Y'all filled up the server hard drives. Again.

I took that comment as poorly made. I get the issues behind the scenes but as long as this has been going on, that was a poor choice of words.

All that said, I just hope things get righted, for all involved and that includes Spark. His side ain't easy either.

Aw crap, Spark Spark , and just as I was going to post a "why do people remove sale prices" thread.....

Thanks for keeping the place running.

best

mqqn

I always wondered about that too. But I'm relatively new here so I didn't say anything.

Thanks for the communication Spark, I don't understand the tech talk but knowing that the issue is being addressed is all I need to know.

Here's to keeping Bladeforums
tenor.gif

FWIW,
I'm an IT Director, and depending on a number of factors, yes, it can be a real pain-in-the-ass to add additional HDD space to a server in a datacenter. Unless Spark owns his own server, almost all servers these days are one of many Virtual Machines that run on a single Host Machine or Host Cluster (like AWS), so there ARE no HDD's in the server, they're in a bank of disk drives called a SAN (Storage Area Network) in the datacenter.

If you don't own the hardware, the disk space for hosted virtual machine systems has to be purchased from the hosting company (and it ain't $28 per Tb like it is if you buy an enterprise class 8Tb HDD). It's offered in various size chunks that you have to pay for monthly as part of your site hosting fees and most only buy what they need when they need it. It's not fiscally viable to pay for multiple Tb's of disk space ya ain't using.

Evltcat, I haz a question about servers and websites for you.

Is it possible to have a bigass computer in your garage, connected to a fast internet connection, and run a website from it? Just leave it on all the time, handling internet pings to the website? If not for a huge website with tons of traffic like Bladeforums, is it possible for a tiny site with slow traffic to do it that way?

Is it possible to have a bigass computer in your garage, connected to a fast internet connection, and run a website from it? Just leave it on all the time, handling internet pings to the website? If not for a huge website with tons of traffic like Bladeforums, is it possible for a tiny site with slow traffic to do it that way?
Yes.
For low to moderate traffic, a decent computer (doesn't have to be too expensive) with a fast connection will work just fine.

Yes.
For low to moderate traffic, a decent computer (doesn't have to be too expensive) with a fast connection will work just fine.

That's really interesting. So in theory, Bladeforums could be hosted on a huge-ass computer in a garage and a super good internet connection?

I do work in high performance computing, but very different applications. One thing I can say for sure is that if you analyze your resource demands and buy a purpose built machine, you can get very good bang for the buck.

Hi Mecha,
If your site isn't like BF, you see a few hundred or thousand visits a month, and you don't stream a lot of video, then you can easily run a site from home.

If your site IS like BF, then the problem you're going to have running the site is your ISP.
First, the upload speed of most home internet connections is 10Mbps or less, so any decent traffic site is going to overwhelm that speed.
Second, you don't have a static IP address so your server isn't at the same "Internet street address" everyday. The IP address changes every so often, and then your server won't work until you update DNS.
Third, most home ISP's have a clause in their TOS (Terms of service) that exclude any site that generates more than "X" amount of data transfer per month, week, or day. It's the ISP's way of making sure you pay for "Business Internet" which is about 10x more expensive.

Hi Mecha,
If your site isn't like BF, you see a few hundred or thousand visits a month, and you don't stream a lot of video, then you can easily run a site from home.

If your site IS like BF, then the problem you're going to have running the site is your ISP.
First, the upload speed of most home internet connections is 10Mbps or less, so any decent traffic site is going to overwhelm that speed.
Second, you don't have a static IP address so your server isn't at the same "Internet street address" everyday. The IP address changes every so often, and then your server won't work until you update DNS.
Third, most home ISP's have a clause in their TOS (Terms of service) that exclude any site that generates more than "X" amount of data transfer per month, week, or day. It's the ISP's way of making sure you pay for "Business Internet" which is about 10x more expensive.

Ahh, ok. I was wondering about it because computers are so fast now, and some internet connections can be extremely fast too. I guess it just doesn't work like that.

Back