• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Would you buy a knife under those terms?

I know on our street, a walking route, in bad weather the carrier would scan everything while still in the truck, then walk the route. I don't know if USPS has GPS coordinate tracking but it would not be of any use on those days in finding a mis-delivered package

And it's not like he put it just inside the door...he put it on the steps to the door into the house, so had to go deep into the garage.

:eek:

On a sidenote...what do you have in the garage you don’t want anyone to know about? :p:D Lol

:eek:

On a sidenote...what do you have in the garage you don’t want anyone to know about? :p:D Lol

Umm...err...I ain't hiding nuttin!

Better yet..... have you taken inventory lately? What’s missing?? :D

First thing that went through my mind. But got stuff everywhere, so probably wouldn't even notice right away.:oops:

Here's the thing; my recent experience in the last couple years has been that the USPS flat rate boxes are very reliable. Very. They come with some insurance, (I believe), tracking, and a specific delivery date. So, once USPS has it, it's reliable. ANY other USPS method, forget it, they just don't give a shit. Plus, like others have said, that dude would find out who's really responsible if anything went wrong anyway.

I was perusing the for sale by individuals forum as I'm sure most of us do. I noted a particular knife where the seller stated that their terms of sale were that once they had dropped the knife off at the post office it was the buyer's problem. . . . That said, would you buy a knife under those terms? . . . What say you?

Nope. I'd pass. While I can certainly appreciate the up-front nature of such terms, I wouldn't do a US deal where the seller tries to abdicate any and all responsibility regardless of PP's buyer protection guarantees. As a general rule, I won't do any PP F&F transactions for exactly the same reason. Probably fine most of the time (especially when buyer or seller has an established rep on BF) but it only takes one nefarious tool to remind sellers and buyers of how things can still go bad. Ya trust, do yer best to verify and takes yer chances, regardless. Any "I'm done when I drop it off" language on the part of the seller is suspect from the get-go. I don't need whatever they're selling and they probably don't need me to buy same.

Acknowledging that I am a little to the party on this one but I think its fine for foreign transactions. If locally the buyer decides that they're in the free knife via filing a PP claim business then I can pursue them in court (and I absolutely will). However, the same cannot be said internationally. So, for international transactions, I always have: " For international sales, please contact me first. Any international sales are done fully at the buyers risk."

That means, you select your level of insurance, you pay with PP gift, and once it leaves the country its your knife.

OP, I'm pretty sure I know who the seller is that you're talking about, but I won't say any names. I think what's important in this case is to make sure you know who you're dealing with. Vet them by checking out their feedback score and what people have to say about their experience buying from them. Make sure to ask the seller as many questions as possible. Ask about how they package the knife and see if they're willing to work with you and add signature confirmation or whatever you need to make the transaction more comfortable for you that both parties can agree on. And if you're still wary or are not interested regardless, then move on. Use your best judgement.

Most packages aren't lost, they're stolen. When I was driving big trucks I had to guard against our own people stealing freight out of my trailer every day. The first thing I did when I got to work was to look at the BOL to see if I had laptops and other small expensive items in my load. So I would lock them in the cab of my truck to make sure our own people wouldn't steal them because the video surveillance was better outside than it was inside. And I had to watch the guys like a hawk at every stop I made on the way to the final destination.

Back