WIP Massive Titanium Roller Bearing Frame Lock

Massive folding frame lock knife built with .190" Titanium slab handles, .25" flat ground 5160, and micro roller bearing .25" pivot.

I will document the entire process because there has been a lot of chatter recently about the IKBS and similar systems. My goal last year was to have a table at BLADE this year so this will serve as my prototype for a line of large folding knives. OK so first things first here are the plans drawn out for the knife. Blue circles represent the micro roller bearing around the pivot and the .3" tri-ring stand offs. A stainless steel hardened .312 thumb stud will serve double duty as my stop pin.

Any and all comments are welcome. Hope you guys enjoy the ride!

folderortho.jpg

That is a big knife.

Yes yes it is. The concept came from an old friend with a moose head mounted in his den. We got to talking about dangerous game and he said, "Will make me a pocket knife that could take down a bull moose and I'll buy the first two." This knife sure as hell wouldn't be my first choice in a moose weapon but in the world of folders I think it could compete. What I'm most excited about is the feel of that massive blade on a no friction micro roller bearing pivot.

He are some components and laser cut plywood mockups I did to test grip, function, and fit.
DSC00850.jpg

DSC00851.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00844.jpg

Theres that ol saying.. "the proof is in the pudding" that is a nice one, and that plywood mock up is killer!!! Great job!! You must own the laser? and do use the solid works program?

Theres that ol saying.. "the proof is in the pudding" that is a nice one, and that plywood mock up is killer!!! Great job!! You must own the laser? and do use the solid works program?

I'm a product design graduate student at the Savannah College of Art and Design so my day job is running the digital technology lab at night. That means full access to a fleet of machines like laser cutters, 3D printers, CNC machines, and large format printers. The program I do all my 2D and 3D CAD work is Rhino3D but I am more than familiar with SolidWorks and a half dozen equivalents. My thesis is focused on entrepreneurship and edged tool design so i get to play around with designs like this in the middle of the night "on the job".

Phenomonal..a DreamWorks of knifemaking capabilities..you said fleet and i drifted into a lab a buzz with production, my goodness WilliamWoods carry on... and know my 14 year old son who was modifying his kershaw out in the shop last night while i fell aslleep on the couch, well see the value/need of an education and the awesome ways in which it can be focused!
GHaile

WOW, put me on the mailing list for when these go up for sale! What an awesome looking knife.

Phenomonal..a DreamWorks of knifemaking capabilities..you said fleet and i drifted into a lab a buzz with production, my goodness WilliamWoods carry on... and know my 14 year old son who was modifying his kershaw out in the shop last night while i fell aslleep on the couch, well see the value/need of an education and the awesome ways in which it can be focused!
GHaile

Thanks for the kind words. I will try and keep this thread active with as many updates as I can.

WOW, put me on the mailing list for when these go up for sale! What an awesome looking knife.

No problem. Once I build this prototype and work out any quirks with the design, I will be set up to do a limited serialized run of 12. I'll upgrade my account and keep a list of anybody who is interested.

My best friend is the Assistant VP at Freeman Sheetmetal in Tuscaloosa, AL and he runs all the water jet jobs through their facility. I sent him my materials and he sent me a few videos of the process just for you guys! Enjoy!

Cutting the .25 5160 steel blades

[video=youtube;IWtGuClM0Lg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtGuClM0Lg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Cutting .190 titanium for the frame lock
[video=youtube;bj9hylnX1Fo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj9hylnX1Fo[/video]

I am so jealous of the toys you get to play with! :) A very cool folder, I'd like more info when you get it finalized too.

I like overbuilt.

I'm expecting a (one off I think) Peter R. in the next couple months. Send me one of yours and I can do a good review.

I can totally see a good-natured one-up war between you and peter r.

IMO Peter R.'s "Omen" Flipper is one of the best done "big boy" folders out there. Honestly I would be honored to be in a "king of the folder hill" fight with Peter.

I'm expecting a (one off I think) Peter R. in the next couple months. Send me one of yours and I can do a good review.

No problem. Serial #03 goes to you for a review.

Back