Would you buy a new Benchmade with 154cm?

I like 154CM...and CPM154.
Personally, I prefer it over s30v - but that's me; and my usual knife tasks are pretty basic.
That said, I sometimes feel "let down" when a knife I want is only 154CM. It's usually a price related sentiment, ala if it costs that much, it should have a better steel, rather than an idea that 154cm won't meet my needs (because I know it does for most applications).

I think at this point it should just be retired in favor of CPM154 myself, which has similar characteristics only better because of the PM process carbide distribution.

Oh yeah without a blink. They got a nice heat treat on 154 and it sharpens to hair popping level without hassle, and edge durability is pretty awesome.
I don't have as much good things to say about S30V... more expensive, more hype, harder and a PITA to sharpen.

Yes, the new base steel will be S30V. To answer your first question: yes — I like 154CM and wouldn’t hesitate to buy a blade if I liked the design.

Depends on the price point. But, it is just hard to justify compared to so many other great steels. I've never had any trouble sharpening steels like s30v, s35vn, elmax, m390 etc.
I like 154CM (and CPM154). Not so much S30V and the other This Week's Greatest Ever Steels.
S30V was developed 18 years ago and s35vn a decade ago. I hardly think that qualifies as "this week's greatest steel".

I’m in the CPM 154 camp. I wouldn’t hesitate to get one in 154CM, either. I really wish Benchmade would have went that route instead of S30V. It’d still be an upgrade over 154CM, but retain the all the good properties of the steel without any bad.. like S30V. Sure it is an upgrade in a sense, but it loses the toughness and sharpenability that 154 possessed. Personally, I do see it as a downgrade. I’d take 154 over S30V nine out of ten times.

Would you buy a new Benchmade with 154cm?
Heck yes.
I was looking at my various EDCs trying to decide which to try my new Gritomatic Ruby 60 stone on (reprofile or fix damage).
Many were needing some attention but the one that was surprisingly sharp and Ready-To-Go was my Mini Grip in 154.
Good stuff !

154cm or better cpm154 I would take any day over s30v.

S35vn I would be happy with too.

Even if I am getting an expensive knife 154cm is never an issue for me because it is just such a well balanced good steel.

154cm or better cpm154 I would take any day over s30v.

S35vn I would be happy with too.

Even if I am getting an expensive knife 154cm is never an issue for me because it is just such a well balanced good steel.
I would prefer just about any PM steel over non-PM, myself. I do like S30V just fine.

I still like s30v, I just like 154cm better. Actually the whole S30v-s110v is not my favourite family except s35vn which I love.

I'm with you. S30v is ok and I like s35vn but s90 and 110? Nope!

154cm is one of my favorites.

I'm with you. S30v is ok and I like s35vn but s90 and 110? Nope!

154cm is one of my favorites.

I feel like s90 and s110v benefits people the most who don’t know how or don’t have time to sharpen their knives,

Send the knife off to be sharpened, and now want it to cut reasonably well with a working edge for a long time.

Or maybe knives you wouldn’t dream of chipping.

I feel like s90 and s110v benefits people the most who don’t know how or don’t have time to sharpen their knives,

Send the knife off to be sharpened, and now want it to cut reasonably well with a working edge for a long time.

Or maybe knives you wouldn’t dream of chipping.

Cypress Cypress had a s110v para 2 that I picked his brain over and knew that it wasn't for me. I don't mind sharpening my knives but I don't want it to take forever. S110v is not a "user" steel to me.

Back