Wool Winter Coats?

Josh K

Platinum Member
5215901o1.jpg

Something like this, but more like a great coat (best description I could find). I'm looking for advice or recommendations on a wool winter coat. Should be able to handle weather from October to April (snow, sleet, rain, general bad weather) without issues.

I have been using other coats (typically Columbia multi-part systems) and am generally dissatisfied with the quality of the garment. The things practically fall apart after a year, and I'm not climbing mountains.

Filson makes several one of the best being the double mackinaw cruiser.

Woolrich also has a couple and check out Cabelas and LL Bean as well.

Filson is spendy but the quality is exceptional.

After you get the coat relanolize it. You can get lanolin retreatment form lamajama.com.

That will make it shed water better.

Wool is an awesome choice, though I personally haven't found the need or money to justify dropping 3-400 dollars on a wool coat. I have an amazing drover's jacket made from oilskin canvas, which is waterproof and breathable, and EXTREMELY durable. Mine is made by Kakadu out of Australia. It is similar in design to those greatcoats with an inner and outer series of buttons. It also has a rain cover for the shoulders and two real nice large cargo pockets. I layer it with a wool sweater-breathable allaround to prevent sweating, yet waterproof and very warm.

I'd look at the Filson Mackinaw Cruiser and Dale of Norway's Hejevollen and other hooded jackets.

Another strong vote for Filson. I have a double-Mac and it is unbelievable in quality and quite warm. Buy once, cry once. Quality that will last for GENERATIONS. www.filson.com check it out!

Not to take anything away from Filson, because I own Filson products, too, BUT, do yourself a favor and check out Bemidji Mills. Great quality woolen products, and you won't be paying for the name.

http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/

Here's another Filson vote. I want a double Mac (one of these days - heh). Currently have one of their vests and it goes hunting with me just about all the time. Love it!

Another strong vote for Filson. I have a double-Mac and it is unbelievable in quality and quite warm. Buy once, cry once. Quality that will last for GENERATIONS. www.filson.com check it out!

Do you think it's too warm? I can choose between the single and double, but want it to be comfortable not blazing hot.

I guess I can always open it up if it's too warm. Like there is a thing as too warm a coat. What am I thinking? :rolleyes:

Josh, get the double. It seriously is an impressive coat. I'm bummed that I have daughters... going to have to hope I get a large sized grandson to pass mine down to. It WILL last that long, and longer. In fact, I can't wait for winter... I hope it's cold, snowy and LONG! :D

Heavy Filson coats are death in the NYC area. You need a coat you can seal up against the cold, but not one you're going to start sweating as soon as you do. Downstate New York is just not that cold.

Layer. Find a decent overcoat and put a sweater on under it. The weather can shift significantly in the course of a day. You need more protection from cold rain in its season.

Heavy Filson coats are death in the NYC area. You need a coat you can seal up against the cold, but not one you're going to start sweating as soon as you do. Downstate New York is just not that cold.

Layer. Find a decent overcoat and put a sweater on under it. The weather can shift significantly in the course of a day. You need more protection from cold rain in its season.

I'm also out on LI, not sure how cold it gets but I'm told it gets rather frigid. Plus I then am making my trips back to MI where looking outside will get you frostbit on a good day. :eek:

I've got an Aussie Bluey Jacket made in Australia by Norwellan. Its the kind of jacket that gets Issued to workers. Mine has a zip and a single breast pocket marked BLUEY , the label has the miner with lantern & pick.
Also I have one of those Black/red checked lumberjack type wool shirts made by Egmont New Zealand label says wanganui woolen mills.
These are some pretty warm garments.

I just wear a surplus peacoat, with layers underneath as needed. Economical, effective, maybe not stylish... ;)

Check ebay. Usually some good deals on wool coats by Woolrich and Pendleton. Filson not so much. I have the double Mackinaw. Excellent unless the wind in blowing. Which is 6 days of 7 here in Wyoming. My go to coat for serious winter weather is a Carhartt Arctic with matching hood.

I just wear a surplus peacoat, with layers underneath as needed. Economical, effective, maybe not stylish... ;)

Best wool coat I ever had was a pea coat. Some manufacturers are upscaling them now, sometimes combining the melton wool with nylon or other manmade fibers.

Another wool coat I tried on and liked was at the Orvis store. Nice coat, but $495? :eek:

Woolrich worth a look, IMHO. Borrowed a heirloom hunting coat for my first deer hunting trip from a partner- was his deceased FIL..great coat. Black and red checkered..don't believe International Orange had been invented at that time..comfortable and warm in the Upper Peninsula.

I have a Filson Double Mackinaw and it's simply awesome. It's warm, durable, functional and looks great.

I'm a huge fan of wool. I would also recommend Woolrich. I own one of the Classic Wool Field Coats. Outstanding product. Heavy duty, quality garment. I got it used on ebay for $50 or $60 5 or 6 years ago. To be honest, it's usually too warm for me, though I live in the mountains of California which are usually quite a bit warmer than NY.

Recently picked up a Columbia Cedar Ridge Jacket from Sierra Trading Post.
erez

I am quite happy with this jacket. Wool and Camo:thumbup: It's quite a bit lighter than my Woolrich and so far seems to be a quality garment, as well.

Filson is probably the best for wool, though I never owned one. When I lived back East I wore a Barbour Bedale and loved it. I didn't have a liner and just wore a wool sweater with it in colder weather.

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.view&ProductID=17111&PCategoryID=23&RangeID=1

Win

I like Filson very much, having had a single ply cruiser coat, tin cloth pants and vest and a bunch of other items. I bought a double ply coat and sent it back as way too heavy for me, but that is a matter of taste, then got the single in a black-gray plaid.

I also have Barbours and particularly favor the Beaufort model, which I bought in London and wore for years all over the world, including hunting in Zambia. Bitter cold in the back of the truck at night. The saleswoman gave me very good advice, though, to be sure to get one TWO sizes larger than your normal, as you must have freedom to wear several layers beneath and to have freedom of movement for mounting a gun. Waxed cotton does not stretch at all, not do most of these wool coats.

My latest wool outer coat is a Gloverall, a duffle coat, also from England. You can find them on eBay and several places on the Internet. Mine is navy, so not for hunting, and has only two pockets and antler fasteners, but looks and wears great. Again, oversize is the way to go.

Norm

Back