Your least favorite Swiss Army Knives

I think there's few objects as satisfying as a swiss army knife. Precision engineering, great materials and construction, and brilliant design. For me, a great Victorinox is a triumph of ingenuity. Models like the Soldier/Pioneer, Outrider, the Cybertool, or the Compact would be a bargain at five times the price.

Which makes the bad ones all the more aggravating.

So what are the Victorinox models you can't stand? You could definitely say Vic doesn't put out a truly bad model, but for me, a model like the Spartan Lite (any 91mm Lite really) shouldn't exist. The LED is weak, yet chunky and easily turns on in your pocket. This makes the Spartan - a knife that only exists to be slim - ungainly and awkward. Similarly, I think the tool that defines the Fisherman is pretty bad. The scaler might work - I've never used it - but if I doubt there's a better way to fill your SAK with stinky fish bits.

I also think many SAKs could be improved by replacing the small blade with the combo tool. Especially chunky models like a cyber tool - which has all the screw drivers you need - would really benefit. Similarly, many slim models could be slimmer still. The Compact has more function than a Spartan at the same size, for example.

Not really sure I dislike any SAK, but I find the corkscrew to be unneeded on as many models it is on. It took a bit of searching for an item w/out it for my son, that had everything I wanted. Luckily, I discovered the Fieldmaster w/the scissors, saw, and no corkscrew.

I would've said the Spartan, but my appreciation for its history mitigates the fact that I see absolutely no use for the corkscrew. I guess I'd have to say the Recruit due to the limited assortment of tools.

Aside from collecting, I find the smallest models unattractive, and difficult to carry and use comfortably. The Rambler epitomizes this category.

Aside from collecting, I find the smallest models unattractive, and difficult to carry and use comfortably. The Rambler epitomizes this category.

I guess as knives the 58 mm models are really not great. The blade is a little flimsy and really not adequate for something as basic as cutting up an apple. It works for opening a package or a letter or cutting tape or string. But at least the Rambler packs in the cap lifter/ screwdriver, and if you go for the alternative Manager, you get a pen which is definitely useful. My least favorites there would be the classic (glorified nail clippers) and the minichamp (a cuticle pusher? really?).

Oddly and contradictory, the SAK that I carry the most is one of those miniature models. That's because no larger models were ever made with a PDA stylus. :(

My least favorites there would be the classic (glorified nail clippers) and the minichamp (a cuticle pusher? really?).

The "cuticle pusher" can be used to push cuticles, but an orangewood stick works much better (softer and less likely to bruise the nail bed). The side with the nail nick holds a small amount of powder and makes a handy snuff spoon.

Hapci-fr.gif

Any of the really thick knives becomes a nuisance to carry. I like my Victorinox Spartan (2 layers) but would be willing to carry a 3 layer SAK in a belt pouch.
Anything more than 3 layers no longer qualifies as a pocket knife, in my opinion.:D

I have a love-hate relationship with my SwissChamp; I love the variety of tools, but hate the bulkiness. I have an old Ranger (a Champion without the fish scaler and magnifying glass) that sees more pocket time but the SwissChamp always travels with me.

Among those SAKs of my acquaintance, there are none I think really bad, but the Classic is my least favorite. It's too boring. Of the 58mm offerings, I prefer the Rambler for its actually usable small screwdriver and cap lifter. The extra layer is hardly noticeable. All others of that size are swell finger toys, but too lumpy in the pocket. On the other extreme, those XLT (and up:eek:) Swisschamps are gross.

Oddly and contradictory, the SAK that I carry the most is one of those miniature models. That's because no larger models were ever made with a PDA stylus. :(

What do you mean?
What is that plastic pick thing in the scales if it isn't a PDA stylus?

The SAKs I don't like:
ALL lite models, if I want a light I'll carry a quality one like my Fenix L0D or similar.
The Classic is rubbish, just an inferior version of the Manager (on one of my keyrings) or the Rambler (on my other keyring).

The SAKs I do like:
Too many to mention.

I have a love-hate relationship with my SwissChamp; I love the variety of tools, but hate the bulkiness. I have an old Ranger (a Champion without the fish scaler and magnifying glass) that sees more pocket time but the SwissChamp always travels with me.

I bought a Ranger and there was a hole in scale behind the corkscrew, so I added a stainless pin and I also put an eyeglasses screwdriver in the corkscrew. That gives me almost a Ranger Plus (missing a pen) and I really like the tool density for the size & weight. It is a very useful SAK.

Least favorite? Anything under 84 mm. IMHO knives that small are pretty useless.

Rich

I don't dislike any of them but my least favorite are the Alox models. No tweezers and toothpick, they don't come with scissors, and I guess I just really associate red cellidor with the sak. They are a great product and I totally get why they are so popular, I just really prefer the cellidor models.

Jim

A lot of hate for the 58mm models. I love them. I always have a Classic on my keys. When I travel overseas for work, it's the only knife I take, because I don't want TSA to snag my other knives. Having a knife vs not, is night and day. I hate standing there, wanting a knife and not having one, so the Classic is a big comfort. I install robot equipment, so I end up using the screwdriver to lock down cables, scissors for trimming labels, and blade for opening packages, cutting zip ties, opening blister packs. Yes, the little Classic can handle all that, and I find it very comfortable. The blade has not developed any play, either. Even if it does, there is still plenty of use left. Sure, a bigger knife is better, but the little Classic doesn't freak anyone out, which is a big plus for my line of work. I don't feel under-knifed with it at all, except when I have to cut food.

Sure, a bigger knife is better, but the little Classic doesn't freak anyone out, which is a big plus for my line of work. I don't feel under-knifed with it at all, except when I have to cut food.

A little ingenuity compensates for the small size. When splitting a bagel, for example, stick your Classic blade into the "tire tread," cut around the circumference, then grip top and bottom of the bagel and twist. Watermelon, I admit, is more of a challenge. :D

The "cuticle pusher" can be used to push cuticles, but an orangewood stick works much better (softer and less likely to bruise the nail bed). The side with the nail nick holds a small amount of powder and makes a handy snuff spoon.

Hapci-fr.gif

Yes...snuff...that's what the powder is...snuff. White, fluffy...snuff:cool:

What do you mean?
What is that plastic pick thing in the scales if it isn't a PDA stylus?

The SAKs I don't like:
ALL lite models, if I want a light I'll carry a quality one like my Fenix L0D or similar.
The Classic is rubbish, just an inferior version of the Manager (on one of my keyrings) or the Rambler (on my other keyring).

The SAKs I do like:
Too many to mention.

The Classic is the perfect size to give away to ladies as stocking stuffers, or to tuck in an Altoid Tin survival kit, or in a pipe pouch. I have never purchased one, but they always seem to show up, and I do use mine when I need something in a pinch.

Back