Yet another TSA misadventure

halden.doerge

I'll Sharpen Your Knife
Gold Member
So, here I am flying as I have done countless times to Texas to visit the family. And just like every time I carefully make sure all my non-TSA compliant items are safely in my checked bag. Knives, multi tool, teeny tiny prybar, the whole nine yards. And then, just like always, I headed through security carrying only my little AAA o light and my Hinderer investigator pen.

Mind you, I've carried these on virtually every flight gut I've taken in the last few years. Well this time the f*ckers in the uniforms inform me that my pen is a weapon and they're taking it. Yeah.

I might have understood if I had the big huge "Extreme Duty" pen, or one of those pointy warhead caps, but cone on, the Investigator Pen?

I'm furious.

N8roETo.jpg

Updated pocket dump. :(

Doesn't Hinderer sell that as a weapon?

So even though this pen is shorter and smaller in diameter you can still get a very good grip on it when striking!

Properly placed traction grooves give a good firm grip when using pen in a CQB mode.

Course threads used throughout for extra thread height which translates into a very strong tough thread able to take the punishment of hard strikes.

Man that freaking sucks. Do you have any other option in that situation. Can you ask for it back, and head the other way in line...back to the other side? I mean..those aren't that cheap haha. Go stick it in the soil of some plant in the airport...it'll be there when you get back...LOL

Doesn't Hinderer sell that as a weapon?

So even though this pen is shorter and smaller in diameter you can still get a very good grip on it when striking!

Properly placed traction grooves give a good firm grip when using pen in a CQB mode.

Course threads used throughout for extra thread height which translates into a very strong tough thread able to take the punishment of hard strikes.

Honestly have never read how Hinderer markets it. Only know how small and innocuously pen-like it is. And how it's had no problem going through TSA for years before. Live and learn.

TSA knows all about "tactical" pens. You're lucky you got by with it this long.

So the real question is what non-tactical pen should I buy to replace it? :D

Man that freaking sucks. Do you have any other option in that situation. Can you ask for it back, and head the other way in line...back to the other side? I mean..those aren't that cheap haha. Go stick it in the soil of some plant in the airport...it'll be there when you get back...LOL
That's actually bot a bad idea, who would look?

I had a Boker KID Cal. 50 in CF that I really liked until I lost it.

Marketed as a "tactical" pen but really the least weaponized thing ever. Not much more than 4" long, clean design, and with a bolt action for playing around with. Comes in multiple materials (alum, ti, CF and micarta) and none are expensive (as far as these "tactical pens" go).

Actually, I think I'll buy one or two as replacements.

Sounds like you were just dealing with a jack ass! If you've been allowed to take it before then there r inconsistencies in their procedures and should be brought th there attention!

I've got one of those. Clearly, it was the pointy end that was the problem. :D

Maybe the flat cap attachment for the Investigator might work?

TSA guys have been known to take shiny expensive looking things :(.

Find out when the auction is so you can get it back.

I am guessing the only auction will be on ebay. You should ask the the TSA guy his ebay name:confused:.

Back