You think US laws regarding knives are bad?

Let me fill you in on the number one sheeple country in europe, Denmark.

In denmark it is ILLEGAL to carry any knife that does not fulfill these requirements :

1) Must not be longer than 2 1/4th inches blade length. Unedged part of a blade counts too.

2) Must not be able to open with one hand, regardless if its designed for it or not. A loose ordinary folder that can be whipped out with one hand is illegal until you get it tightened.

3: Must not be lockable in opened position.

If these conditions are met you can STILL not bring it downtown at night if you are going out to drink or eat. It is not legal to have it in your car either. Stanley knives and screwdrivers neither.

In everyday carry you can carry a swiss army knife, but NOT an Opinel as it can be locked in opened position by turning the cap anticlockwise 45 degrees.

NO knives with finger studs are allowed as it enables the knife to be used with one hand.

If you are a scout, camper, hunter or use a knife for your job and you are going DIRECTLY to or from the activity with NO extra errinds such as shopping etc, you are allowed to carry a knife up to 5", also fixed blade knives.

IF you are in the wilderness (and we do NOT have such thing in denmark as all available land is owned by someone and law regulated) you can carry knives larger than 5". Note that you need to be LIVING there as you would not be allowed to carry it in the city even if packed down in a backpack.

The same rules apply to axes, instead of blade length you measure the width of the axe blade. ONLY allowed for use if you are one of the lucky few that got a house outside the city with a fireplace, OR you are going directly to or from a camping activity.

In this knife hostile climate I managed to run a Kukri Club for years and arrange events.. I obtained a special carry license so I could transport the kukris to and from events wrapped up in fabric and packed down in a backpack.

Switchblades, Balisong/butterfly knives, pushdaggers and neck knives are not legal under ANY circomstances in Denmark. If you ask the police they say "because!" No discussions. Danes cannot be trusted to carry a decent and SAFE knife in the pocket, they MIGHT get violent.

Personally I work as a bushcraft and survival instructor in both Scandinavia and North Carolina and for work I use my good old trusty J. P. Peltonen carbon steel knife, fixed blade, 6" blade and razor sharp. This type of knife are used in the finnish army and I like it a lot. I have used it in the amazon, australia, Midwest US and europe. Carrying my knife that has followed me all over the world in Denmark I risk loosing the knife and get a 5000 DKK fine (around 1,000 USD) plus a date in court to see if I need to sit in a cell for a couple of months on top .

All these insane laws have been made because a couple of persons have been perforated by some brainless idiots over the last many years. Instead of making people ACTIONS illegal and prosecute them for that, they have made a TOOL used by many people ILLEGAL, and now LOTS of carpenters, hunters, fishermen etc that forgot they had the knife in a box in the trunk or in the door pocket they are all of a sudden LAW BREAKERS. But the idiots that do not give a damn about the laws are ofcourse not affected.

When questioned about this the police said that they need tools to act if they find a person with a dangerous weapon.

I said that they ALREADY can do something if that person does something dangerous or destructive to another person, pet or property. If a guy sits in a bar minding his own business I dont care if he wear firearms and got a machete hanging from his belt.. as long as he is peaceful what harm does it do?

The problem with politicians.. they dont live in the real world and they sure never had to use a knife or an axe for something.

I have plans to invite politicians on a survival trip using only LEGAL knives, and see how that goes. Try to baton through a good piece of hardwood with a swiss folder. You can keep warm that way without fire.

Don't even get me STARTED on firearm laws in Denmark. if you are hunter you can have your rifle or shotgun in your home and carry it to and from hunting.. thats IT. No guns in the car trunk while shopping etc. Handguns: Unless you are a police officer you have no business owning a handgun in Denmark, but I believe (and HOPE) that many does anyway.

Our village pillaging and ocean traveling viking ancestors would laugh their frozen asses off if they knew what danes have been reduced to.

Coming back home to the US feels like HEAVEN, even with the current laws regarding our tools.

Just to be fair I want to add that bladed weapons such as swords, axes and other kind of decorational blades can be kept in unlimited amounts in your own home, you just have to apply for a permit (which is free and automatically granted if you have never done any crimes involving violent behavior)

Reluctantly Danish :grumpy:

No offense to Denmark, I love the Danish. Nor any offense to any other country with tough knife laws.

But,

This is the USA, All Men Are Created Equal. In the USA theres a Constitutional as well as a (IMO) God given right to keep and bear arms. Unfortunately some people here seem to think they are more equal than others.

BTW, Sounds like the laws in Denmark aren't that far off from a few States here!

It's the modern urban dweller's PC mindset. There are objects all around that can be used as weapons. Rocks, tire irons, beer bottles, wooden sticks, pool sticks, the silverware on the resturant table, the chair you're sitting on, the pen the waiter just gave you to sign with, shall I go on?
A normal object becomes a "weapon" in court if used as such. But now, knives have that label, and it has stuck.
I think everyone should carry a knife, everywhere, even airplanes. The TSA keeps us "safe" in the air, but not if we crash or blow up at our arrival (Russian attack).

All these insane laws have been made because a couple of persons have been perforated by some brainless idiots over the last many years. Instead of making people ACTIONS illegal and prosecute them for that, they have made a TOOL used by many people ILLEGAL, and now LOTS of carpenters, hunters, fishermen etc that forgot they had the knife in a box in the trunk or in the door pocket they are all of a sudden LAW BREAKERS. But the idiots that do not give a damn about the laws are ofcourse not affected.

Standard feel-good reflexive reaction to high-publicity crimes by politicians all the world over. And utterly useless at doing anything but negatively impacting law-abiding citizens, considering how creative humans are when it comes to killing or hurting each other.

i live in israel and in here
no fixed blades, no locking blades, no non locking blades which can be locked in anyway possible ;1 (in other words if you have a semi sharp broken in half peace of wood the officer can say its a knife that locks by your hand ;1)
no nothing
i the never did anything wrong and if attacked by knife will have to defend myself with my fists most propubly will be thrown into jail till my father comes and pays the police off only for having a vic minichamp
while in the school i used to go to many pieces of shit had locking knives on them 24/7 and they never eeveer used them for anything than stabing people will never get cought by police now how lovely is that

the main idea of the laws is good... but the thing is just like they give licence to people to carry guns they should do the same for knives, if you are a GOOD person that will never ever stab someone not even for self defense then you can handle a knife if not that means you will most propably stab someone and shouldnt have a knife as simple as posible, and by the way , if somebody wants to stab someone he can go home and bring a 10" kitchen knife and not an edc folder ;1

No offense to Denmark, I love the Danish. Nor any offense to any other country with tough knife laws.

But,

This is the USA, All Men Are Created Equal. In the USA theres a Constitutional as well as a (IMO) God given right to keep and bear arms. Unfortunately some people here seem to think they are more equal than others.

BTW, Sounds like the laws in Denmark aren't that far off from a few States here!

the Constitution was the result of armed resistance against tyranic oppressors, right? just sayin :D

i'm lucky enough to live in a place where i'm not told to refrain from doing things i want. if it wasn't that way, change would come quick. everybody has to draw their own line in the sand, it blows my mind how close to their feet some are willing to draw it.

the worst part about laws so painfully stupid is that they rob valid laws of their legitimacy. i mean, they make the laws too difficult to comply with and you stop trying all together :(

sorry to hear you have it so bad, over there.

I think everyone should carry a knife, everywhere, even airplanes. The TSA keeps us "safe" in the air, but not if we crash or blow up at our arrival (Russian attack).

Just imagine if like in the old west we all wore handguns, even on planes. Terrorists would definetly have to think twice before trying to take a plan full of pistol packing people.

Back in the days when we all carried weapons be it guns, swords etc. There was no such thing as terrorism. Terrorism evolved from the environment created by unarmed masses. Nothing is more perfect for a criminal environment than to be surrounded by unarmed passive people.

Back in the days when we all carried weapons be it guns, swords etc. There was no such thing as terrorism. Terrorism evolved from the environment created by unarmed masses. Nothing is more perfect for a criminal environment than to be surrounded by unarmed passive people.

:thumbup:This!!^

Denmark is a very sick country, like most other European countries. The degree of repression varies but there is no country that can even remotely compare to most States of the Union.
Holland is - unbelievable as it sounds - relatively free with regards to knife- and gun laws. But we're subject to any politician's whim, it can change from day to day.

:thumbup: Perfectly said!

In Norway you have no buisness carrying a knife, no matter the size and locking mechanism, fixed or folded unless you have a good reason for it. That means fishing, hunting, camping are all kosher reasons, but carrying a knife just because it`s handy to have one is illegal. Also forbidden to carry one in public. That means everywhere other people are. In the capital Oslo these rules are srictly enforced, and last year a cab driver got a 10 000 NOK ~ 1700 USD fine for sitting on a park bench and slicing an apple with a no 4 Opinel.

This week I`ve been follwing the news closely and there were 6 stabbings in my city 4 of them were with kitchen knives, and all of the involved were previously known by the police (criminals, drugaddicts/dealers).

I personally live by the "don`t get caught" law. I`m a fresh young healty, both mentally and physically man. I have never been stopped by the police, I`ve been working in the Navy for a couple of years now, I rarely drink, don`t smoke and keep myself out of trouble. I belive I can decide for myself if I am able to carry such a handy useful tool as a knife then I will do it. Currently I edc a Leatherman Fuse in the nylon sheath on my belt, a classic SAK on my keys and either a Cadet or a Pioneer in my pocket. Even in public, in stores and other places, I have never gotten a comment over if I was planning to kill someone or anything like that. Most people don`t care that they can`t carry knives, and they don`t see the practicality in them. In fact I`ve never met one person that was into knives like me. Rarely anyone in the Navy carries a knife, and those who do carry som POS Gerber, Winchester or S&W and so on.

I don`t want to rant on, but Norway truly is the last soviet state in the world. There is so much wrong with the government here that I am seriously considering emigrating once I`m done with my extended education. Like so many before me.

Last edited:
One of the reason we founded Knife Rights in 2006 was that I saw what was happening elsewhere in the world and realized that without a dedicated grassroots knife owners organization we could well end up in the same place.

There are many places in the U.S. with very restrictive knife laws and ordinances. Most are less than 50 years old and many have been passed in the last decade or two. Then we have instances of overzealous enforcement and prosecution such as is occurring in New York City. So far this year we have seen a number of attempts to pass more restrictive state laws. We beat back one, but we still have work cut out for us.

Please support our fight, because otherwise we could easily be far worse. One only has to look across the oceans to see how bad it can become. The only rights you have are ones you are willing to fight for. We will do the fighting, and we have proved we can be successful, but you must provide the funds that allow us to do so.

All my life I have carried a pocket knife. Now they can only be sold to those over 18 in my area and perish the thought of a school kid with a knife in his pocket.

I can't get into my county court house with my small Swiss Officer's Knife. Also can't carry it onto a plane where I used to use the scissors to snip open the smoked almonds. I guess it doesn't matter since they no longer pass out the smoked almonds.

I flew for years with a Silver Falcon in my briefcase. In later years I turned it on edge and placed it among pens and pencils, then quit carrying it for fear of losing it.

There should be no knife laws. Only that you can't carry a katana or 18in machete in urban areas(that would cause panic and what are you going to use a sword for in the city anyways?) Its stupid that the government tries to limit the length/type/ locking mechanisms of knives. criminals are always going to have their weapons. All that law did was cost me tax dollars and make it much harder for me to open my mail and slice an apple.

my view is we have the right to bear arms AND tools. Anything can be a deadly weapon. I can guarantee if you attacked me with a knife and I pulled out my 12lb biology book to defend myself we would both be going to the hospital.

It is a shame that carrying something is a criminal offence. Mandatory sentencing for crimes committed with a knife, but no restrictions on possession or carry.

I will disagree on one point though. Terrorism has always eisted in one form or another.

Back