XM-18 and XM-24 Knives - Generations, History and General Information

"Why doesn’t the scale thumb cutout match the cutout on the liner? Rick designed the XM that way intentionally, by making the scale side the same profile as the lockside, it reduces the chance that your finger unintentionally disengages the lock."

This one interests me- I understand the scale cutout prevents unintentional disengagement, but why not match with same cutout for the liner? Is it to save tiny bit of weight or any other ideas behind this?

Re: Optional Hardware and Components RHK website has also offered bronze and blue anodized XM Pocket Clip and Filler Tabs

Great writeup RDA!

"Why doesn’t the scale thumb cutout match the cutout on the liner? Rick designed the XM that way intentionally, by making the scale side the same profile as the lockside, it reduces the chance that your finger unintentionally disengages the lock."

This one interests me- I understand the scale cutout prevents unintentional disengagement, but why not match with same cutout for the liner? Is it to save tiny bit of weight or any other ideas behind this?

It gives you a bit more space between the sides to intentionally access the lockbar while the shape of the scale prevents you from an unintentional disengagement.

And it makes it very easy to modify with a dremel if you prefer to have more access to the lockbar. I live a low speed, high drag life and this two minute mod made the xm-18 that much better, for me. YMMV.

Question, all of the 3" wharnies I've seen have the new stop pin placement. Is this going to be standard on all the newer 3" models?

And it makes it very easy to modify with a dremel if you prefer to have more access to the lockbar. I live a low speed, high drag life and this two minute mod made the xm-18 that much better, for me. YMMV.

Am I the only one who cringes at this? Would you go to the Louvre and "fix" the smile on the Mona Lisa?

Ha! Good point but it's just the scale. If it gets messed up or you don't like the results then $60 gets you a brand new pallet. I don't have the knife with me here in my office or I would post a pic but I doubt you would even see a difference with the lowered scale mod but I like the subtle difference in the ease of accessing the lockbar.

Great facts...Thanks. Just sold the only two I've owned....never carried or used.....dishonor to the brand I know but loved looking at em!!

Can someone help me with where 'sterile' blades fit in the Hinderer lineage? The what, when & why they come or came about? Are they more sought after? Rare?

The sterile blades are on Gen 3 and a few Gen 4 3.5 XMs and on Gen 2 3" XMs........they are 20CV blades........they tend to be preferred by many collectors because they are sterile so the blade looks nice and clean and 20CV seems to be a preferred blade steel.
They also tend to be harder to find as they are not being made anymore.
The logos were introduced on Gen 4 3'5 XMs and towards the very end of the 3" Gen 2 runs to help RHK combat counterfeit blades in the market.
Gen 2 3.5 XMs are sterile but have a R. Hinderer stamped into the blade and are basically all custom ground......so they are kind of a different category.
In reality, any blade RHK has made is excellent, can be sharpened to a razor edge and will never let you down.
So, again, it comes down to what you like........
I'm sure Rich can add any info I forgot or correct me if I got anything wrong.....

I have a slightly different take on it. In general, sterile is in reference to blades that have minimal to no marking (i.e., those that don't have the laser treatment or didn't have the logo machined). Those "sterile" blades were pretty clean and completely unmarked (if the steel was 20CV typically) or they could have had the steel scribed on the right side with the steel type. If scribed, it was pretty faint typically.

In the first post, you can figure out the dates of each generation XM and when laser logos were introduced:

Laser Marking:

In 2012, Hinderer Knives began laser marking the knives. The custom knives receive the horse head logo and Rick’s signature whereas the productions receive the horse head logo and the “Made in the USA” and blade steel designation on the opposite side.

Some find them more desirable, many don't seem to be too concerned either way. I wouldn't call them rare, lots of knives were made in the "sterile" manner.

Could someone please tell me which XM Wharncliffe this is? I've read the whole post by can't exactly pin point it. Thank you!

2mfk779.jpg

23tjmmv.jpg

It appears to be a Gen 4 3.5" Wharncliffe, but there are no laser markings on it. And production wharnie's weren't made pre-logo...If you don't mind me asking, was this purchased at the NYCKS this weekend?

P-Lude's on it. It's a G4 production 3.5 as indicated by no stop-pin screw on lockside. And the material between pivot screw and clip insert means it's not a 3". Lack of hollow grind means it's not custom.

So, if it's out in the wild it's likely a show item. Other than that; images would be from pre-logo addition.

Yes, I acquired it at NYCKS this weekend. However, not from the Hinderer booth but an independent retailer. I grabbed it as soon as I held it, and in the heat of the moment forgot to ask the gentleman about which version it is. The detente is quite weak though, so it's quite curious as to which model it is exactly. Either way, I am VERY happy with it.

Thanks for the responses!

Back