Why the Love for Vic Farmer?

I see tons of posts from those that either have a Victorinox Farmer or are waiting for a Farmer?

Why all the love for this SAK?

It's the Swiss version of the Boy Scout knife with a saw...what's not to love! :D

Farmers2_zpsc3588adf.jpg

Honestly, it's a great companion in the woods! High quality, feels good in the hand, extremely long lived and tough, requiring very little maintenance. It's one of the classic designs in the knife world IMO.

Buy one and you will understand...SOLID AS A ROCK! :thumbup:

Hi this,

I kinda agree with you in a way. I have a brand new Vic Farmer (never used) and while it's a beautiful (Alox) knife, I think if I were only going to own ONE SAK (and still wanted a SAW) I'd go with a THREE LAYER model such as the "CAMPER" or the "HIKER". However.....however.....there is something to be said for a (easier to pocket carry) TWO layer SAK like the "FARMER" (especially if you like/need) the Saw. My (EDC) Swiss Army Knife is a "TINKER". I've carried a "TINKER" for about thirty five years. I wish I could "have my Cake and eat it to" and have a "Tinker" size two layer knife that also includes a Saw. Also, I MUCH rather have TWO blades (a large and small) on my SAK. Truthfully, I find myself using the "little" blade most of the time. What I also like about the "Tinker" (as opposed to the FARMER) is the "Tinker" has both a "Toothpick" and "Tweezers". I keep the "FARMER" as a backup with my Woods/Hunting gear. By the way, the SAK "Saw" works awesome!

HARDBALL

Last edited:
Hi this,

I kinda agree with you in a way. I have a brand new Vic Farmer (never used) and while it's a beautiful (Alox) knife, I think if I were only going to own ONE SAK (and still wanted a SAW) I'd go with a THREE LAYER model such as the "CAMPER" or the "HIKER". However.....however.....there is something to be said for a (easier to pocket carry) TWO layer SAK like the "FARMER" (especially if you like/need) the Saw. My (EDC) Swiss Army Knife is a "TINKER". I've carried a "TINKER" for about thirty five years. I wish I could "have my Cake and eat it to" and have a "Tinker" size two layer knife that also includes a Saw. Also, I MUCH rather have TWO blades (a large and small) on my SAK. Truthfully, I find myself using the "little" blade most of the time. What I also like about the "Tinker" (as opposed to the FARMER) is the "Tinker" has both a "Toothpick" and "Tweezers". I keep the "FARMER" as a backup with my Woods/Hunting gear. By the way, the SAK "Saw" works awesome!

HARDBALL

Look at the Victorinox Lumberjack

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Lumberjack

Probably a few reasons.
Alox handles are solid and have good grip,
The spear blade is a bit larger than the regular SAKs.
The saw works great.
Sharp awl on the end not the middle.
A lot of usefulness in a small package, well built and not too big either. Get one and you will understand.

Just got my first one the other day. Great little knife. The saw is fairly efficient, but not sure it will get used much. Everything else is great and will get used regularly. I had to get it for the orange Alox.

0410141142.jpg

Probably a few reasons.
The saw works great.
A lot of usefulness in a small package, well built and not too big either. Get one and you will understand.

Exactly.:thumbup:

Hawk45...... Great picture and great combo!

Probably a few reasons.
The saw works great.

Exactly. And it is also widely available and affordable.

I always carry one while camping and canoeing.

The Farmer is a great SAK. While the difference in the blade size between alox and cellidor models is minuscule, the in-line awl is the best I've seen on any multitool. While by no means a replacement for a dedicated saw, the SAK wood saw works very well on smaller diameter timber. Both the saw and awl throw a shower of sparks off of a ferro rod. 93mm alox models feel very robust in comparison to their 91mm cellidor cousins. It's just a great, all around SAK.

That said, my hiking SAK is generally a Huntsman with the nylon scales. I like the second blade and the availability of scissors without having to carry an extra bit of kit in my pocket or pack. The nylon scales are grippy. Should I need them, I have the aforementioned toothpick and tweezers. And, since the scales are metal, it can get very hot or cold, depending on the weather. The cellidor and nylon scaled SAKs mitigate this a fair bit better. Despite this, I still own two Farmers, and a bunch of other Alox. It's a very well built pocket knife, adding a good saw and Swiss quality to a 100+ year old design.

It's a great companion while out in the woods, that is why it stays in my pack. For regular edc, i like the old soldier better, it's thinner and it doesn't have a split ring.
The blades on those saks are more robust than what the red plastic scaled models have, the awl is really that good, and a couple of screwdrivers with can/bottle openers are always welcomed.
Get one, and see for yourself :thumbup:

The Farmer is a great functional design. I prefer the one handed trekker (non-serrated) if I am in the woods. I use the saw blade when I am out taking pictures of wild flowers where there is something small and woody in the way. But I still have a preference for the Adventurer model overall without the saw.

I carry and use an Alox Farmer everyday, and my only regret is that I didn't buy (at least) two more when the apocalypse green was available from Swissbianco.

I carry and use an Alox Farmer everyday, and my only regret is that I didn't buy (at least) two more when the apocalypse green was available from Swissbianco.

There was just one on the bay offered by Swiss Bianco Canada...the bidding was going quite high. I wish I had gotten the matching Pioneer. I took a new Apoc pic just today.

APOCFARMERash_zps3a0175dd.jpg

Why I didn't get the Pioneer, I will never know....

There was just one on the bay offered by Swiss Bianco Canada...the bidding was going quite high. I wish I had gotten the matching Pioneer. I took a new Apoc pic just today.

APOCFARMERash_zps3a0175dd.jpg

Why I didn't get the Pioneer, I will never know....

It sold for nearly 300.00 bucks!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Farmer is my favorite. It seems that whenever I don't actually carry it I need the saw for something. I just wish the Rancher or Electrician came with a saw cause I do like have a small blade.

The Farmer is my favorite. It seems that whenever I don't actually carry it I need the saw for something. I just wish the Rancher or Electrician came with a saw cause I do like have a small blade.

Then the Electrician Plus and the Pioneer Harvester are probably what you're looking for. I don't know if they're still made though. They're hard to find over here.

Back