Your First GEC

JohnDF

Gold Member
I thought it would be interesting to see pictures of everybody's first GEC knife. It could give us some insight as to what people found attractive or useful when they first investigated the brand. Post 'em up...

My first was the Bird Dog. I was looking for a slim single blade to carry in my watch pocket, and the dogleg pattern really struck a cord with me. I also liked the bird dog theme and the price was right. The #56 remains one of my favorite frames, so I guess I really did know exactly what I was looking for. :D

Last edited:
This was my first GEC knife, a 79 Workhorse Whittler.
29809447386_4a4646a4c1_h.jpg

My first was a #15 knifebrite, sheepsfoot main and pen. Carried it yesterday actually. The first day I got it I put it to good use. Had a ton of 3/4” recycled rubber patio mats to cut to shape. I was surprised with how well it did, and that it didn’t develop any play as it got stuck a few times and there was some wiggling required to get it out. The job dulled it pretty good but it was the factory edge and the rubber used is from old tires so there’s some metal in there. Love the knife so much, it led to a collection.

Mine was a 25 Easy Open like red the one in the middle only it wasn't a Prototype. I copied this pic from the 2009 releases on GEC's website so that must have been when I bought it.

I don't remember for sure but I think my second GEC was the orange one just below it. Both of them are long gone but not because I didn't like them.
25EOsetsm.jpg

68 Pony Jack. I don't think I ever took a photo of it. Great little knife, I've just never carried or used it. It was my first "too nice to use" knife, which is foolish either way you look at it.

When I want to carry a GEC it's usually a #12 Powderhorn Jack which I bought used and thankfully the previous owner carried it some, so I didn't have to worry about me putting the first scratch on it.

My first GEC was gifted to me by Duncan @Campbellclanman , to add to the generosity, it was his favourite knife too :) :thumbsup:

jv7M5Co.jpg

I bought my first GEC soon after, one of the first #15 Boy's Knives, but it had a fault, and the UK dealer only had the one :(

56BAp5Q.jpg

So he offered me a #66, which I gladly accepted :) :thumbsup:

MSqo0qj.jpg

My first, which is now long gone, was an 09 Esquire in stag. I was looking for a small pen knife, but the Esquire turned out to be a little too small for my tastes.

Mine was an 09 esquire. To be honest I wasn't that impressed at first, but bought a 15 just to give GEC another go, and then the bug really bit me. I now have over 30, but the esquire is still the only acrylic one that I have!

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_195932-912x647.jpg
    IMG_20190414_195932-912x647.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 13
Rewarding thread, the early days of GEC already recede into the mists of time ;):eek:

My first is the first on the left, a stainless 73 from 06/07. I remember getting the packet from the P.O. stopping off for a coffee and opening it with astonishment. A knife in a tube??? Wrapped in brown waxy paper smelling of oil:cool: Overawed by the bone and finish above all. The knife was originally a 2 blade Jack but I've never really liked large Jacks with 2 big blades so I had it 'improved' and got rid of the other blade (which had the year and pattern stamp, don't care as Cyclops is much cooler:D) Thus I have a 'unique' knife: single blade stainless 73. GEC has repaid the dreams and wishes of many, many collectors, users and enthusiasts. But, there's always the future to dream about too;)

riDrZ4C.jpg

vdvfrre.jpg

My first GEC was a #54 Big Jack with stag covers. Large spear and clip point blades, made early enough that it had a shield. Got it more than a decade ago...my how time flies.

Alas, I never used this knife and moved it. Nice enough knife, but didn't trip my trigger.

The first GEC that I actually used was a single blade #73 Scout. Still have that one, won't ever get rid of it.

My first GEC was an H20 fixed blade. It has a muskrat type clip point blade and is a natural micarta. Its a great knife in the kitchen, and good outside the house too (great beaver skinning knife). I have a few more GECs now, but I only buy GEC knives if I find a good deal, because I think theyre over priced and over rated, though they do make great knives.

Back