Wooden Wednesday - Traditionals only please

Been carrying this one for two weeks and just noticed today is Wednesday.....
LW9EEkp.jpg

Dwight Divine & Sons Pruner... with cocobolo or rosewood; old cocobolo is usually black by now so leaning toward rosewood.

View attachment 1474750 View attachment 1474751

Tremendous looking knife :cool:

Agéd but not some sorry wreck. I'm not sure about the behaviour of Coco, true some of the recent stuff does blacken very quickly- had a White Owl in it that was indistinguishable from Ebony. But is this the same on old knives? Due to its scarcity and price what is now sold as Coco could be something else and it is I believe, part of the Rosewood family together with King & Tulip Woods and Blackwood.

Tremendous looking knife :cool:

Agéd but not some sorry wreck. I'm not sure about the behaviour of Coco, true some of the recent stuff does blacken very quickly- had a White Owl in it that was indistinguishable from Ebony. But is this the same on old knives? Due to its scarcity and price what is now sold as Coco could be something else and it is I believe, part of the Rosewood family together with King & Tulip Woods and Blackwood.
Thanks Will :thumbsup: Most of my vintage cocobolo knives are pretty dark, I will take some better pics of that one and post in the pruner thread. Although it qualifies for Thrifty Thursday too :D

That's a mesmerizing photo of your Okapi, Tom! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
(I'm not as thrilled by the snow pic. :()
Is your Okapi re-covered, or is that the original "resin-impregnated wood"? Almost looks like walnut!

- GT
The Okapi started out with a black plastic handle. I did one of my re-builds on it, except this time, instead of making the new handle out of a single piece of wood, I made brass liners and covered it in Black Locust I scavenged from some land that was being cleared. Osage orange would have been nicer, but since it has been many years since I worked outdoors around old hedgerows, I haven’t stumbled on any recently.

The Okapi started out with a black plastic handle. I did one of my re-builds on it, except this time, instead of making the new handle out of a single piece of wood, I made brass liners and covered it in Black Locust I scavenged from some land that was being cleared. Osage orange would have been nicer, but since it has been many years since I worked outdoors around old hedgerows, I haven’t stumbled on any recently.
Here are some more pieces of Black Locust, next to a piece of Black Walnut (also scrounged from a job-site) for reference. They have darkened a little since I cut them a while ago, but you can still see the yellowish color. Black Locust is a very tough wood. According to my dad, it was widely used to make trennels for wooden shipbuilding, and people apparently could make extra cash by carving them and selling them to shipyards.

Here are some more pieces of Black Locust, next to a piece of Black Walnut (also scrounged from a job-site) for reference. They have darkened a little since I cut them a while ago, but you can still see the yellowish color. Black Locust is a very tough wood. According to my dad, it was widely used to make trennels for wooden shipbuilding, and people apparently could make extra cash by carving them and selling them to shipyards.
Thanks for the interesting background info on the Okapi you posted today, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Back