Photos wood bite back

strange - it's from my album with permission to view for everyone..

anyway I see that your investigation has entered new path - yes, it looks like it was there before..

maybe i need a paid subscription to see it?

anyway yeah i feel bad if it was there before, where i took the picture doesn't help to see any specific detail but i kind of see it. i think i prefer my original story about a fight between a tree and a edge but reality might be something else, I'm confuse now. :(:confused::oops:

i put the approximate size in my original post

Agreed, I saw that. But without the width of the bevel also posted, while interesting information, doesn't make for comparison like I was looking for in my question.

ho boy, looking back to a picture that i took a month ago, the one with all my knifes together, i think I'm seeing it.

what the hell? if it was there before i never noticed it and I might be completely wrong and I have no idea how it got there.

be the judge and I'm sorry if the whole thread is a lie, I'm not sure anymore!

cQ4SFTd.jpg

(picture, original size, just cropped to remove everything else, is that it? i feel bad :confused:)

So it is entirely possible that you DID hit something quite more substantial than hard dry wood. Good catch, though, looking back and finding out it was there before the "wood" incident.

These knives are made for beating on. They do roll but if you bend the roll back it sometimes "tears" out. Technically not a chip but sure looks like it after. Such is the life of a busse. Living hard and fast

Wonder if it was a roll, originally, and a roll on the edge in the earlier photo that Spirch subsequently re-posted, above. And when he took it to the tree, the angle of impact against the roll actually caused it to then tear out.

In any case, Spirch, I think you have the right idea. Sharpen it out and keep going. If it happens again, from a known source that is only wood, I think you should then contact Busse. But until you at least are certain of the source of the damage, I don't think it can or needs to be addressed.

I'm no metallurgist & I do not speak for Busse in this regard...but, it looks like it deformed slightly and then was torn out, probably caught in the wood...?
There was a guy here years ago that thinned down a...Game Warden IIRC, to a really thin angle, he used it on kiln dried wood & it showed rippling & minor tear-outs along its edge after...
INFI is an odd steel. Scratches easily enough, but the harder you work it, the more it resists edge damage at slightly thicker angles. But if the thinner angle allows the edge to bend, you're likely to lose a bit off the edge. Upside to this steel is the ability to put an edge back on it while in the field, away from sharpening systems & such, with a simple sharpening stone...creek rock, concrete...whatever is handy at the time.

i have a complete DMT 1x4 guided set and 3x8 set, both diamond stone and i started fixing it on he guided set one since that is what i used last time, i didnt have the other one, but after about 10 minutes i did a nope, I don't have the patience to do another manual re-profiling on this knife, don't forget that 17-18 is not a factory edge

so i decided to look online for variable speed electric belt, just found one on a sale, it was something i wanted to get for a while, i got the excuse now to get it. it should be here soon i hope/guess, waiting on tracking number and estimated time.

i will use the stone for maintenance but not for re-profiling, i have done enough multi-hours manual re-profiling. I could have tried with my other set of stone but then i would not have an excuse to get a new toy to play with.

But until you at least are certain of the source of the damage, I don't think it can or needs to be addressed.

i would not have asked to get it addressed unless i was able to reproduce it anyway, for me this was something i did wrong from the start or somewhere in between, when i started re-profiling it to fix the thing i saw something weird with the guided set. the way it was clamped felt wrong, since this knife doesn't have a flat section between the spine and the blade to have a secure clamp, it was "balancing" (i'm not sure if i explain this properly .. English is not my first language, i could include a picture if needed/asked)

all that to say, maybe the clamp moved on each side while i re-profiled it last time and maybe the angle was lower than my expected 17-18 degree per side

I think o get what you’re saying about the clamp. And I realize you weren’t asking to get it fixed. I guess I was saying if it did this Definitely chopping wood, perhaps I would agree with others in that you should contact Busse to see if there is something they want to look at on it. But I perceived at the start you were kinda taking it on yourself that you might have thinned it too much for the task you were putting it to. No worries. Keep on beating it. :D

Damage also happened on my friend’ Hog B8!It doesn't happen to the Battle Saw when chpping the dead dry pine wood.Maybe the steel on HogB8 is M-INFI?

Hmmmmm...I'm kinda surprised to see it chip out like that. My BB13 went through FAR worse than hitting against the grain on a dead dried tree, and while it did have some minor chips, even the major damage was more rolled than chipped out. The only place that had a major chip was at the tip. Probably where it hit metal at about 500 miles an hour.

Are you sure there wasn't something imbedded in the tree?
That's odd.

I've smacked steel with some pretty potent swipes (right in the power spot even) and never had that kind of damage. Was accidental....was getting rid if a vine on a steel rod fence and went through the vine, deflected a little and took a good cut out of the fence rod.

The worst I had was a little rolling

That's odd.

I've smacked steel with some pretty potent swipes (right in the power spot even) and never had that kind of damage. Was accidental....was getting rid if a vine on a steel rod fence and went through the vine, deflected a little and took a good cut out of the fence rod.

The worst I had was a little rolling
Mine was shot out from under the mower deck of a running John Deere lawn tractor.

Back