Photos wood bite back

acute edge on the HOGB8, something around 17-18 per side

this is from hitting a dead dried tree (that will become firewood in a near future)

i did it it on the side, against the grain

i guess i have some work to do!i will try to bring it back to 20-22 on each side at some point!

damage is about 3 millimetre wide, close to 1-1.5 millimetre deep in the edge on the bad side. the other side is about or less than 0.5. btw is this how INFI break? o_O

58gGjkY.jpg

mpuHDQf.jpg

tE5MI1v.gif

i will try to get better picture later today

Hmmmmm...I'm kinda surprised to see it chip out like that. My BB13 went through FAR worse than hitting against the grain on a dead dried tree, and while it did have some minor chips, even the major damage was more rolled than chipped out. The only place that had a major chip was at the tip. Probably where it hit metal at about 500 miles an hour.

Are you sure there wasn't something imbedded in the tree?

Hmmmmm...I'm kinda surprised to see it chip out like that. My BB13 went through FAR worse than hitting against the grain on a dead dried tree, and while it did have some minor chips, even the major damage was more rolled than chipped out. The only place that had a major chip was at the tip. Probably where it hit metal at about 500 miles an hour.

Are you sure there wasn't something imbedded in the tree?

i also had with me a BB13, 1311 and Eradicator

I did the same test on all of them, around the same spot on the same tree, all of them had no damage.

1311 / Eradicator factory edge, the BB13 if i remember, i put the same edge 17-18 angle

few more pictures, not sure if i can do better than this with what i have

l9v22P5.jpg

tSq3gL3.jpg

XQSDVTq.jpg

c1ZxGCK.jpg

eDxdRRW.jpg

Fj3bCtp.jpg

when i was doing my testing the blade of every knife was bouncing out more than going in the wood, i guess the wood won the fight against the HOGB8 this time around

That's pretty ugly. Maybe one of the Busse crew will weigh in here. I've never had damage like that on any of my abused users.

when i was doing my testing the blade of every knife was bouncing out more than going in the wood, i guess the wood won the fight against the HOGB8 this time around
It would appear so. :eek:
Admittedly, the macro-photos make it look VERY large. But it appears it is less than .... half?... the size/width of the edge bevel.... at most.

No, i didnt send any email. I forgot about that thread that i saw many many many time but still forgot. :oops:

I hope no one will take this thread as a whining one but more like a story because this is what it is, i do stupid stuff and thing happen :) might be my sharpening that went wrong.

that tree is really hard wood for some good fire (i don't remember what kind), there was no bark left on it and it was sitting in a very dry area for more than a year. i had do to some big hit to get knifes to get in it.

(except the 1311, that one is magic, it went right in like butter)

maybe the edge did bite and i twisted my wrist just enough to snap it off and that is the reason, user error most likely

there was a lot of momentum on that hit

wow...great pics...

I'd think 17-18 dps would be plenty to handle such a task :confused:

that's very uncharacteristic to my experience...I've used INFI convexxed to zero on my b8LE in dead hickory <and frozen :eek:> and never suffered deformation as you've shown...let us know what they tell you please, thank you!

i think i will just resharpen the edge later this week and try again next time i go up north, i think the knife want to have a talk with that tree :p

i should have taken a picture of that tree, next time i guess, it's a 5-6 hours road trip

i think i will just resharpen the edge later this week and try again next time i go up north, i think the knife want to have a talk with that tree :p

i should have taken a picture of that tree, next time i guess, it's a 5-6 hours road trip

If the tree can do that to INFI <consistently>, hell you better bring a sample back because we might wanna start making knife blades outta that wood instead of steel! :eek::p

If the tree can do that to INFI <consistently>, hell you better bring a sample back because we might wanna start making knife blades outta that wood instead of steel! :eek::p

no, i will make sure to get that tree ready for Christmas for my woodstove, the heat should be great!

so, switching from 17-18 degree to 20-21 should completely remove that little thing, the stone will be happy to do one more re-profiling

Hell I'm doing opposite - done 20 dps V edge on my NFNO and as it's perfect for food preparation it's no good for wood.
So I (stupid) decided (no very bright decision) to move it to 15dps and than convex it gradually to 20.
The "stupid" thing is that it will take forever! I'm not saying that infi is a bloody vibranium, but heck this thing is tough to bite. But let me say I'm confident that it will be perfect for my use and abuse.

So I'd say yours looks kind of strange - contact busse team, maybe they would like to check it out.

and here's the photo of my blood sweat and tears

View media item 8476

ho boy, looking back to a picture that i took a month ago, the one with all my knifes together, i think I'm seeing it.

what the hell? if it was there before i never noticed it and I might be completely wrong and I have no idea how it got there.

be the judge and I'm sorry if the whole thread is a lie, I'm not sure anymore!

cQ4SFTd.jpg

(picture, original size, just cropped to remove everything else, is that it? i feel bad :confused:)

Last edited:
no permission to see it
strange - it's from my album with permission to view for everyone..

anyway I see that your investigation has entered new path - yes, it looks like it was there before..

Back