Wild hog medicine WIP

Here's the finished knife. Looks alot like gundy's bowie. This one has a 9" blade. The sheath is from my Cold Steel Trailmaster.
Scott

Boarhuntingknife001.jpg

Thats awesome. Love the brass/steel combo, and I really dig that dk brown micarta.

Nice work Scott.

I made this as a dual purpose knife. I want to use it in the timber so I did some testing back at the campsite where my shop is and in the shop. When I did the final cutting edge I went alittle too thin. At first it didn't quite pass my elk rack test. I reworked the edge and it passed chopping bone about 12 times. Next I batoned through a pile of poplar wood. Not the hardest of woods but it was well seasoned. Next I chopped several 2X4 treated lumber pieces I had laying in the shop and also cross grain batoned in the lumber. Edge stability was excellent. Below are pics of the poplar I batoned. All in all the CPM S35 steel is pretty tough for a stainless steel. I do want to test it on some maple and oak.
Scott

001.jpg

002.jpg

Scott how does that CPM S35 compare in toughness to your A2? I know a lot of the toughness comes from the heat treat which yours is spot on!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I need to beat on it some more. :D seriously, it's tough to beat A2 for toughness. I just don't have enough experience in the field with the S35 to make a judgement yet. For smaller size knives it's awesome.
Scott

Looks tough to me. :thumbup::thumbup:

I love the Tusker handle with a guard. Its very comfortable and unobtrusive. A2 is very hard to beat IMO. Its pretty low maintnance. I can see the need for a totally stainless blade hough, but it needs to be tough. Looks like this one will do just fine. Im curious to see how it stacks up to the 154 in the long run....

So far the S35 VN steel is proving to be pretty tough. I hacked down a dead tree that was pretty hard. It was about 8" in diameter. Some type of hardwood, either oak, maple or cherry. Edge, just as clean as when I started. I also chopped about 4 or 5 large pine limbs that had fallen over the winter. The pinewas softer but the blade flew right through the limbs. Some were 4 or 5 inch diameter. Took about 3 hits to cut through.
Scott

I still have knives that are used often with Razorback on them :)

And a couple Razorback hats

Last edited:
Scott,

This definitely looks a very sturdy and well made knife. What would the cost be for one similar to that made of A2 and one made of S35VN?

Scott,

This definitely looks a very sturdy and well made knife. What would the cost be for one similar to that made of A2 and one made of S35VN?

If you go to my website you can check out the specs and pricing there. One like this in S35 would be close to $500.00. The steel is expensive.

ADRENJUNKY, how's it going bro?
Scott

Back