Would you stake your life on a Mora?

Les Stroad uses nothing but a Leatherman, but he always seems to make it out in the end.

They just had three Survivorman episodes in a row and on one trip he cut his finger a good one with the Leatherman while cutting a vine and watching monkeys overhead at the same time. Wouldn't have happened with a mora, nope nope nope ;)

Oh boy, I should have known better. I turned this discussion into one about Survivorman. Sorry, its not what I was trying to do.

I was hiking around a remote lake with my 12 year old twin boys. I saw coyote tracks and scat. I was a little concerned. You never know if they have rabies. I was glad to have a Cold Steel SRK with me. I felt I could do something, if needed. I also had a walking stick. I wished I had my Glock 27, but that was in the car.

Just one of those times where you think you might be in trouble if things turn bad. We never saw a coyote and had a good time. A few months before this there was a young boy dragged off by a mountain lion at Bartlett lake.

The simple answer is NO! If you want to play bushcraft in the woods, a Mora is just fine. If you end up in a survival situation, you better have a quality, large, full tang survival knife, preferably with a handguard. I've never understood the fascination with Mora knives. I'm sure they're great for making wooden tools and carving. Who is going to do that in a survival situation? If I was in a survival situation, I'd prefer to have my Ontario SP10 Marine Raider Bowie at my side, along with a quality multi tool.

The wild animal thing aside, a Mora as your one and only cutting tool in a real survival situation may be a problem. I have broken them splitting wood and prying out splits. Sure, you can call that abuse but in a survival situation abuse may be required. A Mora is great for cleaning game, carving wood and shaving tinder. Not so good for the tough stuff. I carry a Mora in the pack for utility but have something a bit heavier handy as well; SRK, KaBar, Becker. belt axe, etc.
Well stated, and on point.

The whole purpose of testing something to failure is to find it's boundaries. I would rather do that in my back yard, and then be confident of the knife out in the woods. Some knives, $$$, I won't buy 2 just to test and destroy one. When moras are only $9, then I will. That way, I'll know what its limits are in the wild. I've had a few break unexpectedly on me with only mild stress (batoning with wood), had edges chip out dramatically with mild cutting tasks (fuzz sticks), and had others perform with no failures. I'm not trying to treat them like a Busse, just test them with tasks that I know I'll be performing in the woods. If you don't baton wood in the wild, fine, but I do, and will carry a knife that can handle that task.

The performance/quality has varied enough for me that I'll leave my moras at home. For light cutting, I have folders (including SAK's) that handle that, and for larger chopping, I have durable fixed blades. My smaller blades cut much better due to better steels and geometry, and the larger chop better for the same reasons. The mora for me just doesn't take care of any of my needs as well as other blades do. It's like an answer in search of a question. Now in the yard or garden, I love them, but that's a different story.

For those who like them and trust them, enjoy! There's room for everyone here.
Agreed - 100%

The simple answer is NO! If you want to play bushcraft in the woods, a Mora is just fine. If you end up in a survival situation, you better have a quality, large, full tang survival knife, preferably with a handguard. I've never understood the fascination with Mora knives. I'm sure they're great for making wooden tools and carving. Who is going to do that in a survival situation? If I was in a survival situation, I'd prefer to have my Ontario SP10 Marine Raider Bowie at my side, along with a quality multi tool.
My bushcraft black has been through the wringer and bent, pryed, beaten again and again for years.

The bushcraft black is an amazing knife and the plastic sheath is also excellent. It will not break or fail you.

It's tough to baton wood with a 4.3" blade. That said, that's the first Morakaniv I've seen that actually looks decent, as it has a small guard to keep your hand from slipping onto the blade. Is it full tang - NO (a Cold Steel SRK is full tang). Is it as long as a CS SRK - NO. Does it have a better sheath than a Cold Steel SRK - (NO)^2. Is it more expensive than a Cold Steel SRK in SK5 (1085 carbon steel) -YES, by $15 to $20! I really try to be respectful of the Morakaniv fans. I understand they love bushcrafting, and I don't. I'm not even a fan of the Cold Steel SRK in SK5. Perhaps 6 years ago, CS decided to switch the SRK to a hollow grind, which made the tip weak sauce. However, that hollow grind might work better for bushcrafting, as opposed to survival. BTW, Cold Steel sells the Outdoorsman Lite, which is their take on Morakaniv's stainless blades. It has a 6" 4116 Krupp stainless steel blade that's 3_mm thick, a Scandinavian grind, a Morakaniv style sheath, a full tang that sticks out the back of the handle, jimping on the blade spine, a very grippy handle, and a hard rubber handguard, all for $20. If I was going to bushcraft, why would I buy a Morakaniv over that knife? If I want a short, thin blade, I'll just use my Leatherman Wave.

We have descriptions of Bushcraft Knives, but other than Military Survival knives what is the definition of "The Survival Knife" ?

Back