XL Voyager broke around the pivot

Hi guys, this happened to my trusty XL tanto Voyager while I was chopping some small branches of wood. I admit that this folder has seen a lot of chopping duties, as it has been my go-to folder whenever I go mountainbiking. I mainly used it to clear branches that block rarely used forest trails. Never did any batoning with it. My question is this, in your opinion, could I make a warranty claim or did I just abuse the hell out of it and got what I deserved :D

nOnguSz.jpg

Call them, be honest about how it happened and what you've done with the knife. Worst they can say is no.

Chopping branches is definitely not what it was designed to do, but by all means call customer service and be completely honest about your use. They will want to see the knife, of course, to see why and how it failed, but if you are honest and polite with them, more than likely they will replace the knife. Disclaimer: I am in no way a spokesman for Cold Steel, but I have interacted with their customer service before and know the integrity of the company. Call; do not email.

That doesn't look good. For reference what was the motion/strike that caused the break?

That's definitely not something I would want to happen to a hard use folder doing a task that should be relatively easy for it.

That doesn't look good. For reference what was the motion/strike that caused the break?

Chopping downwards, at an angle to inch thick branch of dry wood. The branch was just this sharp, pointy stub maybe 5 inches long. Nasty looking thing which would easily do severe damage if any of mountainbikers using the trail crashed into it. I had used the folder for similar tasks many times before, this was nothing special in that regard.

Just forget about it and buy a new one. You don't need the aggravation. (Your location says Finland. They'd want you to mail in the knife. If they don't end up sending a new one, you just blew the postage for no reason. I've no idea what it would cost to send it to California, USA from Finland.) As you said yourself, you put it through a lot of chopping of tree branches. No folder is meant for wood chopping, even if it's just small branches. I take it you've probably chopped some that were a half inch or thicker. Chopping is probably the hardest use you can put a knife through, even tougher than batonning, because of the shock on the blade and the tang. That's why even fixed blades can snap while chopping wood. Also, that knife is AUS8, right? That stainless steel is not tough enough for chopping, especially in a comparatively thin folding knife. And you're saying this went on over a long period of time, so there's metal fatigue issues as well. Use a thicker fixed blade, preferably of tough carbon steel, for chopping.

Just forget about it and buy a new one. You don't need the aggravation. (Your location says Finland. They'd want you to mail in the knife. If they don't end up sending a new one, you just blew the postage for no reason. I've no idea what it would cost to send it to California, USA from Finland.) As you said yourself, you put it through a lot of chopping of tree branches. No folder is meant for wood chopping, even if it's just small branches. I take it you've probably chopped some that were a half inch or thicker. Chopping is probably the hardest use you can put a knife through, even tougher than batonning, because of the shock on the blade and the tang. That's why even fixed blades can snap while chopping wood. Also, that knife is AUS8, right? That stainless steel is not tough enough for chopping, especially in a comparatively thin folding knife. And you're saying this went on over a long period of time, so there's metal fatigue issues as well. Use a thicker fixed blade, preferably of tough carbon steel, for chopping.

While I agree that chopping with folders is hard use and can be a little overkill, I don't think a CS folder wouldn't be up for it. I think if a company is going to claim repeatedly that the TRI-AD lock is the Toughest lock ever (not saying it isn't just stating that they make that claim) then chopping branches isn't a huge deal. I say this based on the fact that they challenge other companies locks...repeatedly. I think OhShoot said it good.

Gotta be kidding me. CS vid shows batoning through 2x8, hacking bootleather, smacking it hard as they can against both blade side and back side on wood block, etc etc.

Whacking some branches should be child's play for it.

In case you've forgotten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufYQFjj65s&feature=youtu.be

- OS

To the OP though, If you feel willing to give them a call and tell them what happened and your location, as well as ship on your own dime then you should go for it! Let us know how it turns out. :thumbup:

Best of luck!

Just forget about it and buy a new one. You don't need the aggravation. (Your location says Finland. They'd want you to mail in the knife. If they don't end up sending a new one, you just blew the postage for no reason. I've no idea what it would cost to send it to California, USA from Finland QUOTE]

You got it Reaper. Drives me bats, every time I read about guys all the time sending stuff back for a replacement or refund. Most of this stuff just ain't that expensive (and I'm on S.S..... meaning....poor.). Especially from Finland for crissakes. There are so many easier, faster ways to do this without going through all kinds of hassle to save the price of lunch at a semi decent restaurant. To wit: I just today received my brand new XL CS Voyager Vaquero that I bought on ebay. Entire transaction, from bid to delivery....3 1/2 days. For the princely sum of......$36....shipped.... I'm not making this up. Get a grip.

I know cold steel knives can handle a lot. If I were in a situation that I need my folder to chop branches I would use it for it at that time if I didn't have anything else. If I know ahead of time I was going to be chopping branches, I would bring a better tool for that job. Keep the cold steel in the pocket as a excellent backup. Just my thinking.

Chopping downwards, at an angle to inch thick branch of dry wood. The branch was just this sharp, pointy stub maybe 5 inches long. Nasty looking thing which would easily do severe damage if any of mountainbikers using the trail crashed into it. I had used the folder for similar tasks many times before, this was nothing special in that regard.

I would think that a Swiss Army knife with a saw would work much better for that, even if the process is slower. Any folding knife, even a super-tough one, will only take so much chopping stress over an extended period of time. I know many people expect a tough folding knife's lock and pivot areas to be invincible regardless of the use it's put to. As mentioned earlier, even some fixed blades can fail during chopping. Better to simply buy another than to send it in, but realize that any knife, especially a folder, has its limits.

Jim

not easy as carrying on a bike or with you as a folder, but a smaller 12" type machete would fit this role perfectly or any folding saw would far surpass any knife at this task. maybe panduit strap it to the frame where the water bottle goes usually?

that said i am surprised it broke from those tasks, but over time i guess........

I've been using an old pre-tri-ad Vaquero Grande for the same work, for the same reason, for years. It may break some day, but I have gotten my money's worth.

If it's worth it to you, it may be worth it to them, to see what their knife can take in the real world.

I agree that this is abusive for a knife, especially a folder and it is pretty reasonable for it to have broken in this scenario... but Cold Steel has made their position on this pretty clear and should back their product in this case simply due to their advertising. If they say to the customers "buy our knives because they are tougher and can handle more abuse than any other brand" they shouldn't fault the customer when they follow through. I'm definitely not implying that Cold Steel won't replace it in this scenario, I honestly think they will (We've seen people do dumber things here and Cold Steel still replaced the knife), but I do think I am going to take the side that either Cold Steel needs to replace the knife or not advertise their knives the way they do.

There is always the argument that this is for demonstration purposes only and you shouldn't do this at home etc. but then what is their value proposition? They are advertising and comparing SOLELY on toughness/strength so if they are going to say "our knives are the toughest but please don't be rough with our knives" then why should I buy their knives over someone else's if their knives break in use and they don't stand behind their "toughest" claim? Again not saying they won't, in fact I think they will and should.

So my whole point being is definitely contact their warranty department because they almost certainly will replace it even given how it broke since toughness is really what they are selling.

Mail it to CRKT. Maybe they can counter sue Cold Steel, since they started that foolishness.

Considering how often Cold Steel is now posting on YouTube (spine whack demonstrations and hanging weight from the clamped blade) to show how their knives are tougher than other brands they may well be of a mind to replace your knife. Good luck!

Last edited:
Gotta be kidding me. CS vid shows batoning through 2x8, hacking bootleather, smacking it hard as they can against both blade side and back side on wood block, etc etc.

Whacking some branches should be child's play for it.

In case you've forgotten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufYQFjj65s&feature=youtu.be

- OS

The very first sentence they say in their 'Testing Overview' vid: "Tests featured in this presentation represent gross abuse of the product and may potentially void warranty."

Funny how people want the knife lock they think is overkill to be stronger for tasks they wouldn't put their $400+ tactical folder through.

Funny how people want the knife lock they think is overkill to be stronger for tasks they wouldn't put their $400+ tactical folder through.

Funny how you think you know more about me and my knives than I do.

The first folder I used for trail-clearing was a Benchmade 975. The next was a new large Regular Sebenza. After that I switched to a Vaquero Grande for the longer blade.

If you know how to use them, almost any knife will perform effectively.

Back