Wooden Wednesday - Traditionals only please

A WOODEN WEDNESDAY WONDER! I wonder what it is??
I found this 6 1/2 inch wooden handled gravity knife at a small-town mid-west antique store several years ago. As found the blade flopped around because the lock mechanism was missing. I recreated the lock according to my best guess as to what it should look like and how it should work. The shiny steel part is my handiwork; the rest of the steel parts of the knife are blued. The only permanent change I made to knife was to remove the broken pin that had previously held the lock. I installed the part I made with a temporary one as I saw no reason to permanently install the part. The fit and finish of the knife suggests to me that it might be pre-WWII, while the blued parts make me think it was intended for military use. Might it have been a pilot's knife similar the 6 inch two-bladed one that fit into a pocket in a survival vest?
View attachment 1356281
View attachment 1356282 View attachment 1356283 View attachment 1356284
View attachment 1356285
As you might have noticed, I did not permanently install the part I made to make further study easy. After owning this behemoth for several years, listing it on Bernard's forum, hunting the web for similar pieces, and showing it around at a knife sshow, I still virtually nothing about its origins. Thanks for watching! T-A
Very cool and interesting knife. Have you shown it in the Old Knives thread?
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-972

My new knife, this Laguiole by Gilles from Fontenille Pataud - France, in walnut and lock-back.

Great minds think alike (almost, mine is ebony):
yfK8QCc.jpg

Looks great. I just ordered one of these yesterday! How do you like yours? How’s the lockup?
I have two of these from the latest production. Neither has a perfectly centered blade. Neither has blade rub, so no big deal to me. The Osage Orange one has a tiny bit of horizontal blade play when open. No vertical play at all. The Ironwood locks up tight with no play in any direction. Both have good snap, although the Osage one has a stronger snap. I'm not sure how much snap matters on a lock back as long as it locks up tight, so fwiw.
I like them, but I'm partial to Canal Street knives and the pinch lock back is one of my favorites. I have a total of 6 - 3 labeled Moore Maker and 3 labeled CSC. Three have a tiny bit of horizontal play and three have none.
Interestingly, the tang stamp on the Ironwood says Canal Street Cutlery. The Osage has the Moore Maker tang stamp. Also, the Ironwood is polished on both sides with no etch and the Osage is polished on the shield side with an etch on the pile side.
PinchTangStamp.JPG
bladeetch.JPG

Last edited:
Back