Your First GEC

I have always really liked GEC but just was never looking for a slipjoint when I would buy a new knife, and had briefly lost interest in traditionals. So after seeing the 44 I decided to stop putting off my GEC purchases. Now I'm searching for all the older patterns I always wanted but never pulled the trigger on, and I will never do that again because it's way cheaper to get them when they come out! I am glad this was my first GEC though. It's now one of my favorite knives, and has re-sparked my old love for traditionals.
IMG_5687.JPG

J6uyA6b.jpg

This was the first GEC I purchased. It has been such a pleasure to carry and use over the years. I love how slim the blades are, they get extremely sharp!

For eons 3 ¼” stockmans were my favorite second or Sunday go to meeting knife of choice. The GEC pony jack changed that, easy carry and very people friendly. After six years it's still my 1st choice as a sunday go to meetings, dress knife.
The pony jack introduced me to GEC and over the years I've picked up a 43 trapper, 71 bullnose, 35 churchill, and 15 beer scout.
DNccMRd.jpg

The #68 is also the reason I'm done looking at GEC's. It's been six years since the 68 was released and I have given up on a 68 Buckaroo or #42 Missouri Trader ever coming out again.

GEC is a fine knife but I'm not waiting another 5 or 6 plus years for a possibility GEC may or may not release a pattern again.

My first GEC was a #72 lockback in burnt orange bone, that I purchased back in 2010. It's a real beauty. But it arrived with very little fanfare, as I remember. It was a bit small for what I was after.

Oddly enough, my second GEC wasn't purchased for another 5 years or so. Quite a large gap in time, but I was kind of taking a hiatus from knife buying for a bit. Once I bought the #15 Boys Knife, I became totally addicted. The level of craftsmanship on this piece was utterly spectacular

olryBD0h.jpg

qd3hVO8h.jpg

My very first GEC was gifted to me by a kind member here (@rockgolfer). A #53 Furtaker.

At a knife gathering a couple of years ago, I gave it to another fella who was looking for his first GEC. Last year, at the same gathering, I noted that the fella had given it to a friend of his who he had brought along. This man was in the Army and was able to attend the campout while on leave and he was absolutely thrilled to have a quality slipjoint. He spent a lot of time whittling around the fire with that 53.

I was just happy to see it continue its journey and that it was in the hands of a service member who was getting a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Since then, I've acquired numerous other GECs and I suspect that I will acquire many more.

JatLz2U.jpg

My first GEC was very kindly gifted to me by Will Power Will Power and it's just a great 66 slim in saw cut rust red bone. I managed to lose it inside my car seat for a bit over a year but found it again last autumn. Now it brings me a lot of joy again, when I carry it.

hZRtkGf.jpg

The first one I bought myself was a 73 jack, which I don't carry that often anymore, but it's a fine knife as well, even though it came with a couple of flaws.

4CtJw4P.jpg

Last edited:
My first GEC was very kindly gifted to me by Will Power Will Power and it's just a great 66 slim in saw cut rust red bone. I managed to lose it inside my car seat for a bit over a year but found it again last autumn. Not it brings me a lot of joy again, when I carry it.

hZRtkGf.jpg

The first one I bought myself was a 73 jack, which I don't carry that often anymore, but it's a fine knife as well, even though it came with a couple of flaws.

4CtJw4P.jpg

Could start believing in miracles Žan :D Glad it reappeared. I admire the Kaiser Wilhelm II 5 Mark and Vicky Crown, The George&Dragon by the Italian engraver is one of numismatic's masterpieces, especially if you have a Proof 5 Pound coin in Gold:cool:

My first GEC actually came from this gentleman’s collection. I got second place in a GAW he ran, and @rswanson , the one who took first place, allowed me first choice. I’ve seen GEC’s all over this forum, but never thought a whole lot about them. So I thought it’d be neat to try one firsthand.

f89dcxW.jpg

This 73 Cocobolo STL kicked off a great appreciation for GEC’s and traditionals in general. It also toughened up my fingernails a bit too, haha.

And that one has rather light pulls for a 73.

And that one has rather light pulls for a 73.

I remember you telling me that too. I almost couldn’t believe it, but after a few more older GEC’s I know what they can be like. I do credit that 73 getting my thumbnails ready for the rest of them. Nowadays I can snap it open without a second thought, though at first I really had to concentrate getting the blade to the half stop. It’s served me very well since and it’s one I intend to keep with me.

lctn8dt.jpg

57MMVmS.jpg

The #83 arrived a few days before the #77's even though I paid for the #77's first. :eek:

I've used this #77 often (now retired :confused:) and the #83 remains BNIT due to the stiff lock (hard for me to close :(:mad::().
Both knives are very nice Del . Just a suggestion on making an 83's lock a little smoother that I had to do on one that I bought for a gift and would not give because of the Lock . I am sure that you have already oiled it and blown it out . I used the corner of my Wooden work bench to continually press the Latch against until it became much smoother . It felt like on mine that I was just removing an edge or blur that I could not see . I was not too unhappy about not gifting it because it has some pretty nice Stag on it and I gifted a Jigged Bone version instead .

Harry

Back