Winter kith?

Willie71

Warren J. Krywko
Hey, everyone, there hasn't been a Christmas kith this year, so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a winter kith? Maybe finish the project by January 30? I'm gauging interest. Standard kith rules would apply. Everyone who can make a complete functional knife is welcome. If interested, post below, and I'll detail the standard rules if say 6 or 10 people are interested.

Warren

Edit: There are enough interested people. We will run a "Groundhog Day kith" and if you have a knife ready by midnight, 02 February, 2017, ready to ship, you will be given a shipping label. You are not committed to anything. If you miss the deadline, no problem. Work, life, injuries, and orders all happen. Stacy posted the kith rules a few posts down, and they will be followed.

The people who have shown interest, or possible interest are:

Brock47. Complete.

ERRN
A.McPhersen
Kevin McGover. Complete.

Willie71 Complete
velferd
BeartlettBlades Complete.
Dluxhvac

Hengelo_77
Mnavarro. Complete.
Jwgriesser. Complete.
Timos
no.4shot

wkfl. Complete.

Leifjl. Complete.

Daniel Rhode
Callum.D
Kevin McGovern. Complete.
JoshRG. Complete.
PaMtBkr
Steve Beckwith
Ghostman3 Complete.

Fish30114. Complete.
Kuraki. Complete.
TG custom blades. Complete.

If I missed anyone, let me know.

Last edited:
Yes, I'd be interested! I've waited out for a couple kiths and thought we would have one for Christmas.

Not sure if I'm experienced enough, but if so, I'd be interested....in either a general or Kitchen KITH.
~billyO

I'd be interested, but also don't think my experience is there. Maybe if we had one for newbies. I've only made about ten knives.

I'll give it a go! I'd prefer just a "whatever you make" kinda KITH, since I've never really tried to make a kitchen knife yet... then again I might be a good experience for me. Trying new things and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any knife. Kitchen knives are popular, because they get used, but I'm doing a hunter. Axe, tomahawk, skinner, whatever floats your boat. If you can make a useable knife, skill level is irrelevant, new makers can get an example of a well made knife from a more experienced user, and can get feedback on how to improve. It's not about what you get, but the experience of giving and sharing knowledge that is important. The rules are do the best knife you can make. Period.

The only stipulation is that you make the knife, start to finish. I'd prefer not to see file knives, but an experienced maker could make that work. Use good quality materials, and do the best heat treat you can. If you need help with heat treat, lets work together and share our resources. I'd be happy to heat treat any Canadian makers knives for them for free if they need the help. We can trade materials and resources as needed.

Last edited:
Ill have to think about this for a bit, since I may be getting rather busy during the next two months. I am interested though.

Id probably make a 5 inch hunter, or the like.

Ok, so since I'm a knife making noob, I'm going to ask a stupid question. What does Kith stand for? I'm assuming some kind of contest, and if that's the case I'm in

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I would be interested. I know you guys don't hear from me much but i have been following shop talk for a few years just soaking up all the info i can from you guys. If Austria isn't to much trouble with shipping i would be glad to give it a go.

I could possibly be enticed to join. I wish I would have jumped in on the kitchen KITH but I was quite busy. I might even have a knife done already to give away. Need to look through the box of knives. Might do a D2 puukko, really dig that style and I have some D2 heat treat I been itching to try out from my buddy bluntcut.

I have been so busy that I never put up a Christmas KITH. I think a Groundhog day KITH would be a good idea ( Feb2). I won't be able to run it, but it isn't too hard if you keep all the info in a file. I will be glad to help the person running it with advice.

What works best is this set of rules ( Change all the dates and KITH name):

A KITH is a Knife In The Hat...and old knife exchange tradition from the depression days.
In our version, you make a knife and it will get sent by you to a recipient. No one knows who gets their knife will go to until all are done and a random assignment program is run. People can post "I'm In" now, but there is no problem if you don't post that, or if you don't get the knife done......You are not obligated until the Dec. 1,2014 deadline when all will have to post:
" My knife is ready and in a box ready to ship."

The KITH is open to all who wish to make a knife or similar tool ( sword, hawk, etc.) that they feel represents the best of their abilities and efforts. Brand new makers and those with only a few knives under their belt should sit this out until they develop their skills a bit more. All others should just try and do a good job. We have knives from fairly new makers to master smiths. All are given with the spirit of the KITH, and received just as gladly.

There will be no exceptions to the Dec.1,2014 cutoff. If the knife isn't finished by then, you won't get a shipping label....no exceptions. ( If you need the label early ,that won't be such a problem, but no extensions.)

So, if everyone wants to, lets get started. Here is the KITH:

2014 CHRISTMAS KITH
This thread is for all those interested in joining the 2014 KITH.
While it is usually called the Christmas KITH, it can be a Hanukkah KITH, or a Winter Solstice KITH, etc. The purpose is to make a knife and give it away to another knifemaker. In return you will get a knife from someone. No one will know who they are making the knife for until after the knife is finished, and no one will know who they will receive a knife from until it arrives in the mail.

If you are interested in becoming a part of this:

Post on this thread,
“I’m In - I will make a knife by December 1,2014.”
Also, sent me an email to, sapelt@cox.net . Give me you real name, your forum name, shipping address, contact phone, and email.

At this point, that is all you need to do. I will keep track of those who are interested in participating. I will post a reminder in November. If you don’t finish the knife, or if there is a conflict of schedule, there is no problem this way - the recipients are only drawn from those who have completed their entry by Dec. 1, 2014.

About the knives:
SOME BASIC RULES :

The entrant must make, finish, and box the knife by or before December 1, 2014. Once finished, the maker can then post on the “2014 KITH - I’m Ready” thread. This thread will be posted starting November 1, 2014. Photos of the completed knives can be posted on a separate “KITH Photos “ thread.
By December 5, 2014, I will make a shipping label for each entrant, from those who have logged on the “I’M Ready” thread. I will have a number generator randomly assign the recipients. The only examination of the names will be to assure no one is sent their own label. I will then email the name and address to each person in the KITH.

The entry can be any knife or bladesmith related item. Fixed blade, folder, axe, hawk, sword, etc. The only requirement is that it be made by the submitter ( For simplicity, I will refer to it as “the knife“). The workmanship should be of the best quality that you are able to do. Levels will vary depending on ability and experience, but if you feel your knife will be a suitable gift, then by all means enter. If you are just starting, and still learning the basics, perhaps sitting this year out would be best. The knife should be fully completed, and a sheath or case is advisable. You should provide all the pertinent information on the knife in a note to the recipient ( put this in the box). Outside services, such as Water Jet, Stabilization, and Heat Treatment are fine, but the workmanship on the knife should be yours.
The value level of the knife is up to you . It should be something that will be happily received by the new owner, but levels of value will vary, depending on the maker and their circumstances. It is a fun gift exchange, not a swap meet. It is not about what you get back for what you put in. Some knives will be worth $100, and others will be worth $400. I would suggest that you keep the knives in the general range of $200 in value, but it is totally up to you. No one is obligated to go beyond their means to enter this KITH.

Lets all have some fun and make some truly worthy knives.

Back