Your "All Time Fav" SOG Knife?

Cheers johnu2,
I am Rapt with this one, mind you, some of the other knives shown here are bloody nice too.

...would have to be the SOG Seal Pup. I have used as a tactical knife on my SWAT vest to a survial knife for field us and it was my fixed blade for all of my deployments to Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Djoubuti (Africa), and Iraq. It has done more than a knife should and still looks good. It is now my go to blade for camping, canoeing or boating since I have retired from the AF. Great knife! :thumbup:

AFCOP82

nice, have one exact Mar myself.
no complaint's about the fine knife, but...
it's a pain having to clean out the green colored build-up of verdigris emitting from beneath the sheath's brass coated metal fittings coming in contact with the leather.

nice, have one exact Mar myself.
no complaint's about the fine knife, but...
it's a pain having to clean out the green colored build-up of verdigris emitting from beneath the sheath's brass coated metal fittings coming in contact with the leather.

Agreed..but, I get the this paticular knife out probably too often to allow this to happen.
I would DEARLY love to cabinet my knives and show the world ..but could you imagine some young punk burgling your house and window shopping amoungst your most precious collection!!!! I dont know how I would get over not getting hold of his neck...and just ... just squeezing it a little lol.
I just find the knife just sits back in my hand so nicely-I traded this knife with a collector friend of mine, in the end I paid a bit dearly for it-but I wouldnt get another like it in a hurry, and so that makes me just very happy that I now own it.... gees it such a mean blade isnt it?

...would have to be the SOG Seal Pup. I have used as a tactical knife on my SWAT vest to a survial knife for field us and it was my fixed blade for all of my deployments to Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Djoubuti (Africa), and Iraq. It has done more than a knife should and still looks good. It is now my go to blade for camping, canoeing or boating since I have retired from the AF. Great knife! :thumbup:

AFCOP82

Can only imagine the attachment to the knife you have after carrying it through all that, that would be a pretty special knife to you then...have you got a photo of it at all?-be nice to see it after its been through all that.
Duncan.

The dimunitive, unheralded, unassuming, understated, and altogether unappreciated SOG Blink is the best knife I've ever owned. It's small and flat enough to be carried in any situation, be it work or play. As a carpenter's companion, it's second to none for sharpening a pencil to shaving wood or cutting rope; as a hunter's buddy, there's no game on the North American continent that it can't gut; as a defensive tool, well, if we are being honest, it is something that most of us will never needin a lifetime. A drop of Rem Oil with teflon in the action, and it's faster than lightning to deploy one-handed. It was my first assisted opening knife, and I haven't purchased anything other than AO knives since.

I like collecting knives as much as the next guy, especially SOGs, but if I had to own only one, it would be the Blink.

i got me the Mar bowie some time before the Sog Knives S1 Bowie.
initially felt guilty for having preffered the S1 for it's more closer likeness to the original 'Nam presentation bowie.
but that was before i finally decided that the late Al Mar had probably decided to "improve" it's handling properties over the original "nam versions...
incidently, there were 2 other guard configurations and handle dimensions for the Mar bowie, prior to this last most commonly seen version.

i got me the Mar bowie some time before the Sog Knives S1 Bowie.
initially felt guilty for having preffered the S1 for it's more closer likeness to the original 'Nam presentation bowie.
but that was before i finally decided that the late Al Mar had probably decided to "improve" it's handling properties over the original "nam versions...
incidently, there were 2 other guard configurations and handle dimensions for the Mar bowie, prior to this last most commonly seen version.

The sog S1 & S2 are awesome knives, and to be honest I do not own either the S1 or the S2..and and would love to have them with my earlier Al Mar and try and sort out which would be the favourite!!...I couldnt imagine that being an easy task to be honest.
Thats interesting about the 2 other versions-do you know what year these were done?..or even better-have photos?
The same persom whom I traded to get this knife has the earlier Al MAR Alaskan Bowie-man, that sucker is a KNIFE!!!

unfortunately all searches have drawn a blank.
anyhow, one of the early guards was much like the SOG Knives s-1s but for some very slight milling of the brass guard with an inward invertion by which both guard ends were faced towards the handle rather than outwards towards the point.
the other was much like the standard pattern you own, only that the top guard end was stright.
this feature was meant to facilitate blade orientation as well as being a thumb rest of sorts.
the full belly mid section of the handle wasn't there initially, it was pretty level with the finger grooves.
and standard al mar SOG SF had handles of either wood, leather and micarta
-www.ohyasuya.co.jp/edge/rare-japanese/sub/alsp011.jpg
btw, the seki hattori TV series is absolutely gorgeous too.
-www.rakuten.co.jp/v-road/436857/437879/442785/442807/#381092
and yes, the Al Mar Alaskan is absolutely massive!

Last edited:
Still we do love the classic bowie shape eh? From the S1 Bowie to the S2 Trident to today's Tech Bowie, Super Bowie and whatnot, the shape is still there - love it or hate it!

I have to admit one of my fav folders was the original Tomcat. I didn't have any idea how massive it was until I saw a video of someone holding it on youtube...

"...one of my fav folders was the original Tomcat..."

uh, pardon me; but did you just say that the tomcat WAS one of your favorites??!
i'll have you know that there folder still IS a real classic hottie with older circles. <lol>
and uh, if there's one exception where size and weight really didn't matter for a folder, i'm guessing that the first tomcats could have been made a foot long and it still would have been largely considered a huge success in the eyes of sog bowie pattern aficionados.
it's a really well made folder and could have been made far more classier without the help of the rather unrefined kraton scales...

Last edited:
Ah yes. Must have got the tenses wrong! :D It IS one of my favorites and will be one of my all-time favorites!

Indeed a bad ass large mean folding bowie. Such a massive heavy thing would not break down that easily right? I hear that there is a solid "ker-lunk" when you open the thing. Ok that's exaggerating.. Maybe a solid "clunk" when you open it. I still look forward to owning one! :p

Haha you probably saw my video, I think I'm the only one with a video of the Tomcat 1 at the moment.

You're right, it does make a solid clunk sound when you open and close it. The back lock on the thing is really really beefy! And the blade is really thick, thicker than most of my fixed blades

Ooooh, I've been eyeing the TomCat for a while. Is the big one still available? That is one good looking folder.

The Tomcat I has been discontinued but its current iteration, the Tomcat III is available.. It's got a similar blade shape but the handle is a little different in design

u know, the only other folder that compares well in size for folders from that early period, would be the the Al Mar Knives SERE folder.
nice as it was, it imo, never did match up to the solid construction of the sog Tom Cat.
there was a spear point folder which made up the other half of the TC, think it was named the Stingray (??).
exact same built, but for its pointy blade type.

I thought the Stingray was just a smaller version of the Tomcat.. Umm... am I wrong?

I liked the folding Team Leader they made for awhile back in the 1980's, it's a shame that they discontinued making it.

Back