Wilderness Survival Kukri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is my spin-off of the Dave Beck WSK made popular by the movie The Hunted.

I really liked the idea of the knife, and hope to add a few of my own humble "upgrades".

Notably:
  • creating more of a "chopping" profile
  • short sawback, moved away from the tip (to allow for better skinning/draw-knife cutting)
  • "raised" false edge - to clear sawback
  • "bell" at the end of the contoured handle for comfort and control
  • front and rear lanyard tubes
  • finger hole in the blade for safety/control while draw-knife cutting
  • finger ring instead of drop-guard for security/control
But most importantly, the blade has a distal taper and the tang has been drilled to created a well balanced knife and not just another sharpened prybar. ;)

attachment.php

Comes with a kydex sheath set up for the TekLok carry system (optional).

SOLD shipped ConUS

Attachments

• WSK010.jpg
    WSK010.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,785
Thanks, Broos. :thumbup:

Here's another pic - of the other side.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WSK011.jpg
    WSK011.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,663
I got to meet Daniel at the Blade show this week-end and was very impressed with his designs and workmanship. All of his knives are a real bargin.

G L Drew said:
I got to meet Daniel at the Blade show this week-end and was very impressed with his designs and workmanship. All of his knives are a real bargin.

AND he's a damn nice guy.

-j

On topic: I have no idea what to do with something like that. I use my knives for opening mail and food prep... and this thing looks like it would ideal for neither. But it looks neat!!!!!!!

Very cool Dan! :thumbup: I know you put a great deal of time and thought into the design. Looks very well balanced, and I know it's _sharp_. I really wish I wasn't so broke right now, but not working will do that to you. :confused:

Neat new avatar BTW. Just curious, what are the specs on that guy?

Regards,

Norm

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :thumbup:

Norm,

The blade is 8.5" and the handle 5.5", 14" overall, 1/4" thick at the finger-ring, 2.25" wide at the belly. The drawknife is hollow-ground, the main blade flat-ground. All with convex micro-bevel. Sawtooth can easily be resharpened by hand with a triangle file. False edge is not sharpened.

ah, that is a sweetie - on my short list of must haves. just need to sell some toys (or get a job :>)...

super nice work !!!

bladite

Wow , that is neat looking.
The addition of the finger hole is an excellent idea.

I'm curious , how much does she wiegh ?

Once more , love that knife. :thumbup:

oops...I totally forgot the write-up regarding the weight.

After profiling, the blade itself (with all holes drilled) weighs in at 1 lb. 4 oz.

After grinding and tapering, it drops to 1 lb. 1 oz. The handles add 2-3 oz. (cocobolo = 2 oz., G-10 = 3 oz.)

This one came in around 19 ounces, which is 1.35 ounces per inch. The ideal proportion for a kukri that you'd want to carry would be 1.2 to 1.4 oz/in. A beefy chopper would be 1.5-2.0 oz/in.

The TB Tracker, by comparison, is 12.5 inches and 28 ounces, making it 2.24 ounces per inch.

Despite the lighter weight and better balance (at the finger ring) this WSK chops like a kukri - as planned, and expected - and you can belt-carry it without it pulling your pants down. :p

Great looking knife. If you ever were interested in a pass around I would love to be apart of it.
RS6-BLADES

:thumbup: I actually will be having a passaround in July - and will have several "versions" included. I'll post the link here when it gets started.

Last shot at this one, and then it goes to the auction house.

SIRGALANT said:
the knife he he used in the hunted was a tom brown tracker
The original designed Beck, WSK (wilderness survival knife) was used in the movie. The production version made by TOPS is called the Tracker.

BTW, very cool knife Dan.:thumbup:
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back