Your most useful tools in the shop

Did you take the safety guard off?
The other day I saw a vid of a man with half a cut off disc deep in his safety glasses and a deep scratch in his forehead. Lucky man!

Yes , some 20 years ago when I buy it . If there was steel bridge between Europe and North America that small Makita cut it in half..........lengthwise :) And never have broke cutting disc , not once , except if i catch cord with my foot and Makita fall on floor from bench:D
Lucky man ? I would say stupid men :) People watch Forged in fire and next day they buy tools and they think that they know how to use them ................scary !!
On my BIG one i keep safe guard on and I wear protection , but I rarely use it ......Now , that thing is scary !

Last edited:
My bolster tools:

Blade side conditioner for the bolsters. Its a very fine diamond file that I use to remove any burl from the bolster face that meets the blade.
Qn5H5CS.png

A stainless disc with a lot of holes at various distances. I use it to start hammering the pins, once they are domed I continue with the hammer over the railroad anvil

QFzpERI.png

w7shelx.png

I love my felt backed flat platen. It is great for creating a subtle convex because of the "give" in the felt. It's great for high grit finishing belts and it doesn't generate heat like a regular flat platen.

What glue to hold the felt onto the platen?
Thanks
Harbeer

From time to time I need leather attached to the platen and I use double sided tape, the one used for carpets, the adhesive last a lot to my surprise, like 10 removals, I usually have to change it because it starts to break with parts splitting in the platten and the leather. That's my goto solution for the platen

Pablo

I know it's not a tool per se, but my work bench/s. I've got one set up with all my power tools, drill press, mini bandsaw, etc, and the other is my hand tool / assembly bench with the vice and granite block...

Ever had to try to build a knife without a good workbench? No fun. At all.

I know it's not a tool per se, but my work bench/s. I've got one set up with all my power tools, drill press, mini bandsaw, etc, and the other is my hand tool / assembly bench with the vice and granite block...

Ever had to try to build a knife without a good workbench? No fun. At all.

Another "non tool" is ORDER, my office/shop went from administrative sales office to a full fledged shop in the lapse of 5 years, and I like to say that knifemaking grew like an infection in my office (now shop) There is not a 10" square available to work comfortable and worst, almost nothing has its place, so I spend a good amount of time hunting for my tools.

I started to realize this three years ago, but overwhelmed with work the problem got worse. So around mid 2020 I decided to significantly bump my promised dates so I can have a decent amount of time after my holidays (we're in summer here) to be able to create and restore order and dump tons of accumulated stuff.
Mid february should be the start of this process.

Pablo

I need one like that ! I wonder will it work with eyeglasses , or i don t need them with loupe ?

A pair of glasses will help space the loupe away from your eyes. If you have a strong prescription for distance or a correction for astigmatism, it’s best to wear your glasses. Otherwise a small pair of non prescription glasses will work fine. The reason for glasses with small lenses is that they can sit closer to your face and reduce eye relief problems.

I love my felt backed flat platen. It is great for creating a subtle convex because of the "give" in the felt. It's great for high grit finishing belts and it doesn't generate heat like a regular flat platen.

What quality felt are you using? If I remember correctly there are different densities etc

Back