You have knife making disease when....

Let's make a list. Add your favorite symptoms.
biggrin.gif

You have knife making disease when...

You sand knife handles while watching TV.

You look at any stray scrap of steel, wood, bone, etc. in terms of whether you could use it to make a knife.

Your shop is full of the previously mentioned stray scraps.

You read Blade and Knives Illustrated in the bathroom instead of Playboy or Sports Illustrated.

You never throw away an old copy of a knife magazine.

Vacations are planned so you can attend knife shows.

You frequently stay up past midnight planning/making that new knife.

You spend more than one hour a day in the Blade Forums Shop Talk.

You have half-finished knives scattered throughout the house.

You have dried epoxy on your hands/clothing.

You usually have several small knife cuts on your hands in various stages of healing.

You always want more/better knife making equipment.

You can't afford all the knife making equipment you want.

You have at least two Rube Goldberg contraptions in your shop that you made in hopes of making a better knife.

You turn down a romp in the hay with the wife to make a new handle mat. shine
2when you blow your nose at night and find you have black bugger's from breathing coal smoke
3your Grinder run's faster than the air conditioner in the house
4 you shake your head and all the drill cutting's fall out in the clean floor in the livingroom before dinner

You have shaved spots on your arms from testing blades.
You have more than 4 pairs of pliers.
You don't get manicures, but your nails are always well filed.
When you come out of a knife shop with your wife, she asks you what language you were speaking with the guy behind the counter.

------------------
Oz

Now, what other news did I have? Oh yes, IT'S A GIRL!!!
See her and my latest blades @
http://www.freespeech.org/oz/

* You show up at the corner store with racoon eyes from your saftey glasses
* You show off a block of wood, sometimes to complete strangers, as if it was your new Mercedes
* Shop tools are like sex - only the best are satisfying and it's only a problem when you have to go without.

------------------
Rob Ridley
Ranger Original Handcrafted Knives
http://www.col.ca/rridley

When there are more than 25 knife magazines on the back of your toilet.
When your wife makes you wear a pager in the shop.
When the wakeup alarm on your clock goes off at 6:00am and you just finished grinding another blade.
When you get in trouble at work for reading the bladeforums and it isn't lunch time.
When you take your wife to dinner and you doodle a knife on a napkin.
When you have to buy jewelery for your wife because you just charged a new Bader on mastercard and she found the statement.
smile.gif

------------------
good things aint cheap and cheap things aint good

*when you have a line of buffing compund on your shirt from buffing.
*when you have to shake the grinding dust of your shirt and pants before walking in the house.

You spend two thousand dollars on a new grinder and when you get it home your wife says your crazy....so you go out to your shop to admire your new tool and wonder: "Maybe I am crazy!!"

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

when your wifes anniversary present is a 50# little giant.
and the romantic getaway is the 1400 mile trip to pick up said hammer, with the three kids.........when your wife goes to cook dinner and finds that it is occupide by several blades..

When your heading out the door (after supper) to the shop and your 2 year old daughter asks

"Daddy,are you going back to YOUR house???"

------------------
"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty"
Thomas Jefferson

www.lameyknives.com

[This message has been edited by RMLamey (edited 04-07-2000).]

NO!!!!! have been too busy paying off my bill and hillary party dues!!!!!! and guys.. my wife makes me CHANGE before i can come in the house!!!!!!!!!! good thing shes so cute!

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

Since the implosion of the kingdome a few weeks ago, people have been scrambling to obtain a fist size chunk of concrete. I can't stop thinking of how I can get my hands on some of that rebar!

How about when you just ordered some more wood from a couple places and you got enough to make 500 knives already.

How about taking the mulch blades off the riding lawnmower to sharpen them and end up making a knife out of 1. can you still mulch with 1 mulch blade and 1 regular blade. Then I could make a knife out of the extra regular blade.

When you grind the side of your thumb off, and your so happy that it wasnt the tip.

When you and a few friends are considering going on a bow hunting trip, with no intention of getting any deer, just sheds for handles.

------------------
Oz

Now, what other news did I have? Oh yes, IT'S A GIRL!!!
See her and my latest blades @
http://www.freespeech.org/oz/

You spend more on knife making materials than on food.

You have 4 Jantz catalogs, all falling apart.

Everything you eat or drink smells/tastes like Micarta or Dymondwood

Your shop floor is many different colors from the handle sanding

You save old chunks of leather and belts for strops and polishing things

The UPS man gets interested in knives from all of your deliveries

There are worn out Dremel bits everywhere

Your parents try to use reverse psychology on you to stop making knives. "Wow, that came out nice, do you really have to do another one?"

You check Bladeforums Shop Talk at 3:30 am to see who else is still on or if anyone responded to your post.

You actually watch QVC and say to yourself "I can make a better knife than that!"

Then you make said knife during the next commercial break.

You see a grinder for $2000 and think its a good price

There are little shavings of Post-it Notes, paper, tissues (some bloody) everywhere.

[This message has been edited by Taz (edited 04-18-2000).]

Back