Why the hate for serrations?

Ok, not everyone dislikes serrations, but seems among the purist community, they're avoided. Only reason I have heard is the edge will do what the serrations, so not needed. That's been my experience all. Plenty of times where the smooth edge was not able to bite, and the serrations were used to get the cut started on some materials. On at least a utility blade, which for me usually doubles my EDC, or camp/survival knife/general use, I like having the partial serrations and don't see any real drawbacks to them.

Is there some other reason some avoid serrations I'm not considering?

For me it's largely style combined with necessity. I don't like how partial serrations look and don't need them. A serrated back/spine would be something I would consider if I had a need.

I use my knives frequently at work, cutting cardboard, zip ties, plastic straps, etc. Lots of dry material found in retail and warehouse environments. Serrations would be great for cutting plastic straps, but the other stuff I do is more efficient with a good, plain edge.

This wording comes from the Benchmade website description of their lifetime "Lifesharp” service:
"Lifesharp service includes the following: ✔Clean ✔Oil ✔Adjust ✔Re-Sharpen *Service does not apply to any serrated portion of the blade”

The reasons I stay away from serrated blades are that I don’t need serrations and I’m not even going to try to sharpen them. It seems even Benchmade shares my attitude about sharpening serrations.

For me it's largely style combined with necessity. I don't like how partial serrations look and don't need them. A serrated back/spine would be something I would consider if I had a need.
The serrated back spine is a good design for white water or kayak/canoe folks to carry on the water.

I dislike sharpening serrations. I have many serrated kitchen knives (mostly paring size or a little larger) and use the hell out of them just about every day. I toss them when they get dull and replace.

Partial serrated blades do nothing for me. Most partially serrated knives have the serrations near the handle and that is generally the opposite location to where you would use them.

I have a couple fully serrated folders. Generally don't use them much; just special purpose knives. The small Vic SAK serrations work pretty well however if you like serrated blades.

Imo serrations are fine for some tasks, but if I need serrations I want them on the whole blade. Just a small section is sub par to me. Then most like to make serrations far to deep, shallow tight serrations are far more effective, spyderco seems to realise this but I've never tried one of their blades. I guess what I'm trying to say is most serrations on folders suck and partials suck even more.

They consume all or a major part of the blade
They are not that useful cutting some items, though fantastic on others
Can be hard or take skill to sharpen
I tend to shy away from them, but the partially serrated Sebenza does have some appeal to me.

I use my knives frequently at work, cutting cardboard, zip ties, plastic straps, etc. Lots of dry material found in retail and warehouse environments. Serrations would be great for cutting plastic straps, but the other stuff I do is more efficient with a good, plain edge.

Hence why you have a blade with both? Partial Serration blades seem to be a good balance in cases like yours.

I have a fully serrated blade on my Leatherman Surge. So far, I've never used it. I either use the plain-edge blade or I use my dedicated knife, also a plain-edge blade. For my usage, serrations aren't worth the added hassle and difficulty with re-sharpening. That said, I do understand they have their uses, hence I still carry one, i.e. the one on my Leatherman.

Why the hate for serrations?
I dont hate them but I avoid them, as I dont need them.

Not to turn this into a PracTac clusterF but Ive heard it said from those who study how to use a knife for SD, that a SE will 'grab,' bunch and push clothes instead of cutting through it (M. Janich).
That actually makes a lot of sense.
Caveat; Im not an operator and I dont rely on a knife for SD.

The serrated back spine is a good design for white water or kayak/canoe folks to carry on the water.
Do you go white water kayaking or just plain kayaking yourself? Merely out of interest.
Ive been kayaking for many years and always carry a PE knife on the water but I can certainly see how a SE could come in handy in line.
Just because I prefer PE (also on the water) doesnt mean SE wont come in handy. Ive got not doubt that it will if in a snag (no pun intended).

I could see carrying a partialy serrated knife for work depending on the kinds of things you might routinely do. If I were in that situation, I would carry two knives; one fully serrated and the other plain. But for me, the need is pretty infrequent and I prefer sharp plain edged knives.

I have 2 fully serrated blades- both H1 Spydercos, Plain Edge is what I need/find most useful 99% of the time, if the blade isn't cutting/biting it's because it needs to be sharpened, a properly sharp plain edge will bite just fine, if you want a little more bite finish with a lower grit on your final edge. Fully serrated is great if you plan on cutting primarily rope/fibrous material. I have them for swimming/rafting/water sports in case of rope or kelp wrapping around my feet leg primarily.

Serrations are useful in certain applications, but the sad reality is that most "Serrations" are poorly done and often make up a portion of a combo edge blade on a cheap knife. A well maintained plain edge in a decent steel will cut as well or better than most serrations. That said, things like wet fiber materials are better suited to serrations.

There are only a few makers that do serrations really well, Spyderco in particular. The scalloped shape of the Spyderedge serrations is highly effective and also durable, many other brands are fragile and excessively pointy (and prone to chipping), the H1 steel also works very well with this grind.

.... Do you go white water kayaking or just plain kayaking yourself? Merely out of interest.
Ive been kayaking for many years and always carry a PE knife on the water but I can certainly see how a SE could come in handy in line.
Just because I prefer PE (also on the water) doesn't mean SE wont come in handy. Ive got not doubt that it will if in a snag (no pun intended).
I kayak in relatively calm rivers, basically infrequent white water areas. I carry my regular SAK generally, but will have my little Gerber River Rat on my vest. The use is infrequent, so I don't have a lot of money tied up in the knife and it's always there when I have the vest on.

Serrated utility knives seem to work well by the way. Gets dull, install a new blade. Pretty much the only replacement blades I buy anymore.

I kayak in relatively calm rivers, basically infrequent white water areas. I carry my regular SAK generally, but will have my little Gerber River Rat on my vest. The use is infrequent, so I don't have a lot of money tied up in the knife and it's always there when I have the vest on.
Got ya.
I did look at a Gerber for kayaking once. I believe it was called the Clip-Loc Rivermaster and IIRC it had one SE and one PE. Didnt buy it though. This was years ago.
I carry a MISSION MPU in titanium in the chest pocket of the vest. Just so dang nice, that I can simply hose down the vest and not bother with the knife at all. It gets rinsed when I wash the salt water off the vest and thats that.

Anyone who has used a dive knife underwater to cut wet rope will appreciate serrations. But serrated blades are not as easy to sharpen.

But also seem to require sharpening less often, at least in my experience. I can see sharpening the Serrations being a legit reason for not bothering with them.

I don't see the "hate" you're referencing on your title, i just see what you said in your post...that people avoid or dislike them.

They are great for people who don't sharpen, in my opinion...but I like to sharpen and I find a plain edge does anything a serrated edge does, even in the kitchen. Tomatoes? Bread? Plain edge for me.

Back