Your most useful tools in the shop

Without question my most useful tool is my mini mill. I've saved thousands alone by using it to make a surface grinder attachment for my 2x72 and Kennedy gauge. It doesn't hurt that I got a great deal on it either. One of my best purchases ever!
20210127_080802.jpg

I bought some cheap (10€) digital callipers about a year ago, before that I only had vernier callipers. They are no good for absolute dimensions, but for making knives, where pretty much everything is relative, they work great. I use them all the time, even more so when making folders. When I need to make something more precise, I use a micrometer.

I also use a small hammer a lot - I made a very short, ~12mm handle for it, I use it for everything between centre punching and peening.

I bought some cheap (10€) digital callipers about a year ago, before that I only had vernier callipers. They are no good for absolute dimensions, but for making knives, where pretty much everything is relative, they work great. I use them all the time, even more so when making folders. When I need to make something more precise, I use a micrometer.

I also use a small hammer a lot - I made a very short, ~12mm handle for it, I use it for everything between centre punching and peening.
12mm is really , really short handle :) BW , good one vernier calipers are pretty much precise :thumbsup:

My computer and Shop Talk
before I came here and started reading I knew absolutely nothing about working with metal. Would have never learned how to make a knife or build and use a grinder or HT oven without Shop Talk and the fine bunch of folks here that share their knowledge so people like me can learn the craft :thumbsup:

I do a lot of small layout work (big surprise) and these pens are indispensable...they write on metal with very little trouble and they're WAY finer than an Ultra Fine Sharpie (second picture).

20210203_205938.jpg 20210203_205955.jpg

Back