Your best knife pic of the week!

I got a Golden Eye on the cheap here recently and I'm really enamored with it. I had pretty underwhelming expectations but gotta say it's a real sleeper. Once broken in the triad lock is amazingly smooth and the sound it makes sucking back into the handle is unlike any other knife I have. I love the lack of detents and the fall shutty action. I'm going to pick up a CF version on the next good sale.

CS has risen up the chart for me of late!!
I don't know why so many people complained about the GE when it came out. They didn't like the Spydie hole especially. Also complaints about the back lock being hard on their fingers. I'm left handed and have screwy fingers (messed up tendons). I've owned a few knives with cutouts that I just didn't enjoy because of one of those 2 things. I think the ring/ramp on the GE is brilliant. I could open it with no problem, and yes - breaks in nicely. but you've got to use it for that to happen. The GE is a great knife for the $, and mine might be the sharpest production knife I've ever gotten. Kind of sorry I sold it, it did so much right.

0tEMO4R.jpg

This is my second Tabargan (100NS) and I'm extremely pleased with it, M Mick_1KRR . The Tabargan was the knife I saw that got me into Shiros in the first place, although I wasn't able to find one in my price range 'til after I already had my F3 and 111. That first one was a drawer queen that was too pretty to use and I ended up selling it to fund my F95R which I EDC. I miss it sometimes, but have taken to selling some queens figuring I've enjoyed them for a while and want to move on to something I'll carry and use.

I bought the second knife from the guy I sold the first one to, who'd sold it as well, wanted another, bought one, bought another, then sold me the one I have now. I really like the old school vibe of this one with its 2D grippy, G10 scales and excellently heat-treated 440C blade which easily takes a wicked keen edge. I bought it to EDC and it's become a work user for me. The only minor issue with it is some light lock stick as you'd get when breaking in a BMK AXIS lock, though it's gradually lessening over time. The grip ergos are outstanding and the knife really locks into my hand--one can even choke up on the blade with the forefinger on the ricasso and thumb on the blade spine. Great clip, too, and not a pocket hog for such a large knife.

Tabargans have been out of production for about five years and are a bit rare on the secondary market but they are out there. Shiro made both simpler models with basic materials and those with more premium features concurrently. One can pay a fairly high price for one or be patient (and lucky) to find the right knife at the right price. My queen came in under 6 bills and the G10 knife in a partial trade with value under 5.

Here's the former queen...

Keyha8I.jpg

UlyT9hA.jpg

...and another shot of my G10 user.

9Hfl6Hr.jpg

This is my second Tabargan (100NS) and I'm extremely pleased with it, M Mick_1KRR . The Tabargan was the knife I saw that got me into Shiros in the first place, although I wasn't able to find one in my price range 'til after I already had my F3 and 111. That first one was a drawer queen that was too pretty to use and I ended up selling it to fund my F95R which I EDC. I miss it sometimes, but have taken to selling some queens figuring I've enjoyed them for a while and want to move on to something I'll carry and use.

I bought the second knife from the guy I sold the first one to, who'd sold it as well, wanted another, bought one, bought another, then sold me the one I have now. I really like the old school vibe of this one with its 2D grippy, G10 scales and excellently heat-treated 440C blade which easily takes a wicked keen edge. I bought it to EDC and it's become a work user for me. The only minor issue with it is some light lock stick as you'd get when breaking in a BMK AXIS lock, though it's gradually lessening over time. The grip ergos are outstanding and the knife really locks into my hand--one can even choke up on the blade with the forefinger on the ricasso and thumb on the blade spine. Great clip, too, and not a pocket hog for such a large knife.

Tabargans have been out of production for about five years and are a bit rare on the secondary market but they are out there. Shiro made both simpler models with basic materials and those with more premium features concurrently. One can pay a fairly high price for one or be patient (and lucky) to find the right knife at the right price. My queen came in under 6 bills and the G10 knife in a partial trade with value under 5.

Here's the former queen...

Keyha8I.jpg

UlyT9hA.jpg

...and another shot of my G10 user.

9Hfl6Hr.jpg
Thanks for the info and the pics mate, lovely blades. I havent looked into the specs or the way the hardware is set up on them, but by looking i'm guessing that the handle under the G10 is titanium, and i think possibly since the metal axis lock bar rides against it in the track as it locks up, there might be slight galling until it settles in. Maybe that's why a few people report a bit of lock stick, no biggie, should wear in over time if that's the case. I'll keep an eye out for them :thumbsup:

Back