Your backpacking knives for 2019!?

Yep, this one--Lon Humphrey 3v Kephart

R8CMpUI.jpg
Is that one in 3/32? I think he made a limited number of them in 3/32.

I have Fiddlebacks, so I get why, but the geometry on the Humphrey is great... and in camp, I have no worry about using it for heavier duty.
I know what you mean,I have two of his Brut de Forge knives, stout, but ground from near the spine makes the edge very sharp but sturdy.

IMG_0189.JPG

The Bottom one is from Lon, a leaf shape pattern, wonder how that would be for a backpacking or Hiking knife? Too large or heavy? I guess a Mora would be a better backpack knife, but is the original question about what knife is better for traveling light, or what we would use on short trips or wandering into the woods

I know there are a lot of threads about the benefits of light vs heavy, and what makes backpacking vs day hikes or wandering in the woods, but everyone's choice is a reflection of their reasoning and how they enjoy the outdoors. The point is to get out there, someone mentioned in another thread how Kephart himself encouraged others to get back to the woods to find themselves.

Last edited:
The Bottom one is from Lon, a leaf shape pattern,would wonder how that would be for a backpacking or Hiking knife? Too large or heavy?

IMO, the primary reason to bump up from a folder to a fixed blade for backpacking is to make wood shavings and to split kindling for fires. To me (and opinions vary wildly on this), backpacking implies using other backpacking supplies like tents, stoves and modern clothing. Fires are a ton of fun and I love having them when and where appropriate (a big caveat). But if a fixed blade doesn't excel at making tinder, for me, I don't see the value of the knife.

I have trouble controlling knives like that bottom one when I'm making shavings and feather sticks. I find when making shavings that controlling the angle is very important and I have a strong preference to have the cutting edge closer to the line of my wrist.

Difficult to say without actually using them, but I tend to prefer knives with general profile of the upper knife and get frustrated with knives like the bottom one. I would strongly prefer the bottom one for processing food on a cutting board though.

View attachment 1077064

The Bottom one is from Lon, a leaf shape pattern, wonder how that would be for a backpacking or Hiking knife? Too large or heavy? I guess a Mora would be a better backpack knife, but is the original question about what knife is better for traveling light, or what we would use on short trips or wandering into the woods
Nice—I have one of his Brutes too. Sweet knife. I tend to carry a 4-6” blade, and while it’s typically overkill, I feel better with a bigger blade. The Beck is so well balanced it’s nearly weightless feeling

Spyderco Native 5 Salt. The FRN handles are light and easy to spot if the knife is dropped and the LC200N steel is perfect for holding an edge and not having to worry about rust.

Nice—I have one of his Brutes too. Sweet knife. I tend to carry a 4-6” blade, and while it’s typically overkill, I feel better with a bigger blade.
I'm in the same knife-size camp for the outdoors regardless of whether it's wandering in the woods or longer hikes. I did get the little White River Backpacker Pro which is 3.25" for times when I just don't want to carry the longer knife. I will always have a folder as well.

The fixed blade is an emergency use knife as for the most part I don't even need one. Same reason I carry first aid supplies and rain gear. Would a Mora work for me? Of course. But I just don't care for them even though I own several.

I think Pinnah's correct in that "backpacking" infers more than just carrying a day pack.

I'm in the same knife-size camp for the outdoors regardless of whether it's wandering in the woods or longer hikes. I did get the little White River Backpacker Pro which is 3.25" for times when I just don't want to carry the longer knife. I will always have a folder as well.

The fixed blade is an emergency use knife as for the most part I don't even need one. Same reason I carry first aid supplies and rain gear. Would a Mora work for me? Of course. But I just don't care for them even though I own several.

I think Pinnah's correct in that "backpacking" infers more than just carrying a day pack.

Agreed on the “backpacking” notion/practice. There’s more going on there than day hiking; and as far as utility goes, some kind of multi tool is priceless.

But I simply won’t go into the woods/ mountains without a mid sized fixed blade. I typically have my kids with me, and—while they are rare—if we are faced with some kind of animal attack, I’d like to have more than harsh language to deploy.

And besides that, I’m comfortable using the blades I posted for all sorts of tasks, including fine carving. For me, if a midsized blade can’t pull fine and heavy duty, I typically sell it.

I fully agree!
View attachment 1077064

I know there are a lot of threads about the benefits of light vs heavy, and what makes backpacking vs day hikes or wandering in the woods, but everyone's choice is a reflection of their reasoning and how they enjoy the outdoors. The point is to get out there, someone mentioned in another thread how Kephart himself encouraged others to get back to the woods to find themselves.

I got my wife a Backpacker for hiking last year. Great small fixed blade, with a nice carry system. I thought I'd pick up a Backpacker Pro next, but I also like the look of the Micarta scales on White River's M1 Caper.
W>R> Backpacker.jpg

Last edited:
I always carry more than one knife including at least one fixed blade. Sometimes a hatchet. Don't see the need to narrow it down to one perfect-do-it-all knife, but if I did it would be a fixed blade.

In over 30 years of backpacking I have never needed more than a SAK classic. And, that's almost only used for the scissors. In fact, I can't ever recall using the blade except for an ill fated attempt to carve a spoon when I forgot my spork.

Now, for fun, I carry an Adventure Sworn Mountaineer, which is essentially a Woodlore style bushcraft knife. It's really awesome but is mostly for goofing around. Well, so are almost all my knives.

I suppose if I was way out there somewhere I might think about carrying a "real" knife but then again, weight is now even more critical- so probably even less likely now that I think about it.

Can't hike or backpack anymore. The knees and hips won't allow it.

Back when I could, I had a large stockman (3 7/8 to 4 1/4 inches closed) and a 4 blade Scout/Camp knife in my pocket, and a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT on my belt.

Same as what I carried when I wasn't hiking or backpacking ... and still carry today, come to that.

The Benchmade Puukko get my attention...

It looks that could be a great option for backpacking/camping/hiking.

Benchmade Puukko + SAK (s18 - my choice - but could be a Hiker, Clipper, Climber, Camper, Super Tinker, Fieldmaster...)

My core staples are a 3"+ bk14, a 4"+ Mora Companion or a Cold Steel Canadian belt knife and a 5"+ BK15

I carry them all - even on day hikes. Plus, however many folders happen to be on my.oerson ) buried in my pack.

Back