Your advice needed on choosing a couple of RATs.

Hi gentlemen.

First post here and I'll try to keep this short and simple: I dont have a lot of money to spend but need a more dependable setup than what I currently have as the spring & summer seasons are here.

I have been using a kabar marine hunting knife for camp and backpacking until it broke at the handle a few weeks ago after some chopping. This is the third "big" knife I've gone through in the past two years (I'm really not that hard on my knives). I have been using cheap linerlock folders for smaller camp chores and edc usage but would much prefer a smaller fixed blade (under 3.5 inches) that I can really rely on and keep for years. I'm old enough now to accept (finally) the adage about paying for quality first saves some dough in the long-run. After a week of research rat cutlery appears to be the no bullshit choice.

Since I can't try the rats out first before I buy, I'd appreciate some advice from you RAT experts on the best setup for my needs.

I am looking for the cover-all-my-bases rat duo:

1) a good smaller rat that can be carried for edc and used for more intricate camp tasks.

2) a big brother and true backpacking blade for the bigger jobs: big slicer, some chopping, some batonning etc.

I wish I could afford three or four rats but I just can't and I will have to settle for two. I was thinking of a few combinations:

a) rc3 and rc4
b) rc3 and rc5
c) izula and rc4
d) izula and rc5
e) izula and rc3

I have to admit that the rc5 looks very appealing as a humvee among jeeps but is it realistically too much of a knife for backpacking and around the camp chores? If I left my smaller knife home and just had the rc5 to work with would I be sorry if I had to use it for all around camp tasks and food prep for a few nights?

The rc6 seems a bit long for my taste and from my research it appears that the rc4 or 5 can do 90% of what the rc6 can, in a smaller package.

I'd guess you get these questions a lot (I could not figure out how to use the search feature) but would appreciate some opinions on what direction to head in as well as the best place to purchase.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the infestation...

Add the Izy & 3 combo, I like my 4, but edc the Izy and use the 3 the most.

However, you should be happy with any combo you listed. The RAT wrnty. is the best in the business.

Welcome to the infestation...

Add the Izy & 3 combo, I like my 4, but edc the Izy and use the 3 the most.

However, you should be happy with any combo you listed. The RAT wrnty. is the best in the business.

Hi Jeff, thank you for the advice and input. I will add the izula and 3 as a choice above. I think the izula will wind up in my pocket regardless of what I decide to purchase.

Seriously, choosing names for my children was not this hard ;)

No worries! Again welcome & I forsee a bunch of suggestions coming in for you. RAT knives are great! Bet you a buck you don't stop at 2 !

It sounds to me like the Izula and RC5 would be a good option. The RC5 might be a little overkill, but I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. But like others have said, you'll be pleased with any choice you make, RAT's are great knives, and the company behind the blade is second to none. If you can see yourself being able to afford a third one down the road, then I'd say get the Izula and RC5 right now, and later add the RC3 to your group. That will cover pretty much anything you'll run into, Izula for small work, RC3 for medium-large work, and RC5 for everything else.

Just my $0.02 though..... And welcome to the RAT family! :thumbup: :thumbup: :)

I think the 5 will probably be a little too much knife for your purposes. Personally I think an rc-3, rc-6 combo would do well for you. The six is still a really good slicer and it is big enough for a little chopping. The rc-3 is jut a great all purpose super slicer and is perfect for carry. I use my izula as an every day carry but out in the bush I'd rather have my rc-3 on me. In my opinion I think that there is a little too much overlap with an rc-3 rc-4 combo (although the rc-4 is a great multi-purpose blade).
SO... my thoughts...RC-3, RC-6. Good luck finding the right combo...you made the right decision in coming to RAT! :thumbup:

The RC5 is a BAMF, but I wouldnt want to take it backpacking. Too heavy.

I would suggest the Izula and RC6, but the next best is an Izula and RC4. Both bigger knives are light enough for backpacking and the little bit extra length on the 6 would help batonning longer pieces of wood. And the izula is pretty much amazing all around for everything else.

I only have two RC blades at the moment and they are quite a pair. An RC4 and Izula. I hope to get a 6 soon.

As far as the small knife goes, it depends on your tastes. The Izula is great for EDC, but if you don't mind the extra size, the RC-3 is fantastic. If you've never carried a fixed blade alot, it might get annoying having it on your belt all the time.

The big knife...... depends on what you plan to do with it the most. The RC-6 is a better slicer than the RC-5 but the 5 would split wood and disect dragons better.

The 4 is the perfect "solo" blade, but I personally would discount it as a "bigger" blade in a pair.

For me, I would want a RC-6 and an Izula.

For me, it would be the IZULA--carries anywhere. and the RC 4 because it will DO anything you ask of it.

I own knives worth anything from $30 to $1000, and yet I can honestly say that the RC4 is the single most useful knife I own. It will do almost anything. If you get an RC4 and any other Rat Cutlery product you'll have a great combo!

Thank you all for the continued input.

One thing is for certain is that I am picking up the Izula.

At this point, the jury is still out on its partner as I wasn't expecting such an overwhelming push for the rc-6 (which I had canceled out in my mind due to its length). So its time for more research on my end on the rc-6 since it looks to be a favorite.

I wish there was some video out there on the rc-5 but can't find too much info anywhere.

Why isnt there more love for the 4? (edit: just saw XMPs post above :))

Again, many thanks.

I'd say go for the Izula and the RC-6. OR maybe the RC-3 and RC-6. The RC-6 may sound a little long but it's balanced perfectly and is still lighter than the RC-5. One of your requirements for the larger knife was a slicer and the flat grind of the RC-6 would excel over the the thick saber grind of the RC-5 in that department. Let us know which combo you choose :)

I think I cross posted while you were posting your last entry. So I'll just repeat myself: the RC4 is a fantastic knife. It is small enough to be handy and not a pain to carry on your belt or gear; yet it is big enough to handle nearly anything you'll throw at it. If you are set on the Izula pair it with an RC4, you won't be sorry.

A quick reply to your last post....If was forced to keep only one of my RATs it would be the RC-4. If you were after one general outdoors knife that or the RC-5 would be the one I recommend. But since you are interested in a combo I think the RC-6 would complement your Izula nicely.

One thing first. And I am not trying to steer you away from RAT by any means. The Kabar knife isnt covered in a warranty? That would really suprise me as Kabar is a stand-up company. I would try and contact them to see if they can send you a replacement and then order a RAT to satisfy your other blade needs.

My only two RATS I own are the RC-3mil and RC-4. I love them both. The 3 is my EDC now, and the 4 get taken on hikes. I love how it isnt too heavy and thus it gets taken along. Where my BK-7 stays on the shelf unless I am going out for awhile and then I need to decide on what to bring.
I will eventually get a RC-6 but for now I will wait because that department is covered by a BK-7 and a Bush Camp from Knives of Alaska.
One important question you have to ask is this: what would you like to carry backpacking? Axe, folder, and medium fixed blade? Bigg Choppa, small fixed blade, SAK? Or Saw, medium fixed blade and Multitool?
I havent answered that question myself to be honest b/c I am still learning what I like best and not in any shape or form a pro at this. I'm still learning.
I am leaning toward the axe, RC4, and multitool. But thats the fun I guess, figuring out what best suits you. Either way, RAT is one hell of a company and makes a quality knife!

One thing first. And I am not trying to steer you away from RAT by any means. The Kabar knife isnt covered in a warranty? That would really suprise me as Kabar is a stand-up company. I would try and contact them to see if they can send you a replacement and then order a RAT to satisfy your other blade needs.

My only two RATS I own are the RC-3mil and RC-4. I love them both. The 3 is my EDC now, and the 4 get taken on hikes. I love how it isnt too heavy and thus it gets taken along. Where my BK-7 stays on the shelf unless I am going out for awhile and then I need to decide on what to bring.
I will eventually get a RC-6 but for now I will wait because that department is covered by a BK-7 and a Bush Camp from Knives of Alaska.
One important question you have to ask is this: what would you like to carry backpacking? Axe, folder, and medium fixed blade? Bigg Choppa, small fixed blade, SAK? Or Saw, medium fixed blade and Multitool?
I havent answered that question myself to be honest b/c I am still learning what I like best and not in any shape or form a pro at this. I'm still learning.
I am leaning toward the axe, RC4, and multitool. But thats the fun I guess, figuring out what best suits you. Either way, RAT is one hell of a company and makes a quality knife!

Hi Milani, thank you for the thorough response.

To be honest, I never even thought about warrantying out the kabar but that is a great suggestion. With that said, I wouldn't carry it again.

As far as what I carry, good point: I always carry a multitool (and have used the saw many times) and I don't plan on an axe/hatchet. Seems that it would be too heavy and have never had a situation where it was totally necessary. Honestly I've never had a situation that one of my knives could not handle... Good point on figuring out what I really need. While a bit overwhelming, it is very fun figuring this all out, I agree!

Well I can see how this whole thread may wind up being a mute point as its starting to look like I'll wind up owning three or four of these. I might start putting up some of my other toys to free up the funds :eek:

Quick question though: does the RC-6 come with canvas handles?

They come with the same micarta handles as the RC-4 (linen I think?) But I think someone on here switched their RC-6 handles with the canvas ones off their RC-5 without too much trouble. Even more incentive to get both :)

Back