(Winner announced!)Contest-Win a full set of HoodsWoods DVD's!

T-Man,

Hell! They get MORE than what I originally ordered and then studied and sold to you! :D

I might have to go back and get the one or two that really interested me that I didn't get around to ordering. I think "Camping Survival" and "Desert Survival."

They're great DVDs.

Where they really shine is with kids! Even if someone thinks they know everything, you can sit a smart kid down with these DVDs and, number one, they're not watching "Captain Planet" or some other horseshit indoctrination programming. Number two, they will be more interested in the outdoors and all of this stuff which are life skills as far as I'm concerned. Number three, they might catch stuff or figure out a new twist on something that you do or Ron does that is very cool and valuable.

great dvd's bro, missing only desert & jungle survival :D I'll get 'em oneday :thumbup:

Guys this prize is so awesome & timeless :thumbup:

I have not had this since I was up at my buddies family deer camp about 5 years ago. I don't have any pictures but I do have the recipe. I would love to make it but I'm coming up short on a raccoon. I don't expect this will be a winning entry, but a fun recipe to share none the less.

Cream of Mushroom Raccoon
-2 lbs. Diced Raccoon (1 inch cubes)
-1 Can Mushrooms
-2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
-Egg Noodles
-Salt and Pepper

Place Raccoon meat in a pot of water bring to a boil and cook for one hour.
Remove meat and discard the water.
Add 2 Cans of Mushroom Soup, Can of Mushrooms, and 2 cans of water to a large pot over medium heat.
Add Raccoon and simmer for 30 minutes.
Serve over egg noodles.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Note: You can also add dried onions just before serving as a garnish.

I set off to the cottonwood groves along the Missouri River this afternoon to see what I could do about coming up with some stuff for this contest. I carried with me a couple small pots, some seasonings, and a few ideas of what I could do with some really nasty animals were I to come across any. Being the winter season, maggoty and buggy things were sadly out of the question. Most plants are in a completely unedible form, and many of the nasty plants have already rotted away. With this in mind I was still determined that there would be some sort of at least mildly nasty dishes whipped up today.

This is what I found:
DSC_4664.jpg

Two paddlefish and a smallmouth bass, found right along the river or in sandbars. The paddlefish are a bit of a mystery (I found more than just these two) as they are fish that usually stay very deep, however these look like bird kills. The bass was an obvious bird kill as I found it in a grove with all the signs of birds around it. The squirrel (hereafter known as Reggie... For whatever reason I decided to name it) was found on a gravel road on the way out to the river. Also found a mussel in a sandbar. Actually there were several, but this was the only one that wasn't completely frozen into the sand.

First thing first, got a fire started and worked on a couple stews. Because my pots were small I made one stew each for the bass and the squirrel, as the main courses for this meal. In different seasons a bug or plant heavy side dish might round out the meal better.

Carrion Stew
(One serving)

1 small dead animal* (Fish, squirrel, rabbit, snake, turtle, etc.)
Seasoning Salt and/or Lawry's
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder/Minced Dried Onions
Salt
Pepper

*Pick roadkill that is particularly smooshed or aged, and dead fish/other animals that are similarly well seasoned. The effects of age, vehicular pulverization, and insect activity will combine to produce much more tender, pleasing meat.

First, remove remaining skin from all furry animals and shells from shelled animals. Cube up what there is of the animal and place into a pot. Season to taste. Fill pot with just enough water to cover the animal. Bring pot to a boil then simmer for approximately 25 minutes for fish and 1 hour for other animals. Let cool for five minutes then serve.

DSC_4695.jpg

DSC_4696.jpg

Next thing to deal with is the mussel.

River Mussel Surprise

Open mussel shell and separate halves. Place mussel in one half of shell with water. Place mussel and shell near fire and simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes then SLURP!

DSC_4681.jpg

DSC_4692.jpg

And of course we can't forget about those lovely decaying paddlefish--they make a scrumptious dessert!

Paddle Crisp

Remove paddle/nose from paddlefish. Dispose of remainder of paddlefish a reasonable distance from cooking site to discourage scavenging animals from interrupting your romantic woodland supper. Roast paddles near the fire until golden brown and crisp.

DSC_4679.jpg

And there you have it... One complete meal from the bounty of nature.

Reggie says they're fun treats for both family and friends!
DSC_4652.jpg

Last edited:
Squirrel Stew

~ 3 squirrels, cleaned and cut up
~ 1/4 cup all purpose flour
~ 1 teaspoon salt
~ 1/2 teaspoon pepper
~ 2 slices bacon
~ 2 tablespoons butter
~ 5 cups of water
~ 1 - 28 oz can whole tomatoes
~ 1 chopped onion
~ 1 heaping tablespoon of brown sugar
~ 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
~ 1 - 10 oz package frozen lima beans
~ 1 cup frozen corn
~ 3 tablespoons all purpose flour

Combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Coat the squirrel pieces.

In a Dutch oven, combine bacon and butter over medium heat until butter melts. Add squirrel and brown.

Add water, tomatoes, onion and brown sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Remove squirrel pieces and let cool. Remove meat from bones.

Add meat, potatoes, beans and corn to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

Mix 3 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of cold water, then stir into stew. Heat to boiling.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, bubbly.

Serve with warm rolls and enjoy!

normal_20090315w_roadkill01.jpg

_DSC0867sq.jpg

thumb_e-mail-squirrel-stew.jpg

Bump and an extension.

One more week and this is dead guys, get to cooking!

Last edited:
I cant believe the lack of entries ont his contest...here is mine, ive been so tied up with work i wasnt able to do what i planning but here goes...

Rainbow trout

Have to catch em first!

07-08-2010028.jpg

07-08-2010017.jpg

Then get ready to clean them.

07-08-2010035.jpg

07-08-2010054.jpg

07-08-2010055.jpg

Now there are tonnes of great recipes for fish, here are two of mine,

1 onion
1/2 tsp of pepper
ranch dressing
1 tbs of butter
season salt to taste

cook on medium heat until fish separated from the bone. This is the domesticated way to cook trout :D

supper.jpg

The other way i cook trout

separate the whole skeleton from the fish itself, smother in butter and season salt and slow cook over an open fire.

i find it tastes the best this way.

IMG_8458.jpg

Thanks for the chance to enter this contest. sorry for the lack of nasty road kill pics..

-G1

Is rocketbomb still with us? :eek:

BTW, worst movies ever made...
Blues Brothers 2000
Meet Joe Black

Ordered a few of these when I saw the sticky a week ago. My brother and I just watched Survival Basics I & II tonight. Great videos - this is a great prize!

And thanks rocketbomb.... I need to clean the puke off of my keyboard. :barf:
:)

I bumped this back up. Shotty has been sick after SHOT show so I'm sure he will get around to chosing a winner as soon as he's feeling better

congrats brother....well done....one question...did you serve watermelon with it...lmao..

RB,

Grats man, well done sir. Now you got something to watch while your killin' all that time!

God bless,
Adam

congrats brother....well done....one question...did you serve watermelon with it...lmao..

I didn't have any rotten watermelon around, so no. However, in mid summer there may have been some gloopy melon as a side dish.

Thanks for the contest, and I'm really looking forward to watching the DVDs. I would kind of like to try to do skills posts as I watch and try to share some of the information. We'll see what happens.

Very glad to be able to help Ron out also. I would be all for just buying some of his stuff myself but I'm unemployed at the moment and trying to pinch pennies best I can. Playing with dead animals for a couple hours to help out? You got the guy for the job right here.

Are there any updates on how Ron is doing?

EDIT:

From this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817171

I have heard from Karen and Ron went through surgery last Thursday. Everything seems pretty good from the best I have heard.

Back