Winter Kith, 2017/2018

Willie71

Warren J. Krywko
I think we missed Christmas this year. . I will host a winter kith this year, and we will aim to have our knives done by midnight, 04 February, 2018.

A kith is a “knife in the hat”, an exchange where each maker makes a knife or other blades object and if completed by the deadline, I will draw names and let each maker know where their knife is going to. The knife you will receive will be a surprise, as only I, and the person who made your knife will know who is receiving it.

Knives (or other bladed objects) must be your own work, so no kit knives please. If you waterjet profiles, no problem.

If this is your first kith, or if you are unsure if your knives are kith ready, send me a pm with a picture, or email me at wjkrywko at gmail dot com. I’ll let you know if your work is ready.

Knives must be ready on 04 February 2018, midnight, or you won’t be able to participate.

You are not committed to anything if you sign up, as life/orders/injuries get in the way. If your knife is ready at midnight on the 4th, I’ll do a draw with all completed knives and let you know where your knife is going. International members are welcome, but I ask that you cover the difference between domestic and international shipping.

Knives must include a sheath, saya, or zippered knife pouch.

Remember, this is about giving, not receiving, so more experienced members will not likely get an “equal” knife in return. I strongly believe that this is a sharing community, and I’ve gained a lot from the kith knives I’ve receives elevating my skills. Keep things reasonable and aim to make a knife that would go for approximately $150.00-$250.00. You can go as extravagant as you want, but don’t expect that in return.

For new members, you should be able to make a knife with an even plunge, a knife that is symmetrical from left to right, and be properly finished, with no stray grinding marks under the finish. If you aren’t sure of the handle materials, ask, and we can guide you. Walnut, maple, micarta, and g-10 are easy to find and cheap. I can ship out some hardwoods to help people out too.

Please send me your shipping address and phone number when you complete your knife. You won’t be entered until you submit your info, through pm, or email.

Warren

Last edited:
Interested

Skillgannon
Timos
Tmerkl
JoshRG
Willue71
Stacy E. Apelt
S Buzek
Jdm61
Kuraki
Kevin McGovern
Fish 30114
Steve Beckwith
Bamph
Valknut

Last edited:
No way am I ready for one yet but I can't wait to to one of these!!! Good luck and have fun everyone!

I hate to ask but what is the kith knife event. I have no idea on what happens in the event. Do they get judged somehow, do they get returned to you, some details would be great, maybe a link to the rules. Thanks

I hate to ask but what is the kith knife event. I have no idea on what happens in the event. Do they get judged somehow, do they get returned to you, some details would be great, maybe a link to the rules. Thanks
KITH = knife in the hat. We all make knives and put our name in a hat. We do a drawing which gives us another persons name who we give the knife we made to.

I would like to sign up for this as well. Do we post progress pics here or in a new thread of our own?

I will be able to join the winter KITH.

tmerkl,
You usually don't post in progress photos unless there is something unusual about the knife. If you do, do it in a separate thread. Near the end of the KITH, Willie will post an "I'm ready" thread for people to show their finished knives and be officially in the KITH. No one is "in" the KITH until the final post in the "I'm Ready" thread.
Use the BF custom search engine in the stickys and search KITH. You will get all the info.

Edit - I see Willie said it is OK to post the photos here.

Last edited:
Haven't done a kith in a few years, but I guess I will throw one in the hat.

Haven't done a kith in a few years, but I guess I will throw one in the hat.
Awesome! I'm planning to do a slip joint, maybe you'll end up with it and can give me some pointers! You've given me some great info on (instagram @tim.merkl), it'd be nice to get one in front of you for some critique!

Great! Nine interested so far. I’ll keep the list in post #2 updated as best I can. Let me know if I miss you.

I will be able to join the winter KITH.

tmerkl,
You usually don't post in progress photos unless there is something unusual about the knife. If you do, do it in a separate thread. Near the end of the KITH, Willie will post an "I'm ready" thread for people to show their finished knives and be officially in the KITH. No one is "in" the KITH until the final post in the "I'm Ready" thread.
Use the BF custom search engine in the stickys and search KITH. You will get all the info.

Edit - I see Willie said it is OK to post the photos here.

I will start a new thread the week before the deadline for completed knives to be posted. If a pic is not posted, you won’t be included in the exchange. Progress pics can go in this thread.

Back