Will I ever buy a knife of another brand other than SURVIVE!?

Love the 2 SK!s that I currently own, and fully expect to feel the same way about the 5.0 that is on order.

I have a few Fiddlebacks, and intend to buy more. Like SK!, the quality, craftsmanship and design are top notch. IMHO Fiddleback, while also being a hard use tool , is more "artistic" with the different handle materials and patterns. Another brand that I own that is very similar AA Forge.

SK! is absolutely the toughest knives on the market. Period. Other brands have different strengths. All three of the companies that I mentioned are small, customer service focused organizations that make a high-quality product in the USA. I am proud to own all their knives and think (although I have no way of knowing if this is true or not) that the owners would be cool with sitting down together, drinking beers and sharing their experiences with each other.

Cheers!!

I've had quite a few different knives over the past few years. Before that had the same kabar and benchmade that I had been using since 98'.

Few years ago I started picking up some nicer gear for bumming around the woods and traded into a few BHKs. That lead me to trying out a few other BHKs, then some various customs. All nice knives and did their job.

About a year ago traded into a ESEE LS and was surprised how much I liked it, so ended up picking up each model they offered with the 3 spending most of the time in my pocket.

Then I traded into a 4.1 and it had a lot of the different aspects of the past knives I had that I liked. So picked a second one up in 3v and with a scale color I preferred. Then another just for good measure since he is changing up the design a bit.

Figure ill try out the new 4.1 when they roll out, but for now I'm pretty well content with the current 4.1.

With each piece of gear I've gone through several brands and designs, some times twice. When I finally end up with some thing that suites me I realize it because I don't pay it much mind after that and stop looking at other gear. That's how I am with the 4.1 right now.

I'm not much of a collector and in fact clutter or extra gear actually starts to bug me a bit.

So short answer I think I'm set on the survive brand and nothing else currently on the market is catching my eye.

Guy's OCD attention to fit and finish makes it really hard to buy anything else.
Still, I browse the customs listings looking for something that will get my attention but I mostly pass.
When I do give in and buy something it has thinner blade stock than any of the GSO offerings.

Guy's OCD attention to fit and finish makes it really hard to buy anything else.
Still, I browse the customs listings looking for something that will get my attention but I mostly pass.
When I do give in and buy something it has thinner blade stock than any of the GSO offerings.

Yeah I hear ya. I do a lot of browsing, there are so many cool knives available. For me though I've only spent my money on GSO's since the moving sale and starter.

I will still buy other knives like Opinel because they are so inexpensive and to spare my better blades like the Survive! for when I truly need them in a crunch. Even though I probably could use them as beaters, I don't want to. I like my better blades as standbys for serious use.

I totally agree that after being spoiled by Guy's OCD attention to fit and finish it is hard to deal with other knives that don't have the same level of perfection. I purchased a custom knife (NOT AA or Fiddleback) a month or so ago from a WELL know and respected maker. The fit / finish / grind on the blade were very disappointing when compared to Survive!, Fiddleback and AA. Not all "top tier" makers have the same standards, and after getting an amazing product like Survive!, anything less is really disappointing. The disappointment is even more extreme when the inferior knife costs 50% more than the comparable knife from Guy.

I totally agree that after being spoiled by Guy's OCD attention to fit and finish it is hard to deal with other knives that don't have the same level of perfection. I purchased a custom knife (NOT AA or Fiddleback) a month or so ago from a WELL know and respected maker. The fit / finish / grind on the blade were very disappointing when compared to Survive!, Fiddleback and AA. Not all "top tier" makers have the same standards, and after getting an amazing product like Survive!, anything less is really disappointing. The disappointment is even more extreme when the inferior knife costs 50% more than the comparable knife from Guy.

I also have a AA forge knife and really really like it. its a nessmuk style. One thing that will keep me buying other knives is variety of design. I think survive makes the best knives for their purpose and at a great value to boot, but as in the "what folder do you carry" thread, there are other styles as well. I've bought 5 knives in the past 2 months or so and 3 are survive!...haha

I'm sorry to hear about the disappointing experience and product. Guy has insanely high standards and that is something that makes me feel really good and secure about buying his stuff.

I just preordered a 2.7 today and it made me think of a few other things. If I were looking at a GSO and another knife, and materials and design and price were all similar, I'd still be leaning towards SURVIVE! just because Guy is working really hard to get and satisfy customers. No sales tax on orders? I'm not sure if that is common or not. Free shipping?! Very nice. Free upgrades on starter models?! Really?! Clearly, I'm already a fan and I would have paid normal price for a starter just to guarantee I'd have a GSO, but Guy had to go above and beyond. Free stuff sent with starter knives?!! A sticker included with normal models?! Huge discounts to clear out old stock?!! Sometimes I worry that he is making enough to buy groceries with all the perks he gives customers!

For most of us here, we are supporters of Guy, but we know there are many who feel they were wronged in the past because of wait times or old preorder misunderstandings. Regardless of the audience, he is one of the few business people in or out of the knife world that is obviously proactive in trying to please customers. That is the end of my fanboy raving.................... for now...

Redwood, I didn't get to quote your last post, but you're right. The knife industry as a whole has so much variety to offer. There are definitely companies that have things to offer that are not in the realm of what Guy does as far as designs and intended use and price range. Good stuff. The spice of life, people!

...but we know there are many who feel they were wronged in the past because of wait times or old preorder misunderstandings...

I feel bad for people who get upset about this stuff. Slow delivery happens all the time in the knife industry. Guy / Survive! is a small company hand crafting top-tier products and offering them at VERY economical prices. You want next day service, buy a Benchmade at REI. For handmade products you almost always have to wait awhile. To me, and most others, the wait is well worth it.

Rant over. Now, PLEASE SHIP MY GSO5! :)

I feel bad for people who get upset about this stuff. Slow delivery happens all the time in the knife industry. Guy / Survive! is a small company hand crafting top-tier products and offering them at VERY economical prices. You want next day service, buy a Benchmade at REI. For handmade products you almost always have to wait awhile. To me, and most others, the wait is well worth it.

100% agree

Yes! I think waiting becomes 10,000% easier when you understand the company. If you are used to ordering a Schrade or TOPS knife from a website that has shelves of them in stock and ready to ship, you'll be confused with SURVIVE! Those of us with understanding and patience will reap the rewards!

I'm in even more agreement with you about wanting my 5 :D

We've been using the term "craft knife manufacturer" lately. We are like the craft breweries in that we are trying to make a quality product at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the cost of that is a wait time.

We've been using the term "craft knife manufacturer" lately. We are like the craft breweries in that we are trying to make a quality product at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the cost of that is a wait time.

Perfect analogy and great term. I love microbreweries :thumbup:

Quality product at reasonable price? Mission accomplished.

You and Guy are doing a GREAT job. Thank you and keep up the good work. The VAST majority of your customers understand what you are doing and support you 100%.

As the old saying goes, "Good, Cheap, or Fast. Pick two."

This is awesome. I've managed to go my entire life without having heard that before. I'll have to remember that for some occasion where I can make myself sound really clever.

Rockclimb, I like to think that those who "get it" and understand how Guy operates outnumber the haters and whiners on Facebook and elsewhere. :thumbup:

This is awesome. I've managed to go my entire life without having heard that before. I'll have to remember that for some occasion where I can make myself sound really clever.

Rockclimb, I like to think that those who "get it" and understand how Guy operates outnumber the haters and whiners on Facebook and elsewhere. :thumbup:

another good one is " light, strong, cheap" But i couldn't agree more with either adage or the notion that Survive is a "craft" knife maker. There are a ton of upstart craft brewers in this area in the last 16 months and I enjoy supporting them as well. Doesn't mean i will like every beer they make, or the frequency with which they make my favorites. But i like who they are, what they stand for, and how they are doing it and i will continue to support them in their endeavors.

Back