You Can't Beat INFI . . . . . Oh, Really? . . . Watch This!!! . . . INFI Destruction Test! . . .

Jerry Busse

You Can't Beat INFI . . . . . Oh, Really? . . . Watch This!!! . . . INFI Destruction Test! . . .

We took 4 of the Anorexic Fusion Battle Mistresses with similar edge and bevel geometry as the Camp Mistress, and gave them a beating!

The thin edges of the Mistresses are taken down to approx. .020 - .025" (That's about as thick as 6 sheets of printer paper) prior to sharpening. Garth handed out the beatings and was specifically instructed to strike the High-Density Concrete with the side of the edge at angles that would greatly increase the damage! This typically induces heavy chipping in most other steels. INFI yawned and begged for more!

https://youtu.be/hwnEzzC4iC8

INFI!

Let's Drink!

Jerry

This could get interesting! :D

giphy.gif

ETA - Jerry Busse Jerry Busse maybe a raffle for one those 4 knives in the condition after the test?

Long time listener first time caller. JoeX just obliterated my indestructable mega ratmanu?

Long time listener first time caller. JoeX just obliterated my indestructable mega ratmanu?
JoeX sets out to intentionally destroy a knife and he does a darned good job of it! :thumbsup: . . . No big surprise.

The Mega Ratmandu has the geometry of a slightly beefed-up straight razor that was designed for slicing! :cool:

It has a very thin, deep dish hollow ground bevel, that has very little side support for insanely heavy impacts.:eek:

Simply put, it was the wrong geometry for the job!

Had we designed it for chopping cars, concrete, and steel pipes, we would have NEVER used a deep dish hollow ground bevel.

If we had used a more robust, flat, or convex bevel on that blade, our friend, JoeX, would still be hacking away!!! 😁

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry 😁

Chip = metal gone from edge. Gone. Removed. Irreparable.

Roll = Metal still there. Deformed. Repairable.

To me, a roll can be recoverable without regrinding the primary bevel. It's a misalignment of the edge, possibly a gross misalignment. The edge in the vid is trashed pretty much to the top of the primary. The fact that the displaced metal is still intact it irrelevant. That edge needs to be fully reground to recover 100% performance.

I am a big fan of INFI, and would definitely agree that its relative ductility is an advantage in terms of smoothing over chips and 'heavy rolls' in the field, but stuff like what's shown in the vid still needs to be fully ground out to completely restore the edge.

I'm not interested in literal destruction tests of knives a la Joe X. What I am interested in is testing that determines how far a given steel/treat/geometry can be pushed in situations where I might actually use the knife. So, not minimizing chips when chopping a block of concrete, but the ability to not have a chip if I hit a rock or hard media inside wood while chopping.

Cutting reasonable bolts with controlled batoning is another plausible scenario. Just beating the crap out of a knife doesn't really prove anything, though.

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere someone else had a problem with their mega ratmandu edge. It’s a very thick knife with an extreme hollow transition to a thin edge. Not surprised it did how it did. Joe also seems a little more understanding in his recent videos.

Edit: Jerry beat me to it. Post above this one explains^^^

To me, a roll can be recoverable without regrinding the primary bevel. It's a misalignment of the edge, possibly a gross misalignment. The edge in the vid is trashed pretty much to the top of the primary. The fact that the displaced metal is still intact it irrelevant. That edge needs to be fully reground to recover 100% performance.

I am a big fan of INFI, and would definitely agree that its relative ductility is an advantage in terms of smoothing over chips and 'heavy rolls' in the field, but stuff like what's shown in the vid still needs to be fully ground out to completely restore the edge.
It’s surprising what a steeling can do to an edge like what is shown in the video with INFI. Say that were to happen in the field - a flat or slightly rounded rock could bring a lot of that rolling back into a serviceable edge. Would it shave? No. Could it still cut? Yes, albeit poorly. (I have done this with a screwdriver shaft on my NMFSH while camping.)

It’s surprising what a steeling can do to an edge like what is shown in the video with INFI. Say that were to happen in the field - a flat or slightly rounded rock could bring a lot of that rolling back into a serviceable edge. Would it shave? No. Could it still cut? Yes, albeit poorly. (I have done this with a screwdriver shaft on my NMFSH while camping.)

I agree, and I've played around with that a good bit. But my main interest is how far the steel/treat/geometry can be pushed with less damage to the edge.

You are both correct. No chips are missing from the edge but there are parts of the edge that were dented, ground down, or bent by the abrasiveness of the concrete. They are deep enough in some places to require some re-grinding in order to have a smooth edge once again.

Steeling that edge would dramatically help and would definitely provide a usable field edge. You could then use my favorite trick that was taught to me by my Dad when I was a kid. He showed me how to strop the edge of a knife blade along the top of a side car window! It is pretty much like a ceramic stick since it's made out of tempered glass and rounded. You only use this trick if your edge isn't too ratty!

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry

It has a very thin, deep dish hollow ground bevel, that has very little side support for insanely heavy impacts.:eek:

I agree for the hollow ground bevel...but the spine of the blade is 9 mm !!!!!!!
That's an insanely thick spine and JoeX shouldn't have been able to break the blade just by pulling on it after driving it into the tree stump.
Perhaps the knife was weakened by previous impacts?

I agree for the hollow ground bevel...but the spine of the blade is 9 mm !!!!!!!
That's an insanely thick spine and JoeX shouldn't have been able to break the blade just by pulling on it after driving it into the tree stump.
Perhaps the knife was weakened by previous impacts?
The knife is weakened because of the deep hallow grind. The thickness does not matter when 3/4 of the blade is hallow ground. That type of grind is purely used for slicing. This specific knife makes no sense to me and kind of a novelty release imo.

A standard flat grind would dramatically change the durability of this knife into borderline indestructible. It’s really that simple

Back