-Winner Announced-CONTEST: Thanks, so we're giving.

Murphnuge

With Thanksgiving coming up, we've been thinking of what we're thankful for. Obviously, family is mandatory(whether they deserve it or not). Beer is pretty high on the list. Fans and friends, which leads me to this little giveaway. We really appreciate all the support you've given us on our little knifemaking journey, so we're giving back. We're looking for your best or worst tales of Thanksgiving. If you've got a funny story, that's even better! The prize will be a Magua. We'll decide between the two of us who had the best tale. So, make us laugh, make us cry, doesn't matter just keep it PG-13 (Todd's Mom peruses this subforums, seriously).

The Magua is already ready minus handles. The sheath needs dyed and stitched. The winner will have the choice of sheath color and handle material that we have on hand.

We'll close this on the 16th of November at midnight. That way we can get the blade out in time for you to carve the turkey, use it at your place setting or fend off shitty relatives from the sweet potatoes.

Legal crap: If you're under 18 we'll need parental consent before we ship the blade. Open to anyone. Outside of CONUS may require extra shipping fees.

Last edited:
TMHunt

O.k. I suppose this means Murph reserved a spot for me, (Todd) so I guess I gotta say something. Just to add a couple of details, the winner will be able to pick most likely from curly maple, phenolic, or a couple of different colors of G10 that are on hand, there will be no special ordering material. (My kindness only goes so far :rolleyes:) sheath color, same deal, brown or black. We want to make sure we got time to finish it and get it to the winner before turkey day.

As far as Thanksgiving, I dont know if I have any humorous stories. The best ones I think was when we was kids, and my Grandma Hunt was still alive. Me and all of my cousins had to sit at a fold out card table in the corner of the kitchen because there wasn't room for everyone at the "adult" table. However, we all wanted to sit at the big table because we thought that was the place to be. Funny thing was, when we got older and finally graduated to the adult table, we quickly realized we had more fun at the old fold out card table. Lol. That was the place to be the whole time. Hell, we wasn't expected to act like adults in that little corner I guess. Maybe that's what made it so fun.

Now days, I'm sure my Thanksgiving isn't much different than everybody else's. To much is packed into one day. Now that im grown and have a family of my own, we try hard to visit both sides of the family. The way we've done it for the last several years has been going to my mother-in-law in the late morning. We visit with her, my sister-in-law and her husband, there kids and my kids get way to rowdy in the 900 square foot house, giving me a terrible headache for the rest of the day, I try to escape to the basement where my brother in law and I play a few games of pool and raid my mother in laws liquor cabinet. Then we eat and of coarse there is enough food for 10x the people so, like you all do we eat to much. We usually leave there around 3 and go onto my family . Sometimes we have to drive well over a hour, and that sucks. Of coarse were still full from our first meal, but of coarse its Thanksgiving so you cant insult them by not eating again. Now, im REALLY miserable. So, to the couch to watch football why my kids and all of my cousins kids make all kinds of noise to make sure my headache doesn't go away. All of this while im trying to breath and hold in turkey farts and answer the same questions that my aunts and uncles bombard me with about whatever I answered the year before. 9:00 or so gets there and time to drive home. Wife and kids fall asleep before we get out of the driveway and I get to listen to symphony of snoring all the way home........ that about sums it up..........

However, lets not all forget the meaning of Thanksgiving. All jokes aside, I am happy to have the family I have. I'm thankful for the rights I have, the talents, the friends. I'm thankful for our military, the fact that I can worship God without getting my head lopped off. All of these things and more. Last but not least, I am thankful for you degenerates here, for all of your support both through purchasing knives or just being my friend. Happy Thanksgiving everybody! CHEERS!

Last edited by a moderator:
So the family was over for thanksgiving morning. After breakfast, we were all sitting around digesting the meal, and my Mom got up to look for my uncle, who had been gone for a while. A min or two later all we hear is mom yelling " What the hell are you doing Jim ? I said PLUCK the turkey and I would cook it !" PLUCK !

Its great that Thanksgiving means the same thing for many people across this wonderful land we inhabit. After reading your story Todd it reminded me of exactly what it was like when I was younger. All of my family would gather at my grandparents house. There would be about 22 people in a split level bungalow that was about 1000sqf. The youngest of the children would be upstairs in the toy room and their longer hallway to the bedrooms playing hockey / soccer, the older teenagers would be in the basement raiding the liquor cabinets and watching tv, and the adults would be on the man level getting dinner ready and watching football. At dinner time we would all get segregated again into different tables. The youngest got to stay in the kitchen which seated about 8, some of the grumpy teenagers would get to just stay anti-social to family and take their food to the basement, and the adults would always be at the dining room table. I too always felt out on all the 'fun' of the adult table, but it wasn't really as 'fun' as we thought it was the few times I got to sit with my parents (normally for getting into trouble for something :rolleyes:). We always had a great time being together during dinner and we were always blessed with having an abundance of food for everybody. The only ONE item that there would never be enough of was tater tots! No mater how many people where around they would all be gone after the first round of people dishing up their plates!
At the end of dinner everybody would get called up to the living room. My grandfather would get out his Bible and we would read something from the book of Psalms. Normally he would read a shorter chapter, but if the kids were acting out he would threaten to read one of the really long ones! To this day I can still close my eyes and hear his voice.
My grandfather would then go out to the garage with my uncles and enjoy a pipe. I could always smell it on them when they came back in, a very nostalgic and calming sent. All the kids would now go down to the basement and watch tv. Most of us would pass out in a turkey coma and have to be carried home :)

Now a days it all depends on which family is around! we trade years back and forth between my inlaw's and my family because we understand that we can't spend enough time trying to see everybody. This year my younger brother in law was home. He was recently discharged from the navy and just got back this week. We got into the the rum and spent the afternoon playing with my kids! Dinner was amazing and we all took out turns expressing our thanks. I am extremely thankful and blessed with the best family one could ever dream of, the roof over our heads, the great food we are blessed with, and the great friends I have (including those I have yet to meet in person from here).

I would also like to thank you guys for this incredible give away. Thank you for sharing your talents and skills with us, and continuously providing your wealth of knowledge for all of us to benefit from.

Cheers,

Tiim

i don't have any funny stores, but there is one thanks giving that is really special to me.
my uncle has been part of the Oklahoma National Guard since he graduated HS, and in 2008 his unit deployed to be part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. as you can imagine it was a pretty hard year for, not only his wife and kids, but for the whole family, and unfortunately he missed the holidays that year. well his unit was only on a one year rotation, so in 2009 he made it back safe, and that year we truly had something to be thankful for. our families live a ways part from each other and unfortunately, due to school, i was not able to be there when he got home, so that thanks giving was one of the first times i got to see him when he got back

These days Thanksgiving and Christmas is my wife and I flipping a coin and deciding which part of the state to spend it in or driving the 5 hours between our families. It's a lot of driving, but it is great to be able to see and catch up with everyone. When I was a kid it was generally an awesome dinner with my dad’s side of the family on or around Thanksgiving and a dinner or day out with my Mom’s side of the family…. With a bunch of aunts, uncles and cousins crammed in a tiny house. Between the food, football, shooting or jaunts back into the Hoosier National Forest in her backyard fun was had by all, but my story stems from a atypical Thanksgiving and is one my dad still gets a kick out of.

One year we were invited to visit my uncle, Dad’s brother, out of state for Thanksgiving. We packed up and headed out to spend the long weekend with them. It was an excellent trip, visit & meal. My uncle and dad decided to take a short trip out and escape to a spot my uncle has on a lake. It turns out that earlier in the week he had a bit of a mishap while doing some work down there and his lawn tractor took a bit of a dip in the lake. Dad was going to help him give it a good once over.

They had supplies to change oil, give it a tune up, change fuel etc… They get to it working on checking the damage the tractor’s swim may have caused. I noticed that my dad had this maniacal look on his face and he says to my uncle, “OK, we have to get this water out of here. I’ll turn the engine over and I want you to look to see if anything comes out of this hole.”

I step back....... recognizing the look on his face.

My uncle leans over and peers into the hole. My dad turns the key, cranks the engine and sends a jet of oily black water right into the face of his unsuspecting brother. "%&$#?@!...." Coughs & spits just to get out another sting of, “F$%&! piece of ^%*&! Son of a &%$£!*@!!!” as he feels around for a rag to wipe his face.

Dad and I were laughing so hard….. Best thanksgiving ever. The story is still a good one to get my uncle wound up and dad laughing.

Well... I don't actually remember this story, as it is about me when I was probably 3 years old (which isn't so long ago for me, but how many do remember things from age 3?), but I am reminded by my aunts and uncles every thanksgiving about a particular time we were all together. We were at my uncles house, with my dad's side of the family, he has three siblings, and all my cousins from those 6 aunts and uncles. Being three, I did not get to enjoy all the wonderful food like larger children and adults did, I got everything cut into little bits, and the like, yuk... but what I did get to enjoy, was pumpkin pie, and I LOVED (and still do love) pumpkin pie! The story goes, that I was given a very, very large piece of pie, especially for my age, and I got so excited that I started flailing my arms, hit the plate, and set the pie up into my face! Oh, what a mess! of course, being 3, I didn't really care, I ate it anyway! Smearing it all over my face and clothes, trying to grab what I could manage to salvage and shove into my little mouth, I would not let it go to waste! We still have a picture in a baby book of mine that shows me with pumpkin pie all over myself, and of course I hear about it to no end every year.

Thanks for the opportunity at an awesome knife!

Well I have 2 Thanksgivings that stand out about family. One with my family and 1 with my wife's family. The first story about my family requires a little background. My dad loved to deer hunt and had kidney failure in 1993 and ended up getting a kidney transplant. Fast forward to the day before Thanksgiving 2004. I took the day off from work and took my dad deer hunting on a tract of land we had leased. He was not feeling well but I talked him into going any way. He ended up sitting in the truck most of the time and neither of us saw any deer. Thanksgiving day we spent most of the day with my family and my dad was feeling worse and we had no idea what was taking place. On Friday, my mom took him to the ER and found out that his kidney was failing. He was put on dialysis but he had issues and it was not working. He continued to decline and on Dec. 16 the family was called in. He asked to be taken off the pain medications he was on so that he was lucid enough that could say his goodbyes to us and my 3 children, his only grandchildren. I spent that night with him and at about 6:00 am on the morning of the 17th he took his last breath, 9 days before his 66th birthday. Little did I know that that day before Thanksgiving would be the last time I got to go hunting with my dad and hunting has not been the same since.

My father in law was retired city fireman an avid Corvette nut. He had always been healthy and active until he developed a blood disorder and then a glioblastoma brain tumor in 2007. By Thanksgiving he was in a nursing home and wheelchair bound. Thanksgiving morning I took his prized 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06 to the nursing home, my wife wheeled him out and we loaded him into the passenger's seat. He had no idea that we were going to do this and the smile on his face was priceless. I took him riding and stopped him at some of his Corvette buddies houses to chit chat. That was the last time he got to ride in a Corvette, and he talked about it until he passed away in January, 2008, 37 months to the day that my dad passed away. He was 66.

I will remember those 2 Thanksgivings the rest of my life.

Some great stories here!! I already feel very thankful for the help with the HT on my first 2 knives so this will not be an entry, but ill participate none the less.

Well i have a couple sad stories but i dont really want bring them up online so ill tell one that i remember that makes me happy. Of course i have several that are fond memories, but one stands out. I dont like getting all emotional, especially online, so ill keep it short and sweet.

Thanksgiving 2005, I was stationed overseas in south Korea and i was lucky enough to get a pass on thanksgiving to spend with my wife who was pregnant with our first child at the time. We couldnt get a whole lot of great foods there, and had very limited stuff to cook with and had to do it all in the small barracks kitchen in between several others trying to do the same thing. My wife did a fantastic job with the limited stuff we had and we had an amazing thanksgiving. This was also when we decided to call and tell both our families that we were having a baby. Some were happy for us and some not so much, and we were scared out of our minds but we had each other and we were damn happy about that. Soon after my wife went back to the states and i didnt see her again until after my first child was born.

Thanks you guys for all your generosity! Im so very thankful for my family and im also thankful to know all of you on this forum and appreciate all you guys do!

I'm thankful for all my family (even the moochers who piss me off half the time), my friends, both domestic and interweb, and all the opportunities available to me here in in the USA.

My story goes back to 1985 when I (a Navy guy) was stationed at Kelly AFB in San Antonio. That Thanksgiving eve, I rolled into my parents place (north of Austin) about midnight. When I came in through the back door into the kitchen, sitting on the counter was a fresh, hot, steaming 14 inch cast iron pan full of cornbread. Anyone who knows me, knows that cornbread is one of my 3 major food groups.

So I got out a plate, cut a big wedge, smeared some butter on it and poured molasses all over it and chowed down. It was SOOOOO good, I had a second chunk and then went to bed.

About 5 a.m., my mother started beating on my door, yelling about how some big rat had gotten into her cornbread for dressing and that she was gonna have to make another to have enough.

She was not too happy with my reply - "Great, that means I can have cornbread for breakfast."

Well most Thanksgivings are pretty typical round here. Beer,food,beer,football,food. Same cycle every year. Happy day for all. Good food made by my mom(can't say the same about everyone esle;)). Might end up drinking or eating elsewhere too depending on if the beer or food supply is running low. Always usually a great time.

Worst Thanksgiving was when we were eating over at my uncles house one year. Everybody very drunk. Uncle decided to make a cajun deep fried turkey which i've had before and is excellent. But "some" drunken fool put a unopened can of beer inside of the turkey before it got put into a bubbling cauldron of oil. The can explodes after the turkey goes into the oil,spills/splatters all over the garage, catching fire as it hits the flame underneath. The pot with the oil was next to a wall that was apprantly covered in a substance that was also flammable because when flames hit it half the wall started on fire. So with no help from the FD everything was put out with extinguishers though a good portion of the garage was burned up. Oil got burnt so turkey i'm sure would not have been very descent to eat but somebody ended up bringing over some roasted turkey that they had made. So still ended up eating turkey. All was well.

Thank You for the generousity and if picked will definately be cutting the turkey with this knife where ever I'm at. Have a good Thanksgiving everybody!

Thanksgiving is definitely my favorite holiday, always has been. I have lots of happy and funny stories about it, but I don't think I've ever told this one to anyone here.

Many, many years ago, I once did a little time in jail for growing my own pot. I had a steady job and no violent or property-crime charges, so the judge gave me "work-release", which was a blessing in itself. I was also eligible to be on home-arrest with the ankle bracelet thing, but they didn't have any available. So I'd go to work in the morning, come back to County at night and stay there all weekend. Not exactly fun, but it sure could have been worse.

One fine morning the head guard woke me up at 4AM and said, "Get your stuff together, you're going home. We've got a bracelet for you." You never saw a guy get dressed so fast!

That was Thanksgiving Day, 1996.

It gets better... among other people (mainly my parents) I called a good friend to share the news once I got settled in. That night after they were done visiting family and whatnot, he and his woman came over with two heaping plates of food for me... turkey, stuffing, taters, gravy, cranberry sauce, pie, rolls, the whole works. Wow... I was speechless.

Being allowed to keep my job, having a decent job in the first place, being allowed to serve out my "time" at home, staying in contact with friends and family, and sharing a home-cooked meal with people who care... that's a whole lot to be thankful for :)

My favorite thanksgiving I can remember....I was probably only 12 or 13 at the time and my birthday is very close to thanksgiving so we usually celebrated my birthday with thanksgiving. Awesome right? Presents+all the great food=one happy kid. I remember I had my cousins over and we were fighting with foam swords in the house and weren't far from the kitchen, maybe fifteen feet away, and we all heard my mother and grandmother scream at the same time and had to go check it out. We usually have stuffing, candied yams, ham, green bean casserole and of course the turkey. We came running in to see my grandparents cat, that had got out of its cage, standing right on top of the freshly cooked turkey that was cooling off in it's pan. Just imagine it, a grumpy old cat with all it's claws stuck right in our turkey, gnawing on the thanksgiving goodness. My grandmother and my mother tried shooing it off before it ruined the turkey and in spite of us ruining the cat's meal, the nasty little feline dropped a big, plump, turd right on the turkey. The evil little thing also managed to knock the green bean casserole off the counter and put its foot right in the middle of the candied yams before we managed to catch it.

We had pizza for dinner that year. :D

Morale of the story: Cats either stay at home, or get cooked at thanksgiving if you are going to a relatives house.

No funny or memiorable stories that I can remember. I just KNOW that i am glad to be states side for Thanksgiving and that there are two I will never get back.

SWMBO is one of 8 kids -- so holiday dinners with her family used to fill her parents' house to overflowing.
one year they had just gotten a puppy (someone abandoned a litter at our place, it must have followed us the 70 miles to her folks') and rather than spend the day sardined in the house, I stopped at the lumberyard after work on Wednesday and picked up 50 feet of 2x4 welded wire and a dozen t-posts, then built a dog run while SWMBO suffered.
Finished the job just in time for the meal, so I didn't have to deal with a puppy begging food and widdling on my shoes all through the meal, and shortly after we finished eating, SWMBO was "familied out" so we got to leave!
yay!

Thanks to you, Todd and Murph, for all that you've given to the Beckerhead community for the time I've been proud to be a member.

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite time of the year....but bittersweet. Been LOTS of good times with family. The one I won't ever forget wasn't "good" in the normal sense of the word, tho. 4 years ago I stayed up til 2 am cooking an entire turkey dinner for about a dozen people...then got in the car with dinner and my family and drove to Pennsylvania from NH and arrived in the snow to have Thanksgiving at the hospital where my older sister was being treated for breast cancer. The hospital chaplain, though uninvited, seemed intent on being there with us and we invited him in, tho we are a family of agnostics and really couldn't figure out why he was there - my sister wasn't going to accept, nor was she ready for, last rites......food was awesome (surprisingly, after travelling all that way) and it was really something just because we all turned out for her. Not really my normal family dynamic. Like I said, not really happy but certainly the most memorable Thanksgiving I've ever experienced; it made me really consider how thankful I am for all the people (and things) in my life that I had taken for granted, even the things I had thought I was thankful for before my sister got sick. That was our last Thanksgiving together (she passed away on December 30th of that year, 3 days shy of her 50th birthday), but it's not all sad...I remember a LOT of happy Thanksgivings with my sister and my family...but that one really put giving of thanks in Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
About 18 years ago, when I was still living in Puerto Rico, we had Thanksgiving at my mom's house. My parents are divorced but my dad is always visiting my mom, lol. I was already studying at college and that meant I was home only for the weekends. On that Thanksgiving Day, all of us were there at my mom's house: dad, my brother, sister and mom so it was just us 5 for a cozy, warm reunion. Mom makes a mean de-boned turkey stuffed with "mofongo" (google it up, delicious traditional puertorrican dish), there was also arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas), flan...a lot of good stuff to eat. After we had our fill, we started to drop like flies.

Dad picked a couch, and since there is also a bed in that room I picked a spot and laid down, soon followed by my brother. So the guys of the house were all in the same spot...our collective snoring was so loud I woke up 15 minutes later by the noise we were making. Good times. So many things to be thankful for, Happy Holidays to y'all!

Back