Yet another TSA misadventure

I've got one of those. Clearly, it was the pointy end that was the problem. :D

Maybe the flat cap attachment for the Investigator might work?

I was wondering that too. The fact that mine was stainless steel, and thus heftier might also have been a factor.

I brought a knife with me to the airport by accident once. I got to TSA and remembered before even getting up to the front of the line. Many airports have a post office in them. I just went to the post office and mailed it home. It took five minutes and cost 6 bucks. Next time look into that.

They cannot take your pen. You have to surrender it in order to proceed. You always have the option to go to your car or something. I had been dropped off so I was stranded and that was not an option. I also was not checking a bag. It just so happens that I saw the post office on the way in and luckily that option popped into my head.

I realize this advise is too late but hopefully it will help someone else.

Last edited:
You didn't let them take it, did you?
I've forgotten, and walked up with a knife in my pocket with not enough time to run back and try to get it in my checked bag. I just tell them I want it shipped home to me. They overcharge for the service, and they only send things out once a week; but 2-3 weeks later it arrives.

I have yet to hear about one incident of 'turrurism' :rolleyes: that the TSA has prevented. They have however, shown themselves to quite proficient at relieving the public of high dollar items. :mad:

Sounds like you were just dealing with a jack ass! If you've been allowed to take it before then there r inconsistencies in their procedures and should be brought th there attention!

No, we don't want that to happen. Guess which inconsistency they'll fix.

IMO, one should not expect too much when it comes to airport security. Even before the TSA, I had problems even with connecting flights.

I remember when some genius at one of the Chicago airports posted acceptable carryon size and then put a cookie cutter template on the xray machine. My carryon was half the size allowed, but because it was not a briefcase style (semi soft gym locker style bag) it wouldn't fit through the template. I had to empty everything out and mail the contents to myself (fragile items I didn't want in checked luggage).

Another time, I got accosted for trying to bring an empty semi soft leather pool stick case on the plane (wouldn't fit in my checked luggage; pool stick was already in checked luggage), and then they took swabs of the inside of my shoes. My friend, taking a separate flight, walked in with what looked like a small base ball bat (it was carved so they called it a statue) without a second glance.

Another funny story I witnessed from earlier this year... While waiting for a connecting flight to another country, three young fellows bought a $500 bottle of liquor from the duty free shop to celebrate when they got to their final destination. 5 minutes before boarding they were told they couldn't bring alcohol onto the flight, and they ended up leaving the $500 bottle on a seat at the gate.

Last edited:
I recently went through a similar debacle with the tsa. I opted to mail my pen to myself, at the airport (DFW) they had a usps stand, box thingy. Cost me almost 20 bucks to mail it home, and it took a MONTH to get it. Jeesh.

That said, my pen isn't made anymore so replacing it would be tough.

I feel your pain.

Some of those TSA twerps will steal...err..confiscate...anything they would like to take home. Danger has nothing to do with it.
I had an empty .500 revolver cartridge case on a key-ring...with an empty primer flash-hole also...and they still took it. The real danger is "absolute power; no brains."

What happens to TSA confiscated items varies by state.

In Texas, a lot of it gets turned over to the State Surplus Property office, who then sells the confiscated stuff to the public.

The SSP facility in Austin, Texas, which happens to be only about 2 miles from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, has tubs and tubs of cheap knives confiscated at airports around the state.

Any really good knives are either really over-priced and displayed in locking display cabinets, or more likely, bought by employees before they ever get put out.

I work for an airline and travel often. They are useless idiots.. sorry.
They miss knives all the time. Believe me, I know. I collect antique bottles and those are okay to take as a carry on items that is until someone breaks one and uses that as a cutting instrument.

I work for an airline and travel often. They are useless idiots.. sorry.
They miss knives all the time. Believe me, I know. I collect antique bottles and those are okay to take as a carry on items that is until someone breaks one and uses that as a cutting instrument.
Same thing with expensive titanium knitting needles;)

I have yet to hear about one incident of 'turrurism' :rolleyes: that the TSA has prevented. They have however, shown themselves to quite proficient at relieving the public of high dollar items. :mad:

Thanks for sharing! What a pig that TSA man is.

That sucks man. That is exactly why I've never bought a tactical pen. Sounds like in this case, your TSA guy knew what to look for....

In your case, I'd suggest the Parker Jotter or Zebra 401 or 701. Cheap enough (I'm currently carrying all three) and sturdy enough to use as a weapon if needed. Aim any at the auditory canal or throat and it's gonna be a problem for the guy on the receiving end.

My cargo shorts set off the scanner a few weeks age, because of the a replacement button sowed to the left pocket bottom. It came from the store that and he acted like they had never seen it before. Got me a full private screening, hand swabs, hands down my pants and TSA grabbing my junk. They wanted to take me to a private room, but I told him to just do it there.

The worst part of it was that he acted like he was enjoying himself. :eek:

Unlimited power corrupts without a doubt.

So now we just need to install tracking devices into our knives

The TSA have no clue. Unless they see a titanium pen they would like in their pocket. I carry as little as possible in my pockets on any flight. Wallet, phone, ticket. I put any TSA friendly items in my carry on so they will need to see it on the X-ray to question it. In your situation I would have had him call his supervisor/boss to confirm the "weapon" and tell him ANY pen can be used as a weapon. If he said it was dangerous because of the point, I would unscrew the tip and put it in his hand and ask "What now makes this dangerous?"

I have the james williams pen from crkt in my backpack all the time, no problems so far with TSA. fingers crossed

Back