem buying a $100 ax?
I hate buying a product and wonder if I'm going to have to get it serviced or sharpen it. GB's seem to have very few lemons and a great reputation.

Thats what I always found funny about this. If you're the kind that spends +$100 on a blade, why is it a problem buying a $100 ax?
I hate buying a product and wonder if I'm going to have to get it serviced or sharpen it. GB's seem to have very few lemons and a great reputation.

I honestly think that the high availability of quality old heads have really distorted our perspective of the worth of a high-standard production axe. Back in the day a reasonable quality head ALONE cost roughly $60 in today's value, and there wasn't a real edge on it to speak of. Today's prices are actually right in line with historical standards, if not actually a little cheaper.

Since getting more knowledgeable poking around in this hobby (meaning the searching out and restoring of old axes) I've not spent more than $25 on an axe at a garage sale or flea market. My favorite axe, a Kelly Perfect Jersey cost me $8 and a few hours of my time to rehang on the old handle, clean up and oil the handle, and de-rust and clean up the head. If you know what you're looking for, good stuff is out there -- and frequently the best stuff looks the worst before you clean it.

15330419602_4bbc0ff21f_b.jpg

wow! Beautiful!

So it seems after 5 pages that the argument has come down to cost vs performance? Something I haven't seen mentioned is the shipping cost from Sweden to the dealer. I'm guessing much of the cost of a GB is in there somewhere.
As to performance; right tool for the right job.

This was exactly my thought process. I was just about to spend $100 of a folder, something I already have enough of, and realized that spending it on an axe would be a better use of my money. And since I was buying online, I went with a brand that had a great reputation for quality.

Couldn't be happier with it.

This was exactly my thought process. I was just about to spend $100 of a folder, something I already have enough of, and realized that spending it on an axe would be a better use of my money. And since I was buying online, I went with a brand that had a great reputation for quality.

Couldn't be happier with it.
It's hard to say that they're the best out there, let alone bang for your buck. But they have one of the best all around and very few badmouth them aside from their cost. I'd love to get my mitts on a autine or a neeman but there usually seems to be a wait and run $300-500.

I honestly think that the high availability of quality old heads have really distorted our perspective of the worth of a high-standard production axe. Back in the day a reasonable quality head ALONE cost roughly $60 in today's value, and there wasn't a real edge on it to speak of. Today's prices are actually right in line with historical standards, if not actually a little cheaper.
I'm sure there is a bit of the added cost there. I'm sure there's a importer, distributor, and a finally the seller. But yeah, you hear about it all the time somebody finding really good ax heads just rusting away in a shed. The owners don't know the value of it so they'll let it go for nothing (well the ones that don't show up on ebay that is)

It's hard to say that they're the best out there, let alone bang for your buck. But they have one of the best all around and very few badmouth them aside from their cost. I'd love to get my mitts on a autine or a neeman but there usually seems to be a wait and run $300-500.

I'm sure there is a bit of the added cost there. I'm sure there's a importer, distributor, and a finally the seller. But yeah, you hear about it all the time somebody finding really good ax heads just rusting away in a shed. The owners don't know the value of it so they'll let it go for nothing (well the ones that don't show up on ebay that is)

The exchange rate is a factor also. There was a reason GB's back in the day were cheaper. It wasn't all about quality, they had a premium and affordable line also. The USA had gold to back up the dollar, but that is a subject best left to other forums.

I really want a GB large splitting axe. Why, because they're art and I do. I have a beautiful cool smaller wetterlings and a barn full of misfits I've collected over the years but my very favorite splitting axe is a double bit Kelly Works that was in the metal bin at the recycle center. All kinds of nasty and rusted, I chucked it up in the back of the truck. Hours of beer fueled barn therapy restoration and she's my go-to splitting axe. I've Fiskers that does a killer job on the cheap too but there's nothing like bringing one out of rusty retirement.

I wish Collins, Kelly's (like the bad ass one above), and Councils came up more in these kind of threads.

I honestly can't answer why a good sized population likes to argue over swedish boys axes.

I wish Collins, Kelly's (like the bad ass one above), and Councils came up more in these kind of threads.

I honestly can't answer why a good sized population likes to argue over swedish boys axes.
I'm genuinely curious as to why this matters. I find it odd that some people (not necessarily you, or only you, B34NS) wish that certain brands of knives, axes, tools, etc., were not as popular as they are. Does the desirability of one brand take away from the quality and desirability of another?

I understand the argument that less popular brands can die on the vine, making popularity a supply and demand concern, but that doesn't seem to get at the core of why other people liking what we like should matter.

It sort of reminds me of Amazon reviews where a negative review of an otherwise well-liked product often results in verbal attacks on such reviewers. It's as if the well-liked product suddenly turns to crap because of a few negative reviews. Anyway, I think it's very weird how much we personally identify with the things we own, and if those items are not at the top of someone else's list, we take it personally. I do this myself at times despite knowing better.

Also, your "ore" argument is invalid. A vintage axe is already a vintage axe. Iron ore is not an axe. All you need is general axe care knowledge.. Pretty simple stuff.

All you need to make iron ore an axe is some general metallurgical and smithing knowledge. That knowledge is at least a few moments older than the axe care knowledge, making it theoretically simpler.

An axe head is not an axe either. Feel free to make this argument invalid by posting a video felling a tree with a haft-less vintage head. I can't wait to see it. Alternatively, post up you comparing a fresh yard sale find, without any time spend by you sharpening, cleaning or otherwise repairing any parts to your friends Gransfors.

:rolleyes:

My response to your entire line of reasoning is as follows:

[video=youtube;0la5DBtOVNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI[/video]

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Welcome to America.

I'm genuinely curious as to why this matters. I find it odd that some people (not necessarily you, or only you, B34NS) wish that certain brands of knives, axes, tools, etc., were not as popular as they are. Does the desirability of one brand take away from the quality and desirability of another?

I understand the argument that less popular brands can die on the vine, making popularity a supply and demand concern, but that doesn't seem to get at the core of why other people liking what we like should matter.

It sort of reminds me of Amazon reviews where a negative review of an otherwise well-liked product often results in verbal attacks on such reviewers. It's as if the well-liked product suddenly turns to crap because of a few negative reviews. Anyway, I think it's very weird how much we personally identify with the things we own, and if those items are not at the top of someone else's list, we take it personally. I do this myself at times despite knowing better.

I think it's a great question. I feel it's a whisper from our past, a legacy behavior from the people we came from who were not just tool users, but inventors and sharers of knowledge. Tools without question offered us a way to adapt our environments to suit our needs, thus adorning our tools to an almost human-like reverence. I feel that has some role to play in how we share information to one another about the tools that have an affect on our daily lives. Especially when a new item comes in, it generally replaces the tools more traditionally used. I feel some who have an interest in traditional tools also feel a need to preserve that information, as it's easy to lose motivations for tools used in traditional times, and along with it, technique. I've rehung axes with my okie grandpa. It's an art all unto it's own and claim no expert knowledge in it, I thought it was a really fun process to learn and had a great teacher. Especially growing up poor it was a way to remain self reliant and competitive to the modern cultural standards. Our stuff mighta been old and ugly, but they got the job done. I 100% get what OP is talking about. I do feel though the danger of accepting these newer items into a culture without question is a dangerous move, although I like the way Stabman said it earlier "One of their medium sized offerings...or something in that size range from another company.". This is the way I think about the newer axes on the market today, some have some nice features not present on traditional felling axes for instance. The 36" handle isn't something you see many modern campers toting around. Having medium to compact full size axes may not be practical for the Forestry Service, but neither is a 4-8lb full size axe for most car campers.

The brand part is unfortunate, in that brands are designed to play into those tools that do have a cultural effect and exploit those emotions after the tool is used. Marketing is some dark artistry all in it's own. I personally don't care about brands or companies that aren't my own, but there are good people behind those companies that are tool nuts like us, supporting the ones out to make positive cultural change isn't a bad thing, it's just the time we live in right now. That's where I was yearning for some signal through the noise, and not just hear about two or three foreign makers, but that there are surprisingly a lot of domestic companies doing good things, on the cheap and making them easily serviceable by design. I feel these are more practical starter axes as you learn about the tool as you use it and maintain it. Is an Achulean hand axe still an axe if OP is right?

Today's heresy is tomorrow's dogma?

I think it's a great question. I feel it's a whisper from our past, a legacy behavior from the people we came from who were not just tool users, but inventors and sharers of knowledge. Tools without question offered us a way to adapt our environments to suit our needs, thus adorning our tools to an almost human-like reverence. I feel that has some role to play in how we share information to one another about the tools that have an affect on our daily lives. Especially when a new item comes in, it generally replaces the tools more traditionally used. I feel some who have an interest in traditional tools also feel a need to preserve that information, as it's easy to lose motivations for tools used in traditional times, and along with it, technique. I've rehung axes with my okie grandpa. It's an art all unto it's own and claim no expert knowledge in it, I thought it was a really fun process to learn and had a great teacher. Especially growing up poor it was a way to remain self reliant and competitive to the modern cultural standards. Our stuff mighta been old and ugly, but they got the job done. I 100% get what OP is talking about. I do feel though the danger of accepting these newer items into a culture without question is a dangerous move, although I like the way Stabman said it earlier "One of their medium sized offerings...or something in that size range from another company.". This is the way I think about the newer axes on the market today, some have some nice features not present on traditional felling axes for instance. The 36" handle isn't something you see many modern campers toting around. Having medium to compact full size axes may not be practical for the Forestry Service, but neither is a 4-8lb full size axe for most car campers.

The brand part is unfortunate, in that brands are designed to play into those tools that do have a cultural effect and exploit those emotions after the tool is used. Marketing is some dark artistry all in it's own. I personally don't care about brands or companies that aren't my own, but there are good people behind those companies that are tool nuts like us, supporting the ones out to make positive cultural change isn't a bad thing, it's just the time we live in right now. That's where I was yearning for some signal through the noise, and not just hear about two or three foreign makers, but that there are surprisingly a lot of domestic companies doing good things, on the cheap and making them easily serviceable by design. I feel these are more practical starter axes as you learn about the tool as you use it and maintain it. Is an Achulean hand axe still an axe if OP is right?

Today's heresy is tomorrow's dogma?

Nicely said, B34NS!

Here's my take on the original poster's question.

Keep in mind that the OP is a young man up here in the NW doing hardcore trail work. He's using working axes for the work they were designed for - bucking & limbing trees - clearing and making trails. From that perspective there is very little use for a Gransfors axe. Gransfors makes great bushcraft axes and good splitting axes. But they don't make any axes well-suited to work in the woods of the Pacific Northwest.

From his perspective (and please correct me if I've wrong, Olybears) a Gransfors axe is a more expensive alternative that doesn't function as well for his purposes.

In actuality not very many people really need a good work axe these days. More people are are interested in a bushcraft axe. Hence the fascination with Gransfors Bruk - who do bushcraft axes so well.

Back