Would you stake your life on a Mora?

I don’t know if many on this forum think about this but when ever I head out into the woods, besides making firesticks, building shelter, or food prep I always think of my knife as backup defense against all of the mangy creatures that would seek to do me or my wife and children harm…whether 2 or 4 legged. I have decided to get a Mora (meaning the plastic handled variety…Craftsman, Clipper, etc.) because of all of the opinions on this forum but I was a little concerned if this thin bladed knife would be of any value in this defensive capacity. Now I know that any sharp pointy object can serve in a defensive role but this doesn’t mean that you would stake your life on it. I am worried that if faced with a mountain lion attack or any other threat that the Mora blade would break too easily and thus be worthless. I am just looking for honest outdoorsy type opinions of the Mora in this backup role not advice on tactical knives to carry in the woods. I have plenty of knives that would serve that purpose, ie Crewman, AFSK, Recon Tanto, etc. but I am really interested in what you all think about something like the Clipper or Craftsman.

Just my .02 but I see the Mora in a cutting/slicing role-- not for potential abuse. For dealing with animals, I would prefer a good hiking stick and some practice handling it. Airhorns like used at sporting events will often startle an animal bent on attacking.
Bill

If you want something for self-defense in the woods go with a pistol. Hand to hand combat with a knife could b real trouble if their is more then 1.

as with imalterna.first thing that came to my mind is to whittle a sharp sturty pole with it.

For self defense in the woods, a knife would be one of my last options. Using your example of the mountain lion, I would much rather keep it at distance defending myself with a long walking stick, bear spray, or something else effective at range. To rely on the knife to defend yourself means you would also let the mountain lion in striking range. Same thing for the 2 legged attackers. Unless you have some sort of training using a knife, it can become more a liability than anything. Like OliverQueen said, a pistol would be your best bet.

It's a razorsharp knife with a 4" blade. Simplely put, it will do if you will do.
The Finns used/use the Puukko for everything, this includes killing attackers.

I alway have a walking stick with me among other things. Current one is super hard hickory. It's more of a "what if" question. The closest thing to these Moras that I have now is a Helle Odel. The blades just sound so thin on the Moras. I'm sure they would be super sharp slicers. I just wonder about how easy they would break. It's just hard to have the same confidence in this role as say my AFSK.

Scandanavians also often tend to have an axe handy when out in the woods or they'll have a leuku style puukko knife with a 7" to 9" blade. Myself, If I need a blade to defend myself I'll take an axe or a khukuri (kukri).

A knife at my side is an excellent tool for backup/defence. I live in a country with gun control laws that are extreme. A knife becomes a primary backup tool. Besides the two and four footed creatures that can be fended off with a knife either in your hand, or used to create other weapons such as spears made of sharpened wood, or your blade lashed onto the end of a stick to be used as a lance, there are other senerios that take place in the wilderness.

Going through the ice is one of those unexpected situations. 20 years ago I went through the ice on the beaver pond out back away from any kind of help. With my knife I was able to pick at the ice and pull myself out of the watery grave. When I broke through, water washed up onto the ice making it too slippery to get a grip to pull myself out. But by thrusting the blade into the ice I made a firm hold to get myself out. It worked extremely well, and I would not go through the bother of having to carry those ice picks with me that are used for this purpose. knives work well.

The SWAK and the Clipper have the thinner blades. I just picked up a Triflex Craftsman and it has a thicker blade in the same profile as the SWAK.

As a weapon, good night the thing is so sharp out of the box it would do some serious damage. I have a nicked finger to prove it! About the only thing I wouldn't do with a Mora is pry open car doors.

The Mora is a sharp cutter and a pointy sticker. Mammals are not turtles, its not like you have to saw through the hard exterior to get to the juicy stuff. The terms death and dismemberment come to mind. Mac

Consider this : Albeit not optimal for some tasks, a mora is way tougher and cuts way better than your teeth and nails...

Survival is not always about having the best tools... it's more realistically about making the most of whatever you have. If you're used to carrying your skills in your backpack, you're screwed anyways. First thing is not to HAVE. First thing is to know, and to master.

So first thing to do for you is to go out and get some serious knife fighting lessons... then if the instructor is any good, after 1 lesson and a half you will start to see your mora a very different way. Right now I carry a 3 cm blade around my neck, and I've successfully built shelter, dressed a deer and split kindling with it... food for thought ;)

David

My point is to create distance if possible. Deter the attack via the airhorn or maintain space with the hiking stick- jabbing keeps your defense up while you offend. Once you close with an animal, it has multiple weapons to use at the same time(teeth and claws). If you close with a human, yoou risk superior strength, training or just bad luck if you stumble or land on a rock when you go down.
I hold to the axiom "The winner in a knife fight is the one that is still bleeding" I work on my knife skills but pray I never need them. The hiking stick is in your hand at all times and some animals will give no warning before they attack.
If people are a concern, tossing the airhorn to a family member draws the attention of anyone near while you hold an aggressor at bay & the hiking stick is in your hand when you are nodding to people you meet on the trail-- their element of surprise(if they act up) is negated by the fact you are already armed. These items would not cause you problems with LE whereas a large knife worn openly might-- NOT that I would let that concern cause me to go unarmed!!
Bill

If you get a mountain lion attack, you probably won't see it coming, and you're his lunch. As far as two legged predators, a Mora's about as good as anything, they are pointy and razor sharp. A lot of people on BF want to use a folder for self-defense, and many of those seem to me to be a lot less sturdy than a Mora.

A Mora is what it is, and there are a lot of bigger stronger thicker blades available.

I think you should know you're territory and what kind of attackers might be there before you go in, and plan accordingly.

If I was expecting a possible attack, I would take a 1911.

Just my .02 but I see the Mora in a cutting/slicing role-- not for potential abuse. For dealing with animals, I would prefer a good hiking stick and some practice handling it. Airhorns like used at sporting events will often startle an animal bent on attacking.
Bill

This site has a story about a guy beating one up pretty badly, and the knife seemed to perform surprisingly well.

http://www.mountainzone.com/gear/blogs/gear_junkie/2005/10/fabled-mora-knife.html

I see the "self-defense" in the wild greatly overrated. A venomous snake might get me knife or no knife. If a cougar wants to get me, he will like me get me no matter how I am armed, same with a bear. I think in the wild avoidance is the name of the game. I prefer not to blunder into a bear than having to defend myself against one: An ounce of prevention...... I don't think that we humans have all that many natural enemies in the wild. Bear attacks usually occure because the bear feels provoked not because we are their favorite food source. I don't know about a mountain lion, but I have the feeling the he, too, would generally prefer smaller prey. And packs of wolfs...rarely heard of an incidence with them.

In general I am inclined to think that I am in much less need of a SD weapon in the woods that in the urban jungle. Just my $0.02.

having spent some time with aboriginal people, i think that they would be tickled pink to have a mora, they use a lot worse knives and depend on them every day. know the limitations of your equipment and use it accordingly.

alex

If you are looking for back SD, then I would go with a full tang wooden handled Mora, rather than the clipper/plastic handled models. I like the SS plastic handled models for kitchen duty, they are very good there.

Having said all that, I would rather rely on something more substatntial than a Mora, whether it was a wilderness situation or a SD situation. YMMV.

I have found a knife type and pattern that works for me. I found it many years ago, and while I have tried a lot of newer designs and materials, I keep going back to my old standby. I prefer a heavier, thicker spined blade. I prefer a trailing point pattern appx. 5 1/2". In all the years I've used this pattern, it has never let me down, and is as good as new in spite of many years of use. I butchered twelve deer with it this winter alone. Why would I want to change now? But then I am just an old...

Codger

Back