You guys use shemaghs?

Not really a high tech gadget, but I’m curious if you guys use these or have them in your bug out bag. Got two, but they’re mostly just sitting there in the closet lol. Interested in getting an OD green shemagh, but realistically I won’t really use it that often. Used to wear these before the university shifted to online classes.

Yep. Use one quite often. Not as a COVID cover, but for outdoors stuff. Great head and neck drape for down here in the southeast

I’ve got several I used to use all the time, but I’ve since replaced them with merino wool kerchiefs from NorthxNorth. Same purpose, better functionality in my experience.

I've got 4-5 shemaghs that I wear in a few different ways...but, since covid was mentioned, I agree that the weave is too loose to be off benefit. FWIW, I have also opted for a couple of NxN kerchiefs; now I mainly use the shemaghs when I want the pattern, or in warmer weather.

I've got 4-5 shemaghs that I wear in a few different ways...but, since covid was mentioned, I agree that the weave is too loose to be off benefit. FWIW, I have also opted for a couple of NxN kerchiefs; now I mainly use the shemaghs when I want the pattern, or in warmer weather.
True. You know it’s loose when light passes through the material easily. Still makes for a great scarf though in cold weather or air-conditioned rooms.

Received one from Green Beret Buddy, I put it in my Bug Out Bag.

I've never gotten it out or worn it. Guess I should get it out and take it for a spin at least a couple times.

I love them. Leave one in my truck all the time just in case. Have a couple others I wear for hunting. The versatility is excellent. Warm in winter, covered skin in summer, multi-use in bugout situation, etc. I have a real skin cancer fear so I wear them on the range in the summer pretty often. I like the buff or hoorag as well for cover from sun, but find that they slip down my big head/face constantly when I have to talk a lot.

I love them. Leave one in my truck all the time just in case. Have a couple others I wear for hunting. The versatility is excellent. Warm in winter, covered skin in summer, multi-use in bugout situation, etc. I have a real skin cancer fear so I wear them on the range in the summer pretty often. I like the buff or hoorag as well for cover from sun, but find that they slip down my big head/face constantly when I have to talk a lot.
I’m high-risk for melanoma, so I’m long-sleeves and pants year-round. I’ve switched to merino wool because it’s got better sun/UV protection than just cotton.

I prefer using "The Buff" in merino wool or a different version depending on time of year. As others have mentioned, better material, similar benefits, but in a much less bulkier package.

Recently got one in petrol blue to make it less tacticool scarf for winter. Great breathability but also very warm. Yes, it’s a little bit too ”scarfy” for some outfits but winter coat works nicely. If I want purely functional (hammocking for instance) it’s hard to beat the buff.

I got used used to wearing them years ago, initially a kaffiyeh which is the original arab style and sometimes now various shemaghs because they're great against black flies and mosquitoes and gives you great coverage. You can wear them different ways for different uses but except for bug and sun coverage you can get by with something much smaller.

I have four. I keep one in the car as part of the emergency kit. The others rotate as my daily scarf in winter.

I've used it only once as an "I forgot my mask" face covering to go into a store. Didn't do the full head wrap. Just over my nose like a bandana.

Of a sort. Black watch tartan plaid scarf same size and weight as a shemagh. Neck warmer for cold weather, neck sun protection for hot weather. It's seen a lot of wear on the farm and trail and needs replacing. I'm in the market if anyone wants to make a suggestion.

Zieg

For something shemagh sized that doesn’t have the traditional shemagh look, I highly recommend the kerchiefs from North x North Co. They’re merino wool and function identical while performing better due to material.

I’ve kept a buff for a few years now. Great for the bicycle and motorcycle, to keep debris out of your face in dusty and dirty conditions (even in a full face helmet). Also works well for skiing and other winter activities. Being able to use it as a mask for the last year has just been a bonus.

Edited...(original came off a bit judgmental)

As for shemaghs... to each their own, but anyone I’ve seen around here in suburbia came off as a ‘tactical cosplayer’. I’m not knocking anyone her, as I’m sure they are quite useful.

I'm curious, for anyone that uses one, what do you wear it with? Normal street clothes? And when do you wear one? Just when the weather deems it, or regardless of the conditions?

Last edited:
I’ve kept a buff for a few years now. Great for the bicycle and motorcycle, to keep debris out of your face in dusty and dirty conditions (even in a full face helmet). Also works well for skiing and other winter activities. Being able to use it as a mask for the last year has just been a bonus.

Edited...(original came off a bit judgmental)

As for shemaghs... to each their own, but anyone I’ve seen around here in suburbia came off as a ‘tactical cosplayer’. I’m not knocking anyone her, as I’m sure they are quite useful.

I'm curious, for anyone that uses one, what do you wear it with? Normal street clothes? And when do you wear one? Just when the weather deems it, or regardless of the conditions?
Back when university was open, wore mine with normal clothes sometimes. Usually in air-conditioned rooms like the library. Yeah, it could get real cold there. I like that shemaghs can be lighter and less bulky than jackets.

Back