Wish me luck, smoke and prayers would be nice

Hey all. I had no internet access for about a week, I come back and find things a little different. Anyway. I am only popping in, I will be gone for another couple weeks. For a few years I have been pursuing luthiere. Building guitars. I found this great book by one William Cumpiano. Then I found his website www.cumpiano.com. He takes private students, one at a time, a couple times a year, for a couple weeks. I have been on the waiting list for about two years and I go there this weekend. This is a big step in the direction I have been heading and I hope to learn a lot. Wish me luck and I hope to catch up when I get back. I may not have access to a computer there, I really don't know. If I do, then I'll post when I can, but I am going to be plenty busy. Thanks all.

Good luck! How exciting that must be. I am a woodworker also, and may need your wisdom for more conventional projects from time to time.:rolleyes:

Andy

Guitar maker, eh? Do you take custom orders? I don't play but I want to look like this:
kabong.jpg

Striking fear into the hearts of evil men with my Kabonger.

Seriously, best of luck:)

Jake
edit- gRammer adn speling

Good stuff Bob, hell, GREAT stuff. Those who craft musical instruments are a blessing to this world. My dad plays guitar, mandolin, and mountain dulcimer. Next time I'm home, I'm going to try talking him into a "recording session", so I can have his music to pass on to my grandchildren someday.:thumbup:

Sarge

Good luck Bobwhite:thumbup: What an exciting adventure!

My cousin is a guitar maker up here in Maine and does very well. He has made quite a name for himself in the trade. A few big names buy his guitars: Dixie Chicks, Ricky Skaggs etc..

How wonderful!

We want pictures, souvenir T-shirts, and maybe a used blade from one of his precision hand lathes.

Oh, ooh, and I want a fret. It is my sometimes logo.

I "fret."

Be well and safe.

Wish I was going with you; sounds like fun. One of these days, I'd like to build a copy of Django's Selmer. I've always wondered what those internal resonators actually do. Have a good time.

Serious problem. Mr. Cumpiano has just informed me that due to a recurrent back injury he will not be able to take me when planned. We are trying to reschedule. My job may not be co-operative. I had scheduled this off over a year ago, to try to do it for next month or early next year may not be approved. I won't know until some time next week. This could concievably not happen at all. I am pretty crushed.

I'm very sorry, Bob.

I hate disappointments.

Nothing can make it better.

Be well and safe.

Things happen for a reason, Bob....doesn't mean it sucks any less. It'll work out. If it doesn't, then Bruise and I will throw together a workshop for you on how to make a Kabonger out of cardboard and duct tape. BYOS (bring your own scissors)...oh, and make sure they are the plastic kind without a point. We're not "allowed" the pointed kind:rolleyes:.
Chin up friend. It'll be OK.

Jake

Well Hell. I'm sorry Bob.:( Hopefully work will cooperate with the new schedule, will send Smoke for that to happen.:thumbup:

Chin up Bob, one of these days you'll be the one teaching the classes. :thumbup:

Sarge

Thanks for the support guys. I'll keep you posted. This trip is the primary reason my sharking activity has been about non-existant for almost two years. All those DOTD and specials I passed on where sacrifices to this. The only real exception was getting Rusty's seax, that was a sacrifice the other way to honor him and I don't regret it a bit. Basically, I spent about two years putting this together in planning, preparation and finances. The financial part was the hardest and I passed up a lot of stuff I wanted to get and things I wanted to do. I had to split my cash between paying off some old debts and paying for this, there was no leeway for other stuff really. I will get my money back if it falls out at least, but I'd rather not have it go down that way. There is still a good chance of working this out, it just really blew me away when I opened the email this morning. I had that "I've just been gut shot" feeling. We'll see what next week brings.

Back