You Can't Beat INFI . . . . . Oh, Really? . . . Watch This!!! . . . INFI Destruction Test! . . .

You are both correct. No chips are missing from the edge but there are parts of the edge that were dented, ground down, or bent by the abrasiveness of the concrete. They are deep enough in some places to require some re-grinding in order to have a smooth edge once again.

Steeling that edge would dramatically help and would definitely provide a usable field edge. You could then use my favorite trick that was taught to me by my Dad when I was a kid. He showed me how to strop the edge of a knife blade along the top of a side car window! It is pretty much like a ceramic stick since it's made out of tempered glass and rounded. You only use this trick if your edge isn't too ratty!

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. :)

From my standpoint, there are 3 areas where blade toughness is often measured that translate into real-world performance. Those would be the ability to resist high lateral forces on the entire blade without plastic deformation, the ability to endure impacts on very hard media without losing gross use of the edge (like in your vid above) and the ability to cut through moderately hard media with a much lesser degree of damage to the edge.

INFI really excels in the first context. A practical example of that would be batoning a tough piece of wood with a large knot, and having the blade flex on its way through. And as you say, INFI is also very good in the second context, where it's a given that the edge will be seriously compromised for finer cutting, but field restoration to a level where it can still be used for general cutting tasks is relatively easy.

The third context is where I would be most interested to see a comparison between INFI and SR-3V. Nathan Carothers has posted a few vid's on this over the years, notably featuring a Bushwhacker Mistress as his control. He uses a variety of blades to cut nails and bolts. INFI also does very well here, but optimized 3V gives it a pretty good run.

The Free Rein performs very well in your bolt cut video. So what I'm interested to see is the performance tradeoff in these areas between INFI at 58-60 vs. SR-3V at 61-63, or perhaps even INFI at 61-63, with the same blade model. If SR-3V (or both steels at higher hardness) do better in the bolt cutting test, what do we have to give up from INFI at 58-60 to get that?

My guess is that ultimately it will be a question of higher extreme edge stability vs. greater ease of gross edge restoration (and maybe a bit more corrosion resistance).

The knife is weakened because of the deep hallow grind. The thickness does not matter when 3/4 of the blade is hallow ground. That type of grind is purely used for slicing. This specific knife makes no sense to me and kind of a novelty release imo.

A standard flat grind would dramatically change the durability of this knife into borderline indestructible. It’s really that simple
+1 Hallow Grind makes a phenomenal slicer- that's why most if not all wharnies used for self defense use a hallow grind.
(Mike Janich - Spyderco- Yojimbo- Mike's an expert at Knife Self Defense (Marshal Blade Concepts) his Yojimbo's all have nice hallow grinds...

The knife is weakened because of the deep hallow grind. The thickness does not matter when 3/4 of the blade is hallow ground. That type of grind is purely used for slicing. This specific knife makes no sense to me and kind of a novelty release imo.

A standard flat grind would dramatically change the durability of this knife into borderline indestructible. It’s really that simple

That’s why I don’t understand why they gave it a ridiculously thick spine if it’s purely a slicer.

JoeX sets out to intentionally destroy a knife and he does a darned good job of it! :thumbsup: . . . No big surprise.

The Mega Ratmandu has the geometry of a slightly beefed-up straight razor that was designed for slicing! :cool:

It has a very thin, deep dish hollow ground bevel, that has very little side support for insanely heavy impacts.:eek:

Simply put, it was the wrong geometry for the job!

Had we designed it for chopping cars, concrete, and steel pipes, we would have NEVER used a deep dish hollow ground bevel.

If we had used a more robust, flat, or convex bevel on that blade, our friend, JoeX, would still be hacking away!!! 😁

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry 😁

Hey Jerry,

I think what a lot of joes fans and newcomers are curious about is ‘at what point will INFI fail?’.

There’s no doubt in my mind that INFI, especially thicker INFI, will handle a lot of the abuse joe throws at it but it’s when the inevitable catastrophic failure happens while claiming Busse and kin are the “toughest knives in the world” that really get the critics in an uproar… not to mention Joe clearly gains massively from these interactions as it brings him views so the goal from the beginning is to always have it break in an unfair way.

I appreciate the video showing the FABM taking some decent hits but I would’ve rather watched one go till it had a catastrophic failure to see how at what point the blade would become compromised, similar to the infamous Basic 9 destruction test by All Outdoors. Which is also why I think joe has such a following (similar destructive tests but less scientific, more absurd).

I still find his tests extremely unreliable and bias to the point of being prejudice, especially against certain brands, but there is something to take away from this whether it be “what not to do with knives” or how to improve INFI (if that’s even possible).

that being said, I’ve been a happy hog for over 10 years now. I remember the reason I got into Busse and INFI was thanks to torture tests on bladesforum. I recently purchased a Trail Bacon because apparently joes test results have no effect on me.

Cheers!

Hey Jerry,

I think what a lot of joes fans and newcomers are curious about is ‘at what point will INFI fail?’.

There’s no doubt in my mind that INFI, especially thicker INFI, will handle a lot of the abuse joe throws at it but it’s when the inevitable catastrophic failure happens while claiming Busse and kin are the “toughest knives in the world” that really get the critics in an uproar… not to mention Joe clearly gains massively from these interactions as it brings him views so the goal from the beginning is to always have it break in an unfair way.

I appreciate the video showing the FABM taking some decent hits but I would’ve rather watched one go till it had a catastrophic failure to see how at what point the blade would become compromised, similar to the infamous Basic 9 destruction test by All Outdoors. Which is also why I think joe has such a following (similar destructive tests but less scientific, more absurd).

I still find his tests extremely unreliable and bias to the point of being prejudice, especially against certain brands, but there is something to take away from this whether it be “what not to do with knives” or how to improve INFI (if that’s even possible).

that being said, I’ve been a happy hog for over 10 years now. I remember the reason I got into Busse and INFI was thanks to torture tests on bladesforum. I recently purchased a Trail Bacon because apparently joes test results have no effect on me.

Cheers!

The only way to have an honest toe-to-toe with the many different knife steels on the market today is to have the exact same geometry across the board in these different steels.

Then you must replicate these tests as mechanically as possible in order to have the same number of hits and impact power as possible.

This would help to eliminate the possibility of human error, fatigue, or prejudice.

Joe's tests are very entertaining, but they are not, nor does he claim them to be, scientific in any sense of the word.

Cheers to Joe! 🍻

Let's Drink!

Jerry

Keep the test going until the pipe and the concrete are cut in half !
A comparison is needed for benchmaerking the perforemance, something like BK9 or Junglas would do the work.

That's the stuff Garth...

giphy.gif

Evidently some people recently observing Joex haven't seen the videos from years ago when Ogre I think it was that chopped a car in half with a KDSH. Showing the true ability of SR101.
Damn I love those old vids.

Well, you gotta understand that the joeX fanboys are mostly gamers that live in their parents basement and never leave it. They have no touch with reality and actually think joe knows what he is doing, which he does not.

Well, you gotta understand that the joeX fanboys are mostly gamers that live in their parents basement and never leave it. They have no touch with reality and actually think joe knows what he is doing, which he does not.
Insults now? I am not a Joe X fanboy.

“The Mega Ratmandu has the geometry of a slightly beefed-up straight razor that was designed for slicing! “

“It has a very thin, deep dish hollow ground bevel, that has very little side support for insanely heavy impacts.”

Which is all fine and dandy but that’s not how they were advertised.
So my mega ratweiler is a 28 oz slightly beefed up straight razor?

Should I have understood these were only fragile novelty releases?

Insults now? I am not a Joe X fanboy.

“The Mega Ratmandu has the geometry of a slightly beefed-up straight razor that was designed for slicing! “

“It has a very thin, deep dish hollow ground bevel, that has very little side support for insanely heavy impacts.”

Which is all fine and dandy but that’s not how they were advertised.
So my mega ratweiler is a 28 oz slightly beefed up straight razor?

Should I have understood these were only fragile novelty releases?

Not an insult, an observation. Not all fanboys are gamers in their parents basements, just a large portion 😂

I am not sure what planet people live on when they think a hollow ground blade is supposed to be tough. When I buy a hollow ground knife, I know that lower portion can't take abuse, there is hardly any metal there to support the edge. People that think that they can abuse a hollow ground blade and not see damage, lack a fundamental understanding of blade and edge geometry. Which is why I never buy hollow ground blades for hard use. They are great for slicing though. Like the old sog bowies. Great slicers, but you will destroy that edge on a wood knot.

Ok, so where in there is that knife doing anything other than processing normal wood and food? Do you see anywhere in there where they smack a pole or rock? NO!!!,
Did you misunderstand the advertising? I will repeat, which planet was it?

Gotta admit though, that's a dang good looking knife. Thick with hollow grind. Very nice.
Don’t get me wrong I love my Megas. I promise to be more gentle with them in the future. My point revolves around my observation that as great of a knifemaker Jerry is he is an even greater marketer.

Back