You guys down for a WIP Pants for the Farm Knife?

Can’t wait to see the finished product! True craftsmanship! I’ve made a few fully carved leather guitar straps and bible covers. I found all my Tandy leather tools. Maybe I should try making some knife sheaths. I’m so close to retirement with no retirement hobbies other than the honey do list. Hmmm, sheaths for my knives!

You should give it a try. Honestly, I'm no expert, but I can make a passable sheath.

It all started when buying Busse, which don't come wirh sheaths.
yGFJkms.jpg

xYhrU7o.jpg

Man those look great, more then just passable if ya ask me!! There pretty easy to make, you just keep learning more with each one and apply it to the next one, before ya know it a few years pass.

Ok fellas, got more work done today and finished it up. Was not feeling good the last few days, every time the weather changes here I get a dang cold. When your used to 80-90"s, 40's and 30's can do that to ya. Anyho here are the last ones.
Here is the backside with the belt loop sewed up and now ready to glue, and the next is the glue on and setting up,
7z983md.jpg
TAEjCQi.jpg

Once its put together I use clamps to let the glue dry, once its dry I will trim the edges again on the belt sander nice and smooth so I can sew it up.
Iejdrml.jpg
sfum70S.jpg

Ok all stitched up, I did this one by hand, I dont like to use the machine when I do overlays plus I can control hand stitching better anyho. skipped passed that Here is a pic of the sheath with the Farm knife and scabbard. and a few with the knife in it and two showing the texture of the Ostrich skin. I hope you guys liked the WIP and the final result
3C239lV.jpg
hr6sMK6.jpg

ZJeL2VS.jpg
5SlJweQ.jpg

That turned out perfect. Very classy. Santa brought me one of them Farm Knives, I now see first hand what all the hype is about. It's a very cool knife. First one I ever held was at Aunties and my first show and tell. He was a monster, also very cool and I needed a shopping cart to hold everything she showed me that I wanted which of course was everything she showed me. The smaller version is a real user, love everything about it.
You made a nice home to store it in. Well done.

That turned out wonderful! Do you use rubber cement to tack it together? Like I’ve said, I’ve made bible covers but never a holster nor sheath. Also do you use a leather mallet and punch to pierce the leather to lock stitch? I can’t remember all the terminology as it’s been quit a while since I’ve done leather work

That turned out wonderful! Do you use rubber cement to tack it together? Like I’ve said, I’ve made bible covers but never a holster nor sheath. Also do you use a leather mallet and punch to pierce the leather to lock stitch? I can’t remember all the terminology as it’s been quit a while since I’ve done leather work

Thank man, I do use a contact cement to glue up the leather, I have to look but I think it’s the weld wood contact cement with the green label, no fumes. I use a stitch spacer and I use a Dremel drill press for the holes, it’s too hard to to try to make the holes with a punch/awl as the welts can be thick. And I do a saddle stitch when hand stitching, it locks the thread nice and tight.

Very nice Pugs! Thats got to be one of my favorites yet! Like that little Farm Knife too. I bet a micro FK would be cool too!

Pugs, I am a little late to the party. That final product is sexy! Love that black ostrich skin. Very reptilian. I think I have that knife's brother. I sharked one of the Christmas special 13"ers. I've 2 other Farm Knives before and ended up selling them before I ever using them. I deeply regretted that. But now, I am really happy I have a smaller one. They are awesome. I'm not letting it go. Great job on the sheath as usual.

Thanks again fellas, I’m really digging the ostrich leg, as I can’t afford the body leather lol. I will definitely use it again, it has some great textures to it.

OK some questions for ya Pugs. You will see why soon:)
OK one dumb question after another... here goes:
What is thickness of that leather? Looks like about 8oz? maybe 10? Wild guess.
Is that a #2 edger? Seems a #2 or #3 would prolly be good for that thickness leather but I dont know squat!
Wow! I need some more clamps! Cant have to many in woodworking either.
Do you use a pricking iron or one of them stitch marking wheels or do you just wing it totally freehand? Whatever you do your stitching has always impressed me!
I assume its a Saddle stitch? Seems most do it that way? oh never mind you answered that one already.

1st mistake:
Yeah! That one!
"...you just have to think it out before you cut, I have made quite a few mistakes when I started especially when I put the template on the leather to trace for cutting if your not thinking about what your doing you can trace the wrong side and cut it out only to see you cut it backwards"
Skin side matters!
2nd mistake:
bought me one of them five in one tools for $13! I knew when I bought it that i would get what I paid for but dang! It was total garbage. The stitch groover didnt even have any edge exposed. All the bevel pieces were so dull and rough I could have mad me a new one in the machine shop easier than trying to make them work. anyway. Anyway thats why I ask what beveler you use most for knife sheaths? My reasoning for buying cheap crap was really just to see what the tool looked like and Id make me one iof I had to but this thing was so rough its not even good for that! It was "Kemovancraft" from China. They do make some good tools it seems but this particular one is garbage.
3rd mistake: TBD-to be determined...im sure there will be some more.
OK hers the next one: Anything you do to the leather needs to be protected so you dont make clamping marks etc. Skin is very good at saving you screwups! Use padded clamps etc. I got to figure that one out i suppose.
Thanks PUGS in advance. Soon as I can upload some pics ill start a new thread and explain my curiosity!

BTW: Nice work Big fatty! I do Like Busse and scrapyard knives a lot! Is that a "Battle Mistress" I got started in their knives from a Scrapyard Godfather CG. It was a monster. Then I discovered HI and it was all over:)

Last edited:
Back