With the knife market slowing down what's everyone still hunting for?

Definitely a buyer’s market now.

It’s a good time to go after that custom grail...like a Loveless drop point.

Definitely a buyer’s market now.

It’s a good time to go after that custom grail...like a Loveless drop point.
I agree except for the Loveless drop point part. Most people don't know a true Loveless from ones made after his death. So, I pass entirely on anything "Loveless".

I agree except for the Loveless drop point part. Most people don't know a true Loveless from ones made after his death. So, I pass entirely on anything "Loveless".

you are quite right. Many knives passed through the Loveless shop that Bob did not work on. You must be very careful

But if you know the right people....;). There are dealers you can trust - dealers who have been around for 25+ years.

I was just surfing for a ka-bar 1117 but they are discontinued and I really like that knife.

Next i went to Bark River and looked up the Fingerlin as i love to carry a good quality Sharp Finger but the Fingerlin is a little pricy in my opinion for such a simple knife.

Probably just dig thru my closet and clean up an old USA made Stockman.

I have enough for now and even a few extras if a friend needs one.

you are quite right. Many knives passed through the Loveless shop that Bob did not work on. You must be very careful

But if you know the right people....;). There are dealers you can trust - dealers who have been around for 25+ years.
At this point, I see little reason to buy a Loveless unless you collect. It is good to know and trust certain dealers. I see the Loveless stuff at knife shows and often fondle the knives there..... like them.... then I step back and ask myself why am I even considering buying when I don't collect per se..... it's a disease. I could say this about most of the big name custom knife guys.

It's hard to get excited right now with Blade show being rescheduled, the Spyderco Amsterdam meet was cancelled, etc. etc. I always looked forward to those threads and seeing pics and videos of the new stuff. (I also convince my wife to go to shows too. We've been to Blade in Atlanta half a dozen times or so.)

I would imagine a number of new releases are getting pushed back with the number of places working only 'essential staff.' Like most things, I imagine knife manufacturers are taking a hit too.

Also, if you are like me, spending more time at home, I'm spending more time wishing I could see people I missed seeing on the recently cancelled vacation rather than worrying about adding knives to my collection. My parents, son and his wife, friends from since before Highschool, and nieces... I miss those people. I've got plenty of knives.

That said, there are a couple on my radar; Spyderco Siren, Spyderco Chaparral sun and moon, and I'm still on the fence about a couple others. Whether I'll pull the trigger still remains to be seen.

Stay well

Grizz

I’d like to add a Chris Reeve Ti-Loc to my collection so I’ll be keeping an eye out to see if someone decides to sell thier’s.

Last edited:
Luckily I'm considered essential worker. Nothing has slowed down.

I blew a grand this month on an olamic rainmaker and a hinderer xm18. I'm pretty satiated at this moment

However, being so very impressed with my first hinderer, I've been eyeballing the xm24 and full track. I'm definitely grabbing one someday soon

I haven't really been paying attention to the knife world since before Christmas, but I'm waiting for the PMTanto, and the 940 is always in my sights... Digging the look of the new Giantmouse fixed blade as well.

At this point I'm looking for knives made by Jon Graham, but agreed its a good time to go after that grail knife...

I’ve scored a few deals, and a deal is always fun! I have bought a four or five knives recently as I came to the understanding that BLADE wasn’t happening this year (I don’t think it’s happening in August either), so I have had funds. Plus, though I’m deemed “essential”, work has been slow so I’m left surfing the internet looking at knives most days lately.

I bought Warcraft Tanto at 30% off (paid 200€, starting price was 300€), free fast delivery included (shipped at my house in 4 days).

This the first high end/premium knife I ever bought, and there's no chance I would have bought it if I didn't find this kind of deal.

I've slowed my knife purchasing down significantly. This was already starting before the current crisis, but the crisis has accelerated the slowdown. I'm still working and still getting paid, so I'm fortunate from that standpoint. These days it takes a lot for me to seriously consider laying out significant funds for a knife. For instance, I was lusting after a non-flipper Reate Iron and was actually considering which color to add to my cart...and I paused...and waited and took a very critical look at the knife...0.16" thick blade stock and almost 5 ounces for a 3.25" blade? I passed. Lately I'm finding reasons to NOT buy a knife. The same thing happened with a 3" Hinderer Skinny...I asked myself if it would really be that different from the 3" Hinderer XM-18 I already own? I passed.

Bear in mind, I've never sold a knife. Other than giving some away and a couple that have come up missing, I have every knife I've ever owned. I can go open a knife bag and find something I haven't carried for a year or two and satisfy a little of the "Knew Knife Kneed".

That being said, I still get the knife itch. I've been trying to scratch it with cheaper, high-value knives that won't trigger financial guilt. I bought a CRKT Piet a couple of weeks ago and that hit a little bit of the itchy spot. I'm looking at a couple of the new Kershaws and will probably pick one of those up. I cruise the Exchange here once a day to see if I can pick up a knife I want and maybe help out someone in need at the same time.

I'm sure that if a grail knife ever crosses my path, I'll be begging the seller to take my money. I just don't see one on the horizon right now.

I broke lots of crappy knives in the past.

Still have all good ones I bought.
Even 6 months ago I was making a thread about getting a backup for my Recon Tanto since it's getting beat up without mercy ever since I bought it.

Now I saw a good deal on a knife that checked out my needs/wishes so I went for it.

I have 4 knives total now that I bought this one. And I have no more plans to buy. Until something breaks, that is.

Back