Recommendation? Wish list in the Swamp

It's so awesome to see things back in full swing at the Swamp, and with so many awesome new offerings!

I'm just curious who's got what on their minds in terms of what we wish for from the talented crew here (ie. @MaxRat & @RATequila).

I'm no way am I trying to detract from their beautiful designs, but it never hurts to get ideas, right? At the very least, maybe we can help inspire fusion of ideas or even remove doubts of interests!

I'll start with my first wish! (I’ll add another entry later)

I've been rooting for a Scottish-inspired Dirk and Sgian Dubh pairing.

For you who are not familiar:
A Scottish Dirk is a single-edged, single-handed short sword or long dagger with a full flat ground and fullered 10-14" blade. It's generally triangular in profile. I believe it's traditionally a secondary weapon worn edge-forward on the right hip for a quick reverse grip draw (in case you lose your primary weapon and need something quick). Of course, nowadays it's worn more for ceremonial purposes. But I really like the size and shape.

A Sgian Dubh is a small utility knife with a thin handle; around 7" OAL with a roughly 3.5" blade (~50:50 blade:handle). The name is literally translated as "knife black”, or “black knife". To my understanding, "black" isn't an aesthetic descriptor, but to denote concealment, often carried under the armpit. It’s now often seen as a “sock knife” by most because (supposedly) the knife would be tucked into the top of people’s hose/sock (over the calf) during a friendly visit/gathering, to show that they’re not concealing anything and bear no hostility. This is how people most wear them now - tucked into sock, strong-side, with some handle sticking/showing out the top.

The sgian dubh is probably one of my most used knives. I’m occasionally kilted, and I always have a sgian on me when kilted. Most commercial sgian dubhs on the market are absolute junk. They’re made of crap stainless that is mirror polished but won’t take or maintain an edge (as they’re not meant to) - they’re purely ornamental in function. Currently, I carry a small knife of a similar size in place because I refuse to carry a letter opener that pretends to be a knife. What I want is a fully functional hardy Rat or Bussekin. I’ll take a Micarta handled one for normal day-use and a Crab Shack one for formal functions.

Anyone else got things they’re wishing for?

And of course, no one will pay attention if there are no pictures, so:

2763CC88-29A0-4A83-8EBA-932F2F8352D9.jpeg

:D:D

Last edited:
Dirks are on the list of what I can't carry here... and I dislike fullers; but I'd still like to see it (and might consider buying an un-fullered version, since the signs suggest the crumbling of civilization).

I'd like something smaller than the RMD, but larger than the S.O.S. Choil-less 4-4.25" blade, RMD style handle.

I’ve never been able to get my hands on a Rodent Solution. I’d like to see a blade in that style...or to see it reappear :thumbsup:

Personally I'd like to see an mega rucki! With the big thickness and the same grind they offer on the mega ratweiler with a wider blade!

FFG drop point Rodent Trail, just like those (very few) Custom Shop ones that are out in the world.
Much better blade to handle ratio than Rodent Solution IMO

It would be a bonus if tang was skeletonized or I-beamed to reduce the weight

my guess is it has to be Max Mandu, they did the large blade (Weiler) and the tiny blade (Warden) so time for a medium blade and the RMD is their most popular so it seems logical. That said a Max Sword would be fun, or a new model

I'm in the market for a nice chopper. I'd like to see a Swamp Rat version of the Busse MOAB, but stuffed with cheese. Maybe a Mega MOAB. How about a MOAR (mother of all rats). :D

Back