Wicked Edge Sharpener VS Apex

Re: Wicked Edge vs Apex
http://www.wickededgeusa.com/

I could not find much info one the Wicked Edge sharpener so I purchased one...it just made too much sense to me. I spent most of the day with this sharpener and here is my initial review. Of course my opinion is worth what it costs.

First, let me say that I have the required standard issue knife-nut equipment...I own a deluxe Apex and the Sharpmaker (for touch-ups). I have had good results with the Apex and Ben Dale is really a great guy. But I must say the Wicked Edge system is sound and based on a much better concept than the Apex. Sharpening both sides of a stationary blade at the same time blows the Apex away. I don't care who you are, sharpening an expensive knife on an Apex is a very stressful experience.

When you take the Wicked Edge out of the box, you see that this is a precision made tool, excellent materials with very close tolerances. 10 minutes to set it up, max. The blade is locked into a fixed position with the Wicked Edge vice, nothing moves, no switching sides or moving the blade for any reason. WE also includes an Alignment Tool that allows you to place all of your knives in the exact same location each time you sharpen them. You just need to create a list of your knives and record the benchmark where you initially sharpened each blade. Simultaneously sharpening both sides of a blade removes equal amounts of steel keeping both bevels even and the edge centered. This removes only the minimum amount of steel needed to get a sharp edge. After using the Apex for so long, getting the feel of the sharpening motions with the WE was easy. Two handed sharpening is much easier than you would think and I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I really like the custom made two-sided Diamond Blocks that will never need flattening like the Apex water stones. If you expect good results with the Apex, you have the chore of flattening the stones between every knife (this is true of any soft sharpening stones). WE Diamond Blocks cut dry, no slurry. After inspecting the edges I achieved with the WE under a microscope, I see good clean and consistent bevels, from point to belly to rear edge. As with the Apex you have to spend a little more grinding time on the rear edge of the blade to get an even edge bevel. WE is currently out of stock on their Extra & Ultra Fine blocks but these stones will complete the system for me when they arrive.

The bottom line is the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro Apex (Kit 3) both cost about $200. Having purchased and used both systems, all in all I feel Wicked Edge has the best sharpening system available and with the finer polishing stones, the ultimate sharpener…foolproof, fast and consistent results.

Anyone want to buy my Apex?

- wd

First blade I did on the WE raised a nice even burr. The burr feels a little smoother from the Apex, I assume because your are sharpening from both sides with the WE sharpener. I like a double bevel edge. When I raise a burr from tip to end I increase 3-5 degrees with the fine stone and lightly remove the burr. I finished these first knives off on the extra fine Sharpmaker stones because WE is out of stock on their Ultra Fine stones.

The WS sharpener relies on clamping the spine of the blade. To me this seems like a trouble spot. Some spines are parallel to each side and others taper. Also repeatability. You would have to clamp in the exact same place each time if the minimum metal removal was required.

I used a Lansky type clamp sharpener for years and switched to Ben Dale ten years ago and have never looked back.

The WS looks like a very well made product that I am sure will find a strong following in time.

Good review. I'll be interested to see what other users have to say. Sounds like it works great for you, though.

I cannot imagine how you would get any kind of repeatability out of a clamp system like that and flat ground blades, unless you could get the clamp at the same angle of the grind.

Looks to be pretty well made from the photos, but the concept sure seems a little...kitschy.

Nosmo,

Wicked Edge has instructions specifically for that, the design of the vice is such that you sharpen the blade in exactly the same place every time.

PS - I sold my Apex today on bladeforums.

Guys,

I get started with a blade on the Wicked Edge just like I do with the Apex...magic marker on the bevel and match the angle with the stone. But think about the advantage of getting the blade exactly in the same place every time. I have sharpened too many blades on the Apex that do not have enough flat area to hold the knife steady on the base. Repeatability is hit and miss especially as you move a longer blade down the base and even worse when you reposition the blade to sharpen a curved tip, as prescribed by the Apex instructions. If you can sharpen both sides of a 6"-8" blade with a curved tip on the Apex with absolutely zero movement, then hello Superman.

Look guys, I am not trying to sell you anything. I'm an ordinary knife lover like you and I've gotten great results with my Apex. If the Apex was better I would keep it and not waste my time talking about the WE, I've only posted comments on bladeforums a few times. What I see is far more repeatability and precision with the Wicked Edge and I am glad I found it.

-wd

New member and here for exactly this thread along with the possibilty of the feedback of a EZE Sharp system compared to the Edge Pro (Apex) and Wicked Edge.

Received a Sharpmaker for XMas and have had not the best results as I am sure its the driver :D

Looking for the most raved system to take guess work out as I am a novice sharpner.
Looking to put a edge on pocket, hunting and kitchen type knives for myself, family and friends.

Keep the posts coming!

I've used EdgePro for years as my main sharpening tool. Love it. I also use Sharpmaker, DMT Aligner, and RazorEdge from time to time for various tasks. They all work well; the EdgePro of course being the most versitile of them. This Wicked Edge tool seems to have a lot going for it though. I watched the videos several times and there is more to this device than meets the eye...

I've gone through a few of the EdgePro 120 grit stones. They cut quickly but wear out quickly too. I like the idea of diamond stones. I can alwas put some polishing tape on the stones to get that sort of edge. There are some knives that I find difficult to sharpen on the EdgePro's platform. I'd like to see it with an electromagnetic base to hold the blades more firmly than I can. The clamp on the Wicked Edge seems to solve that problem. The set-up measuring device of the WE also seems like it's very handy for getting repeatable uniform positioning. I think I'm going to have to order one of these and try it out...

Stitchawl

How does it hold flat ground blades in the same place every time?

Tripton, I called the manuafacturer this afternoon and posed this same question to them and they had a very good explanation. I cannot explain it as
well as they can. But it has to do with the way the clamp is designed and with the way you adjust the clamp.

I am probably going to order one, just to check it out. I presently have an EdgePro Pro model that is an amazing sharpener, but I'm always looking for something different to try.

Give them a call at their toll free number. They are very friendly and helpful and they will be demonstrating the product at the Atlanta Blade Show.

Hope this helps.

Ronin

Tripton, I called the manuafacturer this afternoon and posed this same question to them and they had a very good explanation. I cannot explain it as
well as they can. But it has to do with the way the clamp is designed and with the way you adjust the clamp.

I am probably going to order one, just to check it out. I presently have an EdgePro Pro model that is an amazing sharpener, but I'm always looking for something different to try.

Give them a call at their toll free number. They are very friendly and helpful and they will be demonstrating the product at the Atlanta Blade Show.

Hope this helps.

Ronin

I am certainly interested. I was going to get an apex, but if this this works as well...then I dont know...

So far I am still leaning towards the edgepro.

I am certainly interested. I was going to get an apex, but if this this works as well...then I dont know...

So far I am still leaning towards the edgepro.

Did you see all of their demo video? It looks like quite a nice set-up! Unfortunately...

Stitchawl

I'll stick with the APEX. :p

More stone choices, mylar tapes up to 7000 grit, and the ability to use pastes and p0owdered abrasives down to .1 micron.

Last edited:
It looks simple enough, but how would it work on larger blades without having to re clamp the knife? I don't have an Apex, but I still plan on getting that. I believe I may see if I can find one of these to try as well, but it seems like the Apex would be better due to more grits and such.

I have the EdgePro Apex ( 4yrs) , Sharpmaker (6yrs now) Lansky ( 15+yrs ). While the Edgepro is touted the best I also feel nervous when I want to sharpen My higher end knives. And setup and Maint for thte EdgePro is more than 10 min. The Lansky's is what I have used for many re-profiling. The Sharpmaker is a daily user, and very functional. The WE looks great to me, none of my knives are over 10" blade length seems like the diamond hone is the way to go. Woodman318 Thanks for the info, I have looked at them and thought they were more of a gimmick, Not so much anymore, I sure would like to see one in action at gun/knife show. They certainly look like they can do the job. Thanks again.
Mike

Last edited:
You are welcome Texbaz, like you I'm always looking for something better. Amen to that nervous feeling working the Apex on an expensive knife.

FYI - Devin Kennemore @ WE says they will have their 800 and 1000 grit stones in stock soon. That makes 8 different grit stones available. Also he says they are working with diamond pastes down to 0.5 micron, a variety of non-diamond polishes, tapes and strops. I will update this thread after I use these. I'm sure they will give me the kind of smooth, polished, finished edge I'm after for most of my knives. But I do prefer a toothier edge on my skinning knives.

Anyone with any questions should call or email Devin at Wicked Edge, he has answered all of my questions in great detail. Ben Dale at Edge Pro and I have also had long conversations about the idea of a vice. There is no right or wrong with any sharpening system, we all experiment and find what works best for us...then we share what we learn. That's why I love reading bladeforums!

- woodman

I like my EdgePro, but like to think I am still open to new ideas and ways of doing things. When working the EP, it is best to work over its blade table , so in effect you are working only on a 2 ,1/2" area. This keeps the angle bang on and its easy to slide the blade as one works towards the tip.

And its the tip area that one has to be careful with. Unless you pivot the blade so its tip is right over the blade table, the angles will go off from your setting.

With the WES, the actual angle will vary conciderably if one grips the blade in its center and then attemps to sharpen the whole blade length without moving and re clamping. You will finish up with the tip at a lesser angle, and this might be a good or bad, depending on the blade use.

But on anything longer than a paring knife,with the WES you will have to move and re clamp to keep the angle consistant from tip to choil.

Back