Your advice needed on choosing a couple of RATs.

I'd go with the RC-6 and RC-3.

None of the current RCs are really choppers, but the 6 is as close as it gets right now, and is still a good knife for bigger chores and a good slicer.

For woods chores, I'd prefer the RC-3 over the Izula because most of the outdoors chores will probably be done with that, and it's easier with real handles. The Izula is a better EDC most likely. Different jobs.

If you are getting two knives the RC-6 and the RC-3 would be a good way to go; However the all purpose knife has to be the RC-4. You may also want to plan ahead and order the RC-5, its a great knife too.

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop

Here's a little 4-Love. The RC-4 is by all means my very favorite knife!. Perfect in all respects. -well Ok, thats a bit much. but I do love it. Enough knife to handle anything you throw at it. Little short for the chopping event, but just grab a piece of wood and beat it through whatever's in front of you. It's up to the task. yet small enough for comfort carry. If I had to get stuck in the bush, I'd be happy with my RC-4 and my Izuzla for the finer work. no problem. But if your task warrant a direct swing chopper the 6 is the way to go. I have a 5 and it does chop, but the bulk is balanced and doesn't effectively deliver for a straight up chopper. IMHO

in any case, pick the two that your guts tell you to. you'll wind up saving for the others as we all do. Once you go RAT, you never go back.

I'd go for the Izula and a 6 if I were you. They can do just about anything that you would want to do.

However the all purpose knife has to be the RC-4.

I couldn't agree more. I'll pack/use a hatchet, axe or saw for anything other than minor wood cutting tasks. I learned the hard way (by being forced to use a SOG Field Pup to whittle through a 8 inch diameter pine felled by heavy snow and wind), that one should plan to cut wood... with a more substantial tool than a knife.

Expect the unexpected because it is expecting you to be unprepared.

Well guys, just placed my order (yes at 3:30am) and am very excited. The waiting over the next fews days will surely be torture :grumpy:

In the end, after giving it almost too much thought and based on my past usage, I couldn't justify needing any more knife than the RC-4 and can maybe only remember a couple of times out where I wished I had a larger or thicker blade, but, I never "needed" one.

So, for my camping blade, I went for the RC-4 in plain edge, canvas scales and the tan blade - really love the look of those colors and I think it will be rather visible if dropped without having to resort to blaze orange.

For EDC it was an easier choice. I went for a black Izula that will get some coyote brown cord. In addition to the Izula I was VERY close to ordering the RC-3mil to belt carry or always keep in my EDC bag (state knife laws prevent me from carrying the RC-4 - no sharps over four inches) but at the last minute decided against it. It still seems like to be a wonderful addition and I might just give a call tomorrow and have them add it on ;)

As for the RC-5 and 6, well I would bet that once I have played around with my new toys for a while, the RAT bug will bite again... especially after there are more reviews up on the 5.

A big thank you again to all who offered up advice. This is by far one of the friendliest and most helpful forums I've ever come across. Thanks!

TrailWolf,

While knife choice is very personal and dictated by the task(s) at hand, I feel that based on your stated needs, you will be happy with your choices. :thumbup:

For what it's worth, I believe that the RC-4's come with linen Micarta, not canvas. Someone will surely/soon correct me if I am mistaken. :p

Last edited:
Sounds like you made a good selection! Hope you enjoy, and don't worry about what you didn't get. RAT's are a wonderful addiction, you'll be buying more before you know it! :D

A bit late to the discussion but, IMO, you made a pretty sensible choice. I posted yesterday on my almost accidental discovery of the RC-4 (link here should you be inclined: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637550) and, likewise, I've found about 4" of cutting edge to be just about the best, overall compromise for my personal needs, experience and current skill set.

I've had very well made 3" fixed blades (perhaps even a hair longer) in the past and on one occasion, while batoning, I managed to severely ding the very tip (and this blade was 3V and well hardened). This experience, coupled with some of the general difficulty I was having with medium to larger pieces of wood, convinced me that I needed something about an inch bigger. On the flip, 5 and 6 inches, again for me, would be overkill as my needs are backpacking, bushcrafting, camping and (should TSHTF), I guess all around survival. So weight does factor in a bit.

I realize it's been noted already but I've found the following triad --given my current needs and skill set-- to fit just about every circumstance I've encountered out in rural settings:

1. A Wetterlings Large Hunters Axe (not the small one, the 19" long one)
2. A 3.5 to 4.5 inch fixed blade of decent quality and reliable build (now an RC-4 for me!)
3. A small folder (SAK) and/or light multi-tool.

Hope this helps a bit more? And yes, I agree, this has been a very welcoming forum ...

Well guys, just placed my order (yes at 3:30am) and am very excited. The waiting over the next fews days will surely be torture :grumpy:

In the end, after giving it almost too much thought and based on my past usage, I couldn't justify needing any more knife than the RC-4 and can maybe only remember a couple of times out where I wished I had a larger or thicker blade, but, I never "needed" one.

So, for my camping blade, I went for the RC-4 in plain edge, canvas scales and the tan blade - really love the look of those colors and I think it will be rather visible if dropped without having to resort to blaze orange.

For EDC it was an easier choice. I went for a black Izula that will get some coyote brown cord. In addition to the Izula I was VERY close to ordering the RC-3mil to belt carry or always keep in my EDC bag (state knife laws prevent me from carrying the RC-4 - no sharps over four inches) but at the last minute decided against it. It still seems like to be a wonderful addition and I might just give a call tomorrow and have them add it on ;)

As for the RC-5 and 6, well I would bet that once I have played around with my new toys for a while, the RAT bug will bite again... especially after there are more reviews up on the 5.

A big thank you again to all who offered up advice. This is by far one of the friendliest and most helpful forums I've ever come across. Thanks!

Good choices!:thumbup: You won't be sorry. Enjoy them!

Thanks guys - really excited.

Just got an email from my girlfriend (she's been a poor bystander in the whirlwind that is my current RAT obsession) with some wonderful news: all on her own she ordered me the RC-3 military from knifecenter for my edc bag. I love this woman :eek:

Its coming USPS Priority so hopefully should be here tomorrow, a few days before my izula and RC-4, which went out UPS.

I can't wait...

Thanks guys - really excited.

Just got an email from my girlfriend (she's been a poor bystander in the whirlwind that is my current RAT obsession) with some wonderful news: all on her own she ordered me the RC-3 military from knifecenter for my edc bag. I love this woman :eek:

Its coming USPS Priority so hopefully should be here tomorrow, a few days before my izula and RC-4, which went out UPS.

I can't wait...

I just got a MIL today and it's really sweet. Very light and the black looks great with the canvas.

Your gonna love it.

I just got a MIL today and it's really sweet. Very light and the black looks great with the canvas.

Your gonna love it.

Enjoy and thanks - looking forward to it!!!

How are you liking the sharpened glass breaker?

Is it really sharp or just pointed? That's the only thing I'm worried about - don't want to jab myself when in reverse grip or have it poke through my edc bag. Might have to smack it a few times to dull it out... ;)

Back