WooHoo! My 2019 Kitchen Kith knife arrived.

how did everyone like the blanks? the blades do look nice

Gene’s knife has some nice features, like the heel treatment. There are no rough edges or sharp spots of affect the user’s hand. The tip is very fine for detail work. The handle is comfortable, but just a bit big for me, while my wife loves it. The Kith Mark is a nice touch.

Blanks were very nice, JT, nice enough that I ordered the #1 and a sabatier just to try them out after the kith was over.
Really considering using your ht service for everything now to save me time.

Wahoo! Thanks weo weo .
I absolutely love the spalted Burl. It’s comfortable in the hand and razor sharp (however my wife finds the handle a little thick). The spine is nicely rounded and it’s only sharp where it needs to be. BillyO did a great job on the blade finish, no visible scratches and I really like the forced patina. Another feature I like is there is space for a pinch grip between the handle and start of the blade.

This was an awesome experience for me and I can’t wait to do the next one!

Attachments

• AF3310CA-EE61-4F1A-9F53-0F38309FF49E.jpeg
    AF3310CA-EE61-4F1A-9F53-0F38309FF49E.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 63
  • FC29F50F-BAA0-4A9D-AA8E-2BE7E8422DB6.jpeg
    FC29F50F-BAA0-4A9D-AA8E-2BE7E8422DB6.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 61
  • C3D78CBA-F477-4873-8259-ED235772EECC.jpeg
    C3D78CBA-F477-4873-8259-ED235772EECC.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 58
Wahoo! Thanks weo weo .
I absolutely love the spalted Burl. It’s comfortable in the hand and razor sharp (however my wife finds the handle a little thick). The spine is nicely rounded and it’s only sharp where it needs to be. BillyO did a great job on the blade finish, no visible scratches and I really like the forced patina. Another feature I like is there is space for a pinch grip between the handle and start of the blade.

This was an awesome experience for me and I can’t wait to do the next one!

is that a San Mai blade?

Wahoo! Thanks weo weo .
You're most welcome Kim! Wow, that was quick shipping across the border.

Glad you like it, and thanks for the initial review. hopefully you'll use it hard and let me know how it works after a bit of use.

is that a San Mai blade?
It was supposed to be, it's either O1/15N20 or 1095/15N20 (I can't remember which)....I didn't get the nice even patterning on both sides that I see on Harbeer's blades. This was only my 3rd or 4th san mai attempt, and it looks like I need to do a better job forging each side evenly.

Last edited:
You're most welcome Kim! Wow, that was quick shipping across the border.

Glad you like it, and thanks for the initial review. hopefully you'll use it hard and let me know how it works after a bit of use.

It was supposed to be, it's either O1/15N20 or 1095/15N20 (I can't remember which)....I didn't get the nice even patterning on both sides that I see on Harbeer's blades. This was only my 3rd or 4th san mai attempt, and it looks like I need to do a better job forging each side evenly.

I’ve only done maybe 10 san Mai blades, and getting the Center to cladding ratio is the challenge, isn’t it?

WooHoo!!!! Got home to a package last night! Thanks Warren!
I'll hopefully get some good pics and post my thoughts later today. Suffice it too say for now (and perhaps useful as a teaser), the first impressions of blade and saya was "Beautiful", and "now that's a good looking package." I really like the black pins and black bolster.

I'll admit, I am a bit intimidated, however, as this is by far the longest kitchen knife I've ever had. I have an un-explainable urge to butcher a chicken....

WooHoo!!!! Got home to a package last night! Thanks Warren!
I'll hopefully get some good pics and post my thoughts later today. Suffice it too say for now (and perhaps useful as a teaser), the first impressions of blade and saya was "Beautiful", and "now that's a good looking package." I really like the black pins and black bolster.

I'll admit, I am a bit intimidated, however, as this is by far the longest kitchen knife I've ever had. I have an un-explainable urge to butcher a chicken....

don’t worry about criticizing this knife. There are a lot of small problems esthetically. It should cut well though......

Back