Your backpacking knives for 2019!?

Back issues suck.

I've got a compressed disk and some other chronic issues.

My combination has been PT, chiro, gym, ruthlessly reviews checklist to drive packweight way down and an external frame pack to off load my spine.

Hope you find a combination that works for you!

I like the ATK knife. Can you tell me more about it?
It's really just a small utility knife, primarily meant to be worn on its cord as a neck knife, but it can be configured for wearing on your belt. The blade is 2.25", just 6" overall in length, and it's CPM S35VN. It weighs 1.7 ounces. The Kydex sheath allows the knife to be inserted in either direction so it is easy to draw and re-sheath. The Backpacker with the paracord cord wrap is similar, and weighs only 2.5 ounces, though it is designed really well for multiple uses as a solid small fixed blade. White River is proving to be a really good American-made knife company.

I have a Rainier Knives Fast Pak coming.
I've heard good things about them. Still haven't decided if I'll do a cord wrap, or make some thin G 10 scales for it.

I like to do the Continental Divide in the Wind River range.
Base camp is close to 10,000 ft, so I am really sucking air if I don't watch my gear weight.
Not to mention, I'm closing in on 60.

I am actually messing around with a couple of "lightweight hiker" knives presently. Both will have the permanently epoxies in place paracord handle with a bit of perhaps leather underneath to "round out" the handle a tad and will be made from .110 thick steel. One is in 110W8 and the other in AEB-L. The are pretty tough steels so no concern about taking then down that thin. They are both a bit longer than say the White river. The 115W8 blade is over 4 inches long and like 1 1/8 or so wide. Pictures to follow maybe.

Would kill to see some pictures of those bad boys!

Can you get a full four finger grip on the ATK? I thought about picking one up and doing a paracord wrap on it. It looks like it would be a beautiful little utility knife!
Three at best, in my hands. I use it like I would a razor knife, but I like it more because it's a super sharp small fixed blade. No jimping on the spine, though. That would help some if you needed leverage in a cut. IMG_0490.jpg

Using the ATK as a razor knife works for me (vs some sort of power cutter). But I generally shy away from buying knives with either para cord wraps or no handles. I know from experience that I simply won't carry them and use as a desk knife which I have plenty of already.

7B90FF53-6E78-4678-9A63-F57454E18AF4.jpeg I would just take 2 of my EDC’s. A CUDA MAXX with Stellite 6-K blade and a SAK Waiter with saw.

They are merely profiles at this point, but here you go. The top one is AEB-L , the middle the 115W8 and the bottom is a "scrap pile" project made from san mai that I forged from some leftover 1084/15N20 damascus for the cladding and a spare piece of the 115W8 for the core. I may have gone too thin forging the edge, but it was done for fun. Sorry about the size. The "full image was apparently a little too big for the system.
IMG_0020 (1).jpg

Last edited:
upload_2019-2-19_19-10-8.jpegHere’s what I call, my mountain tomahawk. It’s in A8 mod at 56 rc. G10 handles. I’ll post a few more pics! It’s a really heavy duty design, not meant for lightweight backpacking. But it is something I probably will carry.

I think that Larrin and the guys have gotten hold of some A8Mod and are going to see what kind of mischief they can do with it.
View attachment 1076841Here’s what I call, my mountain tomahawk. It’s in A8 mod at 56 rc. G10 handles. I’ll post a few more pics! It’s a really heavy duty design, not meant for lightweight backpacking. But it is something I probably will carry.

I think that Larrin and the guys have gotten hold of some A8Mod and are going to see what kind of mischief they can do with it.
That’s what I hear! I’ve been trying to work out a good heat treat for it! Seems really tough so far. But honestly, I think I like ztuff more. It’s just more expensive.

I haven’t tried z-tuff, just 3v. It seems like the Zapp PM steels are almost out of reach price wise unless you can buy the minimum 300 pound order directly from Zapp and even then, it is still like almost 2.5 times what say L6 costs.
That’s what I hear! I’ve been trying to work out a good heat treat for it! Seems really tough so far. But honestly, I think I like ztuff more. It’s just more expensive.

The little ZT has me itching again. Believe it's the 022. It's small and should be handy. The handle length however may be longer than I think a little knife should have at this point in time.

I haven’t tried z-tuff, just 3v. It seems like the Zapp PM steels are almost out of reach price wise unless you can buy the minimum 300 pound order directly from Zapp and even then, it is still like almost 2.5 times what say L6 costs.
That’s the sad thing!! I made a ztuff test blade for myself, and I’m finding it comparable to 3v, but quite a bit tougher! I really like the steel, but I think A8 mod will be a cheaper alternative! But it’s not readily available.

I could probably get by with a SAK Fieldmaster on most of my day hikes, but I always carry something like this when I head out... they make me happy.

Dave Beck Trail Dog SERE6
yuM9chF.jpg

Lon Humphrey Ranger
vHpcAez.jpg

Back