Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainly I want to support the people here in USA at Post Falls Idaho. We need these people and Buck to help build the economy and build great knives. I don’t know all the reasons why they started importing but there must have been a reason. I’m just glad they are still making top quality knives here in USA. and from what I hear they’re planning to do even more. That’s great news!

I kinda want a Chinese made Buck just to have one in the collection. Guess I’ll have to start looking for one on the Bay.
With everything being planned to come back to the USA, the China made ones could end up collectible!
Although a little “tongue in cheek” a little truth to it I think.
I personally have only bought USA Bucks and can’t wait for them to bring everything back, even buying the imported ones does support Buck USA, just haven’t acquired one myself at this point.

With everything being planned to come back to the USA, the China made ones could end up collectible!
Although a little “tongue in cheek” a little truth to it I think.
I personally have only bought USA Bucks and can’t wait for them to bring everything back, even buying the imported ones does support Buck USA, just haven’t acquired one myself at this point.

Hard to see a pseudo-market developing for the China made Bucks.Now maybe a little buzz for the Selkirk Series considering they look more in tune with Buck Knives on say E-Bay.Pawns shops ?...I dunno.Here in North Carolina several times when I go in to get ammo I often see someone bringing in knives...the clerks slide the China knives to the side.Taiwan made though there seems to be some flexibility.

I’ll probably just grab up a Importated slip joint at some point when I see one for cheap. Not for any hopes they will go up in value but just to have one.

This is the first I have heard of Buck bringing all knife production back to Idaho.

I am happy to hear that.

Yeah but I've heard this sales pitch before by Buck....

What happened in that decade that changed their minds frankly and reach to China for way cheaper labor and lower QC.

Last edited:

What happened in that decade that changed their minds frankly and reach to China for way cheaper labor and lower QC.
Wtf? Think the best not the worst.

Everyone use the search function and look for Frotier76. What's the bad taste in your mouth about Buck knives?

You folks need to stop fussing at each other and just talk about the knives.
My bad on part of this. We had to deal with Michael5135 and Vorpal rain far too long before it was dealt with I guess my patience for bs is too thin. I'll reel it in,. :thumbsup:

You folks need to stop fussing at each other and just talk about the knives.

Same here.I've finished sharing my views on this thread on what I've considered pseudo idolatry of brand name allegiance regardless of what country it's cranked out of.

Coming in late on this post but it's a more complicated question than it might seem.
First, there is the made in USA issue. I have purchased plenty of poorly made items that were US made. That said, I still would rather my money go to a US entrepreneur than a Chinese one.
I remember when Toyota totally overtook the US market long ago. At the time I felt that the reason that occurred was because US quality had slipped ddramatically and Consumer Reports was giving rave reviews to the Japanese makers. Competition is a healthy thing and the outcome was better made, less expensive US cars.
Second the issue of brand perception. Buck is such a hard-core American brand. To suddenly sell out and have knives made in China was a total turn-off to the tens of thousands of Buck owners. It tarnished their image and probably hurt sales.
This was another board room mistake that should never have happened.
A very high end housewares company located in Italy suddenly began manufacturing some of their items in China. they failed to clearly indicate this to their customers and it was difficult to determine what was made wherre. As soon as this came to light, there were lawsuits and suddenly their housewares were selling for pennies on the dollar. The quality of the items was excellent but buyers felt they had been taken advantage of. $300 pans were selling for $12. It was catastrophic but it illustrates what happens when a company goes rogue for profit.

I can understand why people choose to avoid offshore products but the reality is... look around your house. How much of it comes from China? More than you know or care to admit possibly.

I purchased the large and small Selkirks. The small version had the dullest edge of any knife that I ever bought but it sharpened well. I do love the handles on these and they fit my hand very well. I wish that I could find another Buck that felt like this. The Vanguard is close though.

They were half the price of every other Buck fixed-blade that I could find up here but they're holding up nicely. I keep the small in our camp kitchen and the large stays in the trunk with my emergency kit.

There are other non-USA models out there but they don't float my boat, so to speak.

I’ve come around to Chinese knives and the great quality versus price they offer. I own quite a few. However Buck to me screams American Made. So no imported Buck knives for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back