You never know when you're gonna need a pocket knife...

This was just on my local news this morning. Illustrates the importance of carrying a simple pocket knife on the farm. When I was I child, I was constantly warned to give the auger a wide berth.

I would love to know what gentleman used. I'm guessing something that would surprise most of us.

multiple news sites have reported it was a 3" blade... my guess would be the buck 112 but I really am curious to find out what his edc was that day

I read that an hour ago, made it to German news sites as well. And I agree probably a Buck that wasn't as sharp as it should have been. :eek::D

Hopefully our uses will be of a much less serious nature
but I have always felt it to be a tool well worth carrying(as well as a easy carry) by both men and women. It can be a very awkward moment when something needs to be cut and you have no tool to do it

Something about him just screams Buck 110.
If I know anything about the new outlets around here, if they could have put "Buck knife" in the "headline" they probably would have.

Back in the day, 110s were a lot more common, I don't see as many on belts as I used to . Hardly ever, in fact, although I did see a Benchmade bugout in a fellas pocket last year.

Probably a feed store or gas station special. He's most likely not a knife nut that won't like to spend more than 10 dollars on a pocket knife.

My 97 year old uncle got a shirt sleeve caught on a PTO splined shaft on the back of a "B" John Deere back in 1935. Luckily for him grandma was able to cut his shirt sleeve free, but, not before he broke a bone in his arm about an inch and a half above the wrist. Grandma took him into the house and got it as straight as she could and used two wooden spoons and a dishtowel to stabilize the break until it healed up. Thankfully the PTO was disengage quickly when it happened. The bone healed with a bit of a kink in it, but was fully functional and it wasn't bad enough to keep him out of the Army in WWII. Farming has always seemed like the most dangerous job in America to me. I cant imagine cutting off my own leg. I hope he had a full flask with him before he started.

Last edited:
... I hope he had a full flask with him before he started.

drinking alcohol during or before this operation would be a really bad idea... as it acts to thin your blood, and make it more likely that you'll bleed out

the only good use for alcohol would be to pour on the wound AFTER you got a tourniquet tied above it

Last edited:
My God! Tough old dude right there. I don't know if I could do that and never want to find out. I'd say this would qualify as hard use.

I would rather just pay attention and not have to cut my leg off that is caught in machinery. But Yes, you never know when you might need a knife. Keep 'em sharp! Stuff happens.

How did he get through the bones? Or did he just slide them out of the skin and muscle he cut through?

How did he get through the bones? Or did he just slide them out of the skin and muscle he cut through?

Reading one story, it sounds like the auger did a lot if the work for him. It had already severed his foot and he cut through a spot 8" below the knee. I'm guessing the bones there were already broken and probably some soft tissue damage, he just had to finish the job.

That guy has the best STFU trump card for public bitching. Anytime someone starts complaining about nonsense (like we often do here) he can just chime in with, "I cut my own leg off with a pocket knife and crawled 200 feet to a phone. STFU. Pansy."

I balk at digging out a splinter....

My new motto... "If you stay indoors, outdoor things will rarely happen to you"

Tough guy. As for what knife he had, my imagination pictures a stockman or a trapper. Either a Case or Shrade.

Back